Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Ali's Fish Restaurant and Market - opening on Monday 23 May  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Those of you in Kalkan for the next few days may like to come along to the opening of a new restaurant - Ali's Fish Restaurant and Market, located just next to Sevil Supermarket and Garanti Bank on Şehitler Caddesi.  Ali is offering an opening night special deal, with a selection of mezes, salad, a fish dish and a glass of house wine, all for the price of just 25TL.  Feel free to drop in on Monday evening - if you would like to reserve, please call Ali on 0537 478 9383.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7791.0

Offline KalkanPosh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
Won't be in Kalkan until the Friday so unfortunately will miss the opening night. By 'market' can I guess that we'll be able to buy fresh fish there too?!

Offline bryher

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Ali's Fish Restaurant and Market - opening on Monday 23 May
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 06:45:07 AM »
Oh dear Eniste, we are usually very much of the same mind in our posts but this time you are clearly promoting an untried  new outlet. That is a pure advert not a subjective recommendation. I understood that EK was not a place for free adverts of new ventures but a opportunity of expressing considered views of restaurants etc to help other visitors.
Several new establishments have appeared this year and are striving for success without prior notice. So let's give all of them a fair start or alternatively advertise them all with their opening offers.

Offline edwina

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 06:47:11 AM »
Great to hear about Ali's new fish restaurant and I know it has been an idea shaping up over a considerable time. The other attraction is that it's right opposite the Kalkan Parc restaurant which has been a favourite of mine since Cenc opened it. This is a great destination with excellent food and the space and comfort to enjoy it.

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 11:41:01 AM »
I am writing to you from the naughty step.  OK, so perhaps I should have put this original post in the events and announcements area.   I know the owner well and have eaten at his home many times and tried some of the food at the restaurant in the days running up to the opening on Monday.  Nowhere in my post did I sing the praises of this new venture, although I would be immensely happy to do so and hope others will post their views.  Recent posts have seen other new ventures advertised and pre-reviewed far more aggressively.  I simply notified EK users of a function on Monday that they might like to attend and then make up their own minds.  I won't be patrolling the village on Monday evening pressganging!  I just hope my friend's new business does well and believe that positive reviews will soon come.  I also look forward to seeing some if not all of you there on Monday.

I can confirm for Kalkan Posh that Ali will indeed be selling fresh fish - his old shop (Körfez balıkçılık) was in the corner of the yard behind and below the taxi rank and some of you may have used it and wondered where they had re-located to.  I do not know any of his fish personally but they seem very well presented and appear to have come from good homes.

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
This is useful to know, Eniste.    I will let our guests know where they can buy fresh fish - our previous advice was a bit vague trying to describe where to find the fish shop.    Quite a few guests ask the question when thinking of BBQs .   It happens to be within easy walking distance and we will certainly be looking out for it when next there (only about two weeks to go now)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »
Excellent and if your guests are too 'tired' to cook anything for themselves, there is a takeaway service too.  I appear to have helped someone with useful information - my work here is done

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
The words "take away" sound even better, Eniste.    Our guests may not be "too tired" to cook but a laziness comes over me in Kalkan and the idea of fresh fish cooked by someone else - and perhaps even some prepared salad? - produces a feeling of bliss     Love all the restaurants and will certainly be eating out a lot but it seems a pity not to sometimes have a relaxing meal on our own roof terrace.    Hopefully someone else will mix me a cocktail or two first, or g. and t.    You can tell I am already getting in the mood for some relaxation in Kalkan.    Won't be there in time for the opening but will certainly be paying Ali's a visit soon.
Hope he does well.    The new situation should be more visible than his previous place.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
Eniste
Will he be making "proper fish and chips in a lovely light crispy batter with mushy peas" maybe??? ;)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Why won't he be doing this....I bet if he did it would be a sell out ????

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 04:29:50 PM »
Can I suggest that you drop in and see - some old friends of his dropped in last night and had fresh fried fish (sea bass fillet) and chips and veg, and one of the waiters went to the supermarket to get them some 'sauces'.  I am sorry if this too much of a recommendation for the advertising police.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 04:55:36 PM »
Yes I am afraid that it is advertising so you will have to be slapped with a wet Mezgit fillet and then lightly battered  :D

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 10:20:11 AM »
Just to let you know that Ali's opening night went well and 30 customers seemed to enjoy their evening up on the terrace.  The meze that I had was delicious.  I fear that I have not yet tried every new restaurant, so should not really allowed to express an opinion, nor do I have the sworn statements of last night's guests, but those that I spoke to seemed very happy.  Good luck to Ali and the team.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 06:56:54 PM »
How's the price of Efes research coming along, Nick?  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 09:49:49 AM »
Sorry for the delay in replying but I bring good news - Ali's will be selling large bottles of Efes for 4TL!

I also had a fantastic dinner there last night - meze and grilled trout - delicious!  Why not drop in for a drink and a meal and pick up on of their snazzy new brochures?  They will also be operating a delivery service from next week.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »

Hi Nick - you are obviously working there now or are you just Ali's PR man ??   ;D

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 12:35:17 PM »
So did you not want to know about the good prices?  I'm helping them with publicity and knocked up the brochures and cards etc for them - that's it.  I appear to be the first person on this forum who has done this for a friend's business, ever.... oh no, there seem to be a few others too!

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 12:43:29 PM »
There's plenty of people on here here raving about their favourite places so see no problem in publicising a new one. We are free to decide to go or not..................
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
Yes, it is good to know prices and that they will be doing a delivery service.    I will pick up a leaflet from them and leave it for guests to see.  I love fish so hope to be trying Ali's very shortly.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »

Eniste askim - if I mention your name will I get a discount ??

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Fenner's Cat

Views: 3118
By: Pompeyalbie
Kalkan at night