Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: water update  (Read 10039 times)

Offline whiteonyx

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
water update
« on: June 17, 2011, 01:26:11 PM »
whilst the Mayor was entertaining the Mayor of Kas in the Salt n Pepper restaurant this lunchtime, my wife hiyjacked his photo op when they left the arts exhibition and demanded to know what he was doing about the lack of water around the whole of Kalkan?

Rather disturbed and embarressed when approached, he had his side kick say that the water should be back on by Monday (ish), good luck to all who want a shower or flush the toilet and businesses that are going to the wall due to the poor infrastucture.

Pity that the Mayor couldn't organise a photo op next to the new pumps being fitted and overseeing them finaly working but other pressing engagments must be taking up his time and energy.

Good luck to all the unwashed in Kalkan and hope to see you all sometime down at the beach this evening with soap and shampoo in hand!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8003.0

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
Re: water update
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 02:19:25 PM »
You must be so proud.  Why not tie a stray dog to their table leg too or spray them with mosquito spray?  Does anyone really expect the Mayor to be out in boiler suit and wrench in hand?  This water situation is clearly an embarrassment to him and the Belediye in general and they must know that the longer the problems continue it is giving them bad publicity but I think it unreasonable to expect them all to stop everything until the water returns.  Maybe the mayor of Kaş was about to offer us some of their supplies.....

Offline whiteonyx

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 02:49:55 PM »
Yes, i am very proud and the dog reference just proves your ignorance to all.

I do expect the Mayor to get off his backside and be at the pumping station demanding a quick solution. Some people have had no water for 2 months, thats no laughing matter, some people have cut holidays short due to the problem, if i was the Mayor, a resignation letter should be drafted as many Turkish locals are sick of the lack of direction and leadership this Mayor is showing.

Furthermore, Kalkan was pumping water to Kas due to their shortage so your local knowledge of the situation is poor too!

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:07:23 PM »
Sadly no smiley face available with a handbag raised!

Just maybe Kaş now has a better water supply than Kalkan and they could return the favour Kalkan has done them (I knew about that, by the way).  Just maybe the Mayor has been out to see the water problem first hand.  Just maybe he said 'we must have our water back now' and someone on site said 'what a good idea - we never thought of that!' 

I will be as happy as anyone when the water supply returns but my opinion, if it's OK to have one, is that, as I said before, they realise that the lack of water is a huge embarrassment and there is clearly nothing to be gained by letting it drag on, so they must be very keen to get it sorted too.  Nowhere did I say that I find the water problems a laughing matter - it is very annoying to both tourists and residents, Turkish and British.  I just feel that if the Mayor camped out at the pumping station, he would be criticised for not addressing other problems there might be here (dogs, bins, electricity supply etc).  There are ways and ways to try to get things done and I do not believe that confronting and embarrassing him in that situation was particularly constructive.  But if the water comes back on by tonight, I salute you!

Have a nice weekend.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:23:31 PM by Enişte »

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »

Can any one tell me if the new pump finally arrived   ????????????????????

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »
Pump arrived but cannot be installed.  Has wrong size fittings for current setup.  Will cause a further unknown delay until they find a solution.

PLAN            A
                       H

E

A

D . . .
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:45:39 PM »
Well that means 14 days for the pump to arrive...................... maybe another 14 days before the RIGHT CONNECTIONS arrive, wouldn't it be easier to get some one to make them  ::) ::) ::)..............arr well we might get water by Christmas   :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 09:51:26 PM »
Surely they can't be depending on just one pump????   I thought there were at least 4 so why can't they fix some of the existing pumps??  Question:  How were they able to divert the water supply to Kas without any working pumps?  I'm just baffled by all this ???

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 06:48:42 AM »
There is a water problem every year in Kalkan, whatever the excuse or reason we all know it's not good enough, but like the dogs or the health and safety standards  we also know it's something we have to live with. It's unbelievable to us as Europeans that the council, responsible for supplying water, DON'T have to and there is absolutely no come back on them and nothing anyone can do except put up with it. Yes it is baffling, but not when you've lived here a while.
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline rookie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 07:42:22 AM »
I have heard that the water will be off till Sept as the Taxi Drivers now own the Tractors & Water
Bowsers

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 09:40:49 AM »
To suggest that the mayor should not be directly approached is ridiculas, if he dosent like difficult questions then perhaps politics is not for him and as for him doing his best, well the majority of businesses we speak to don't seem to share that view.

