Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How many people?  (Read 3852 times)

Offline saskia

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: Yes
How many people?
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:56:13 AM »
How many people have been put off coming to Kalkan because of things posted on this forum? Unfortunately we will never know. The reason is that once a person has decided not to come to Kalkan they would have no further interest in visiting this website. So a poll would be pointless. My point is that people should think carefully before they write anything especially if it is negative, inflammatory or over emotive. I’m sure lots of people will think that I am asking them to forget their right to freedom of speech, I am not. I am just asking people to consider the consequences of what they write. The fact is the people that write on this forum do so, in the main, because they love Kalkan with a passion, but sadly, it doesn't always come across like that. Please lets remember that many of the people who read what is written may never have actually been here. I am sure that having read some of the posts about noise, building works, electric cuts, lack of water, burglaries and of course packs of vicious dogs many people will just cross Kalkan off their ‘Places to go to’ list altogether.
In this economic climate, where a great many people are having to tighten their purse strings and chose carefully where they spend their holiday Kalkan needs all the help it can get. Someone wrote on a previous thread ‘Kalkan exists for tourism’ (I wouldn’t have put it quite like that !) but it is true that most people working in Kalkan rely on tourism to make their living – This being so, don’t we owe it to them and to Kalkan to emphasise the side of it that we love and not keep harping on about the things that annoy us?!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7846.0
www.kapsa.co.uk official website also see Friends of Kapsa on facebook http://www.facebook.com/

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: How many people?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
Saskia you are right in many ways in what you said, however to many people who live here some of the problems that you mention are important
A couple of years ago on EK there was a Residents room which was password protected and where such issues could be discussed in private away from the "holiday / touristy " forum
But it seems that people felt deprived and that it might have things to hide there and if they couldn't see what was posted on it "behind their backs" so to speak and it was removed
Everywhere has some problems and if EK was to paint a really rosey picture of the place where like Shangri La the sun always shines, everybody is wonderful  etc etc what would be the point of having the Forum and where would the indiginous population be able  to exchange views, information etc which are pertinent to them??
Not an easy answer !!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 12:12:34 PM »
Why not go one step further and have all posts vetted by a committee so only glowing reports can be posted on the forum…..you hit the nail on the head ‘free speech’ we know there is a rose tinted glasses brigade who would love this…I have suffered by posting a negative comment about a restaurant and did I get some grief from certain people……I first decided to go to Kalkan after reading both negative and positive reports…..fortunately the positive were in the majority…....... :-\ :-\ :-\.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:14:06 PM by misty »

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:23:34 PM »
Hi All,

As Kevincat says we did introduce a members only section where the owners lounge was off topic to guest accounts.... but that was not welcomed by the majority. If people feel it should be tried again I am happy to do so.

I think with everything people need to use common sense and ensure there is a balance. If people look at EK there are posts on barking dogs etc, KTLN has articles on lack of power, water, roadworks and crime. Tripadvisor also has negative posts as per EK.

The issue is that of life Im afraid - people with a grievance or annoyance feel more inclined to write a complaint letter, people who are satisfied often say nothing. Im sure most people can recall when they last wrote a letter of complaint to a company... when was the last time you wrote a letter of thanks?!

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »
'My point is that people should think carefully before they write anything especially if it is negative, inflammatory or over emotive'.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that only positive, warm and fluffy posts are acceptable.  Look at the quote above.  Why not follow the principle that you should not post on a forum anything that you would not be prepared to say to those criticised or with whom you disagree?  I know I have failed to do so before and may well do so again but it's worth thinking about.

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:35:29 AM »
Why not go one step further and have all posts vetted by a committee so only glowing reports can be posted on the forum…..you hit the nail on the head ‘free speech’ we know there is a rose tinted glasses brigade who would love this…I have suffered by posting a negative comment about a restaurant and did I get some grief from certain people……I first decided to go to Kalkan after reading both negative and positive reports…..fortunately the positive were in the majority…....... :-\ :-\ :-\.
Well said that man
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:49:43 AM »
Surely the whole point of reading any forum/trip advizer type place is to get a feel for the place you intend to go to. I would be very suspicious if somewhere only had glowing reports about it.

And, Saskia, you posted  the horrific tale of cruelty to some of the street dogs (quite rightly) & I would think that that could put some people off coming.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 01:05:24 PM »
Why should it put people off coming to Kalkan?  I would have thought it would stir kind and like minded souls to try and give more publicity/help to those who are trying to put an end to this cruelty to helpless animals.  Cast your mind back to the harrowing accounts of Romanian orphanages and the abuse carried on there,  people still visited  the country, and many got involved in naming/shaming and doing all they could to help.  Well done them! One does not have to be an animal/child fanatic, but the milk of human kindness goes one hell of a long way!

