Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan in November - 1st time visit  (Read 7720 times)

Offline freckles:)

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Kalkan in November - 1st time visit
« on: October 17, 2010, 03:11:10 PM »
Hello,

After some general research my boyfriend and I have just booked our holiday to Kalkan, we weren’t lucky enough to stumble across this fab website before we booked but better late than never!

We'd be really grateful if any of you could help answer some questions we have, so firstly a little info about our stay:

We have booked to visit between Nov 6th-16th 2010 and will be staying in a townhouse approx 5 mins walk from the beach, which we think is pretty much in the centre. We know that, being out of season, a lot of the bars/restaurants, excursions and such like will be closed during our stay.  We are really looking forward to visiting as it seems such a beautiful and relaxing place.  We are hoping this holiday will be a mixture of romance and exploring! Oh, and we have hired a jeep for our stay so we can visit other places too....

So our questions are:

1. November Weather: We know it's hard to say but from what we have read it's likely to be warm-ish (18-22c) and sunny during the day and chilly at night but with a chance of rainy outbursts. Could anyone please offer any further info, it would be great to hear from others who have visited at this time of year before?

2. Things to do:  Given that, (well from what we have read), much of Kalkan shuts down during this time –what, if anything, is there to do?  Weather permitting we will be enjoying the beaches but ideally would like to know if any excursions still run? We were keen to see the sunken city. Also, will the markets still be on? Are most of the shops likely to be closed too?

3. Eating Out: Any help on bars and restaurants which will remain open would be much appreciated please.

4. Fishing: We have seen advice saying no permit is required, and another that it is. Can anyone clear this up at all? Any tips on the best places to fish, where to get bait/tackle shops and whether or not it would be possible to hire a small fishing boat for the day would be SO brilliant!

5.  Baths/Thermal spas: Do you know if these stay open?

6. Burglaries: Having seen a fair amount of forum posts, here and elsewhere, regarding break-ins we just wanted to ask to see what the general opinion is about this. We think it seems fairly opportunistic and not targeted but if you do have any info it would put our minds at rest.

7. Snorkelling – best place to go? Should we bring our own stuff or will we be able to hire/purchase kit out there?

That’s about it (for now!)....thank you to anyone who responds, it will be a great help to us!  :) :) :) :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6574.0

Offline freckles:)

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: Kalkan in November - 1st time visit
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:09:28 PM »
excellent feedback...thanks  :'( :'( :'(

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:30:11 PM »
Hello freckles,

I'm sure others will be along shortly.

You can also use the "Search" facility above, at the top of the page. I put in Kalkan in November and this came up, below, from 2008.

You could try other searches.

Adam's Restaurant will be open for sure. If you would like to leave the Jeep at home, he will pick you up and drop you off for free to save the 4 or 5 kilometre drive each way. You can reach Adam on his mobile on 0090 533 414 5028. We only got back last night, and every day another restaurant seemed to be closing. But I would think it would be fantastic to explore the area - a day trip to Gombe, or to Kas and even Demre, or Gocek in the other direction, and Fetiye etc etc. It would be stunning, i think and I'm quite envious.

cheers

Antler

Hi kalkanbelle, 95% of the restaurants and bars will be closed.
Therearen''t many people around out of season, even most of the Turks leave
 It will have rained heavily by November and cool to cold at night, you will need some heating
 Too cold for the pool,
 And   yes kalkan becomes one big building site, with huge lorries and digging   machines everywhere piling into the rock, and pouring cement all over   the place which is a bit noisy.
 No they don''t always stop at night, which again can be a bit noisy
 Not a great deal to do unless you are keen on walking, or looking at damage caused by storms.
You''ll need a sturdy pair of shoes as those roads that don''t get washed away tend to be full of mud and storm debris.
 The best thing about kalkan in winter is the tremendous storms and heavy rain

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:31:12 PM »
Im sure someone will be along soon to help you :)

Offline molly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:09:01 PM »
HI

We are there in November from about the 14th later than you and we dont mind the weather the building the cold etc etc Give me a night in Kalkan anytime with or with out Tourists. There is normally 8-10 decent restuarants. Pockets of warm sunshine, lots of walks and places to see, we read, light a fire, drink and eat! enough said! maybe see you there. We also go out early january and really love this time too!

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 11:21:03 PM »
Hi freckles,
   We have been there in late November and the weather through the day for the most part was good. Whilst the pools will be cold our son went in November a couple of years ago and he used our pool, but I have to say he was braver than I would be!
  There will be enough places to eat open and a few shops will still be open. The market will also be there on Thursday.