We are lucky and have a large back up tank but that is not the point, for a town that relies heavily on tourism to be in such a mess is a scandal, yes it happens each year but instead of getting better it's getting worse. With pumps arriving that dont fit! its turning into a farce.
Isis

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 11:07:33 AM »
Those that volunteer for and are elected to public office are on a hiding to nothing, but it's down to those that voted to consider the need for change.

Back on the subject, I have spoken to a few places in the old town this morning that have running water again after a few days without any.  Not sure how but it's a step in the right direction, while it lasts.

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 11:25:44 AM »
Does anyone know how many pumps there actually are?  A few years ago I understood that there were 12 pumps at Saklikent but getting old an unreliable so they were going to buy 3 new super-pumps last year to replace some of them but there were still 4 of the old pumps working that had been repaired.  Now it looks as though everything is dependent on this one new pump being fitted ???  Still don't understand what's going on?  How many pumps, new and old, are there and what happened to the 3 new super-pumps they bought last year that were supposed to be fitted over the winter in time for this season?

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 11:45:31 AM »
Does anyone know whether other towns between here and Saklikent (Ova, Kınık etc) are having similar problems, but with less tourists and no forum like this on which to put their views, their problems are less well known?  I understand that Yeşilköy is fine but maybe some larger towns further towards Saklikent are suffering in relative silence.

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 05:05:10 PM »
Sadly, our water earlier was a 'flash in the pan', but that was actually what we needed......

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 05:59:43 PM »
Those that volunteer for and are elected to public office are on a hiding to nothing, but it's down to those that voted to consider the need for change.

Back on the subject, I have spoken to a few places in the old town this morning that have running water again after a few days without any.  Not sure how but it's a step in the right direction, while it lasts.

Right on, Eniste ! But what are the choices for voters?  Were any of the preceding mayors any different?  Why is it that the truly qualified people (educated ones not from Kalkan) don't run for office? 

Then ... consider how much each of us pays for property tax.  A pittance compared to other countries.  Consider all the things this town needs money for: schools, road, water, electricity, waste mgmt, mosquito control and more ...  does anyone really think they rake in enough money from property taxes to cover all needs?

As for pumps, who really knows how many there were / are ?  For sure at least 1 pump was working and serving Kisla and Komurluk for some days.  For sure that valve was closed and the water sent elsewhere in the last day or two so now others have it.  For sure eventually we will get water after our gardens have dried out and our disposible income is less having forked it over to the bowser men.  For sure town planning is non-existent.

Offline Wally

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »

Just a little update to this comment. For the last 2 weeks or so we in the old town, behind ISOS have been getting every now and again low pressure water, just about enough to stick the shower head to you body, then after a hour or so its off. We do not know when water appears so? Now its been 3 days when we have had not even a drizzle. That is the update. Do not come back & say I live in Turkey! This is how it is & we do get on with it  :) 

Offline Painter Man

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 07:19:34 PM »
It's a good job the Mayor is not organising a party in the Effes brewery. It would be a shambles

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 09:01:21 AM »
I think we should give the mayor a break he is dealing with an extremely fluid and free flowing situation which is taking many twist and turns as it ebbs and flows and will take some time to dampen down; but could still end in tears, because as we all know still waters run deep. :P

My Pictures of Turkey can be seen at:            http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjv

Pet Nothing, Persecute Nothing.

Offline Painter Man

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 05:43:50 PM »
The frustrations with the ongoing water problem have clearly being exacerbated by the total lack of communication regarding both the problem and the steps being taken to resolve the problem.

Thanks to KTLN (see today’s post) we now a clear understanding of the situation. It is encouraging to see that two new pumps are being installed and that one will be in use and the other on standby.
It is just a shame that it has taken so long to obtain clear information as to the problem,  it is still not clear as to why it has taken so long to resolve this problem.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Water update

Started by clara 50 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post June 22, 2011, 11:52:07 AM
by Charlie
xx
Re: Any update on Fener?Changes!

Started by tkmaxx5 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 07:51:41 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Ecosense update

Started by onelove on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2015, 04:44:48 PM
by onelove
xx
KAPSA UPDATE

Started by saskia on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2008, 08:29:19 PM
by msr

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Beautiful Kisla May 2011

Views: 3432
By: zros
kalkan