Offline saskia

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 01:14:13 PM »
My point is that people should think carefully before they write anything especially if it is negative, inflammatory or over emotive. I’m sure lots of people will think that I am asking them to forget their right to freedom of speech, I am not. I am just asking people to consider the consequences of what they write. The fact is the people that write on this forum do so, in the main, because they love Kalkan with a passion, but sadly, it doesn't always come across like that.
I am not suggesting that we should only have 'fluffy' stories on here, I am just asking people to think about what they write and the way they write it!
Just one example:-
Ever since booking our holiday the threads on this forum seem to have become more negative by the week. It was only last month that i emailed Agni travel for some advice on how best to keep our valuables and money safe in our Villa due to the problem with increased burglaries.

We have now just read some of the horrendous stories about the street dogs. Myself and my wife (especially me) are really scared of dogs. The thought of been followed home at night by a pack of stray dogs fills me with horror
After seeing this post many of the people that had written the negative comments that caused this person to consider cancelling in the first place, then went on to tell him that he shouldn't be put off coming by
a few dogs
How many other people looking at this forum don't bother to write concerning their worries about coming to Kalkan but instead just decide to go somewhere else?? We will never know!

Sally I was waiting for someone to make that point and believe me I thought long and hard about whether to post it or not. The fact is though, these incidents have to be taken seriously. The details of the last dog mentioned in that post have been reported to the jandarma, the belediye and the ministries of enviroment and tourism. Many Turkish people here in Kalkan have heard about this incident and are horrified and I am sure will let us or the authorities know if they hear or see anything that might be of use in catching the perpetrator. Our aim in posting that thread was to ask tourists and ex pat residents to be vigilant too.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:20:05 PM by saskia »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
I am glad you let us know about these matters it serves to remind us that when we are on hols etc and in relaxed mood there are those amongst us who are cowardly scum...as you say my turkish friends would be as outraged as the rest of us
Kalkan is still a wonderful place and hard work by people such as yourself help keep it that way.....(Mrs L will be in spending next week ;) )
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 02:10:25 PM »
Well said (again)! Blue Lizard ;D ;D ;D

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 03:28:19 PM »
You are right BL - horrific story which would shock anyone to the core.  Have a great holiday BL and Mrs L.  Send our love and warn them we'll be there in August!!

Offline Hummingbird

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »
I agree with all the posts here.   We do not all concur on certain matters but we obviously all agree that Kalkan is an absolute paradise and a very special place.
I have no vested interest but nobody should miss the opportunity of coming to Kalkan, it remains (despite some issues) streets ahead of most Mediterranean destinations.
I am sure that most “negative” posts are only motivated by a wish to protect the lovely people of Kalkan as a result of highlighting the relevant issue.

Offline Princess369

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 01:26:17 AM »
I think you all have very interesting points....my first visit to kalkan was two weeks ago and i'm well and trly sold on the place going back in just 61 days!!!!! But we all have places we like and dislike for a variety of reasons....I think these forums should be about what people honestly thought about the area and their experience....is that not the beauty of being human we all like different things. And i'm sure the majority of people can read good and bad things about a place and make an informed decision.

I belong to the camp that kalkan in gorgeous.....it is my heaven on earth but not everyone will agree with me.

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 08:00:58 AM »
Example:
I have been burgled, should I keep it too myself or let other people know of the risk?
There are a lot of street dogs in Kalkan, and I/We/Kids feel threatened.
Answer, you absolutley should let people know, people on holiday quite often forget the basic security and safety points they take for granted at home.
Problem, this forum is read by a minute proportion of the populace, every comment, point, opinion, complaint will be disproportinately high, reduced by the fact that (believe or not) not every one who visits and enjoys Kalkan is on this forum.
Trip advisor is a classic with this type of problem, we are yet to be all Mk2 human beings, we all like different things, places, people etc etc.
To that end read all the comments but be objective, one mans poison etc etc.
For years we (family) had a low opinion of Turkey, I read about Kalkan and took a chance, we really were not convinced it was for us.
3 years on its the one place we come back to every year, we love it, and the dogs, and the cats, mainly the people!
The fact that there have been some isolated incidents keeps us aware but does not deter us, after all my local paper reports far more crime at home, all within 2 miles of my house! ::)
I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified

Offline Wally

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 09:46:45 AM »
Legionaire what a  lovely common sense post  ;) Head in sand or blinkered  8) :-X never helped anyone. Kalkan is fantastic  & beautiful place to live in but there is only one paradise were everything is perfect & inshallah I don't won't to go there just yet  :-*

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Remember to let people know....

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 04:23:33 PM
by kalcougar
xx
Famous people

Started by Lynne T on General Discussion

33 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 09:14:24 AM
by loulou_falk
xx
Tracing people

Started by mikem on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 06:29:48 PM
by Charlie
xx
Selfish people

Started by annie the tourist on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2015, 05:07:49 PM
by parist

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Sipan

Views: 3595
By: blondie
shoes