There are plenty of places to visit within an hours drive Patara beach is only about 15 minutes away and the remains of the old city are well worth visiting. The sea should still be reasonably warm and swimming off Patara beach is easy as it slopes quite gently. Masks & snorkels can be bought in several shops (Yali general store even has wet suits).

Fishing can be done off the rocks but best done with hand lines, there is a shop down near the harbour that sells fishing tackle. Bait? chicken from the butchers or fish from the fish monger in the square behind the taxi rank. You don't need a permit to fish from shore but you should have one if you fish from a small boat.

There is a Hamam behind Yali store where you can take a Turkish bath & massage.

Burglaries? you would have to be extremely unlucky to experience this, yes there have been some but sensible precautions that you would normally take at home should keep you safe, walking around town is generally very safe.

As for the post from Antler who quoted from a post from 2008, this is someone's sad disillusioned view of a place that we are more than happy to visit 'out of season'. There is much less building work going on at the moment, although there probably will be some going on.

Please don't be put off, Kalkan is a beautiful little town with warm friendly people.  Enjoy!
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 08:12:29 AM »
Thıs wıll be my 5th wınter ın Kalkan and November has varıed each year but mostly mıxed weather some great sunny days and chılly evenıngs and some breathtakıng storms too.
Dıfferent restaurants are open every year but always a few and although the real tourıst shops wıll close the supermarkets are open and Vessıla and Brako ıs open all year for a bıt of retaıl therapy.
The Kapsa (street anımal charıty) fundraısıng coffee mornıng ıs on at Kleo Bar ın the Harbour on the 7th and thats always a fun day out.
Vısıtıng the local sıtes ıs much better at thıs tıme of year and the buses are runnıng to Kas and Fethıye all year round.Also the new local bus ıs reported to be runnıng all year too.Its a nıce tıme to explore.
So ıts t-shırts,jumpers,flıpflops and decent walkıng shoes or boots and maybe a brolly just ın case!!!
Hope you have a great holıday - maybe see you around

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 12:12:21 PM »
Hi freckles......the turks are not really into fishing. i have asked the same question for help before and get nowhere. I am a keen fisherman and go most weekends in lancashire. You could give it a go in the sea but thats not for me, ever since watching "jaws" ie. we need a bigger boat. I tried the river saklikent just 15 minutes from Kalkan in early September this year but caught jot. Was going to buy some trout on the way back to cook on the barby for lunch but ended up with chicken and lamb.....what the hell. As far as i know you don't need a licence to course fish with a rod in Turkey and you can take home what you catch if your a tourist......what a place you may think....but its probally cos there aint any bloody fish. Going to try nearer to the gorge next year and maybe even poach at Yaka park. Just gotta catch fish! We should buy a few acres and dig some big oles and fill em with water and fish, then hire out fishing kit...we could make a bomb. Weather in November....don't know but was there end of Oct last year and never saw a cloud, around 25 each day. pool was cold, though it didn't stop me. Have fun, its gonna be better than here in my thermals trying to hook a chilly worm. Ray

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 03:50:06 PM »
I, to suffer from fishing withdrawal symptoms!!
I plan to pack a telescopic rod and a few bits on my next visit and fish from the rocks anywhere I can around the bay.
It will beat lying on a sun bed all day!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:55:49 PM by Legionaire »
I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 04:45:05 PM »
Don't forget the ice box for the EFES.....bait..... i mean. Sea to warm to cool anything.

PS. just thought..........if the CIA or MI5 were reading this thread they would proberly be infiltrating my computer now for saying "we could make a bomb". oh no I have been watching too much "spooks"...............screen goes dead...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:35:12 AM by cleworthallray »

Offline DeeDee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 09:01:48 AM »
Hi Freckles
Go and meet Durali at the Kleo Cafe bar which is down at the harbour next to the town beach, he keeps Kleos open all year. 

Offline elainecris

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 01:36:58 PM »
We are going to be in Kalkan during November too. It's our first time in November but we have been in early January before. At that time, Aubergine was open on the harbour front and had open fires lit to make the evening cosy. Oz Adana was also open (though clearly not the terrace) for more traditional Turkish food and the Pida oven kept it warm and toasty in there too. Patara was wonderful we were the only ones in the Amphitheatre!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
where to stay, first time visit

Started by Harcourt on Accommodation and Hotels

17 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 09:00:23 AM
by pw
xx
first time visit - end June - many questions!

Started by RosaMoline on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 10:22:54 PM
by bevilj
xx
What is Kalkan like in November?

Started by kalkanbelle on Weather

2 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 01:47:20 PM
by kalkanbelle
recycled
First Time in Kalkan, In fact - First Time Abroad Alone!! HELP!!

Started by ed2 on General Discussion

23 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 11:42:34 AM
by alantj

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Cute!

Views: 4392
By: alisonh

Views: 4032