Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Newbie thinking of visiting Kalkan concerned about Dogs nuisance?  (Read 4015 times)

Offline tonyp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Hi All,
Firstly I must congratulate you on this site, its full of great information.
My wife and I were considering coming to Kalkan next year as we want a change from Majorca (quiet side!) Kalkan looks perfect for us as it has the most beautiful scenery and lots of interesting things to see and do. After reading on here about the roaming dog problem we are not sure? as we had a lovely relaxing holiday spoilt by the constant barking of dogs one year and as its the only 2 weeks rest we get in a year we don't really want that. Is the problem as bad as it sounds? We were hoping Kalkan would be our first introduction to Turkey and don't really know where else to go first?

Thanks
Tony

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6953.0

Offline annav

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zinnia
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Newbie thinking of visiting Kalkan concerned about Dogs nuisance?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 11:51:31 AM »
Hi Tony,

Its definately not a problem for us. We've been 4 times this year (Kalamar Road area) and although yes there are quite a few dogs around we dont expreience any noise. Unless your unlucky enough to be next to a property which owns a noisy dog (which you could get wherever you go on hols unless you're in the middle of nowhere) you will be fine.
Please dont let it put you off, its the most amazing place  :laugh:

Anna

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
At risk of starting another for and against dogs debate.... ..i wonder where i'm going right? because after many years visiting iv'e never been kept awake by dogs.......maybe it's the Efes! :P ::) (thats the Turkish beer Tony! available in wetherspoons and Tescos if you fancy a hooter before you go!)don't let  it put you off it is a beautiful area with many characters and smashing people.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:19:31 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline tonyp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 12:28:23 PM »
Wow responses already!!
Many thanks Annav and Blue lizard, It's good to hear the nuisance isnt as bad as it seems!! I must say the more I look at Kalkan the more it appeals. I will be posting again to request info on any tour operators here who have good hotels, one thing we really want is a sea view from our room balcony.

Cheers!
Tony

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
2 operators are      www.exclusiveescapes.co.uk  or www.tapestryholidays.com    but why not look in the accommodation section at the top of the page? book a flight and do it independantly..people on here will guide you through anything you need to know..we have been going independantly for years and love the freedom and choices..there are also rentals available from www.ownersdirect.com anything else fire away!! ;) ....(p.s. Easyjet are currently pretty good on flight prices but they will go up the longer you leave it)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 01:00:22 PM by blue lizard »

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 01:31:23 PM »
Hi Tony

We like u had always visited Majorca for the last 15 years (Cala D'or) then decided to try Turkey and fell into Marmaris (Yuk) then last year discovered Kalkan and can honestly say it is soooooo much nicer than majorca just wished we had found this magical place years ago and if u love food then WOW. I am not a particular dog lover but I can honestly say they didn't bother us at all ok so u get the odd stray on the beach and sometimes around the restaurants but they generally go away if u shoo them (if that's the right word) Please don't let it put u off I never had any lost sleep from barking and anyway the rest of the place more than makes up for any so called dog nuisance.I agree with other posts do the travel yourself and book your hotel direct if u can everyone on here is soo helpful u can't fall off.
Chrissy

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
We visited Kalkan for the first time in June and never found them to be a problem. We stayed at the Lizo which i believe is on Kalamar road and never heard them barking although as Blue lizard says the Efes and Raki could help!!! Yes there are dogs around and as i'm a dog lover it doesn't bother me but if you're not then i would say just ignore them and they won't bother you. Kalkan is such a beautiful resort so please don't let the dogs put you off coming. We can't wait to get back next June!!
Nicky

Offline tonyp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 03:29:28 PM »
Great response, really good info, I will now look at hotels and plan our trip, we were thinking of June or Sept as we don't like it too hot like July and August. As its our first ever trip to Turkey it will be so exciting finding the different excursions etc... We are a couple late 40's and just 50 (that's me!!) and we do like to walk or use local transport as we are non drivers. We both like Historical sites and shops and markets etc... The wealth of restaurants looks amazing!!! Thank you ALL so much for your input and I will no doubt be back for more!!

Tony

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
Hi tony.......next year is only our 3rd year and its great. Room with a view! its hard not to find that. Never stayed in a hotel but 99% of people on here that stay in them can highly recommend some for you. As Mr Blue says why not try Owners direct, we go through them and stay at the same place.....just fantastic, 5 minutes walk to the center and very well priced. I used to be a chef in my younger days and I can say for sure that the restaurants, food and drink is the best I have ever had. Cala Dor has some good cooks but not like Kalkan. And the cooking is matched by the food service care and attention. The people of Kalkan are amazingly friendly and the kind of people that visit there are out for a great experience without any agro or loudness. Dogs....yes we see a dog here and there but there have never been any problems where we stay and I have never heard any barking problems. I could agree that its the EFES, wine or cocktails...... but I don't agree with dogs drinking. We have been in late October and this year September 6th. Both times fantastic weather but pool warmer in September. Some people said that August was a little noisier this year because a tour operator went bust that normally went to Marmaris and sent their customers to kalkan. Not trying to sound snobby in any way but if you want a burger for every meal and noise then Marmaris can suit some peole. Kalkan is full of light minded people that love food and drink. You'll not be disappointed. Regards Ray

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 07:12:07 PM »
Hi Tony
We've been coming to kalkan since 1997...... The dogs tend to join in at the early morning Mosque calling. and yes the dogs can be a pain in the *** but most of the dogs are loveable characters and Kalkan wouldn't be the same with out them. It's a great place to explore the Lycian Cities. Kalkan offers a wealth of good restaurants and cafe's with a wide range of accomadation. I'm sure you'll have a lovely time.

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
All the Kalkan residents, on two legs or four, have always been friendly towards us!
All kidding aside, there are lots of dogs, but they've never caused us any issues.
It's a great place with everything you need for a "chill out" or "sociable" holiday. 
Hope to be back next year.
Oh, and it wouldn't be the same without the furry four leggers!

L
if you can walk you can dance

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 04:49:32 PM »
We fell in love with Kalkan on our first visit a few years ago and have enjoyed every holiday since...however we haven't been for a couple of years and the feedback I'm getting is its losing some of its charm due to the requirements to satisfy the holiday trade....I'm all booked for 2011 and I'm hoping that I will not be disappointed but some how feel it will not be as it was....... 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 04:51:38 PM by misty »

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 10:42:31 PM »
Hi TonyP. We usually stay at Komurluk, wonderful views and far enough from Kalkan centre not to hear any dogs. However last May we stayed off the Kalamar Road and I was kept awake one night by dogs.    One very long night!

Last October, back to Komurluk, bliss and peace! Cheers, Allan.  8)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:44:47 PM by AllanChris »
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
Visiting Kalkan for the first time

Started by Nila on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 08:43:05 PM
by felicity
recycled
Visiting Kalkan September

Started by keith on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 07:59:51 PM
by keith
xx
Advice on visiting Kalkan

Started by HappyHolidayer on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post August 28, 2012, 08:08:17 PM
by PennyM
recycled
Visiting Kalkan next week for first time

Started by KanKan on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 12:30:29 PM
by KanKan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal