Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: report from 1st visit 2-9 October  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Evadee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
report from 1st visit 2-9 October
« on: October 17, 2010, 12:03:17 AM »
Just got back from our holiday to Kalkan (2nd – 9th October).  We stayed at the Kalkan Regency and were booked through Exclusive Escapes.  We were originally booked at the Serra Boutique Hotel but were advised in July that this could no longer be accommodated so were offered an upgrade to the Regency at no extra cost.

Flight out of Heathrow was straightforward and stress free.  Exclusive Escapes have their own check in desks so there was no queue (was this really Heathrow?!).  The flight was slightly delayed by about 30 minutes or so.  BMI flight was comfortable and surprisingly spacious (even for cattle class!).  We arrived at Dalaman early evening and I believe we got to the hotel around 9-9.30pm.  Transfer provided was excellent and rather intriguing as the journey was almost all complete darkness.  On arrival at the hotel we were given a warm welcome and told “leave your bags we’ll take care of them now, you’re on holiday now, relax, come and have a drink”.  We were taken to the roof top bar and offered a refreshing lemon drink.  I think we were both almost speechless as the view from the Regency bar is stunning, all you can see is the lights of Kalkan at night in this sea of black, wow!  We had intended to go into town to eat but were too tired, so went for the easy option of eating at the hotel rooftop restaurant (which was excellent) and enjoyed our first bottle of Angora red.

Sunday – first day.  We were eager to explore so ventured straight to the town to wander round the shops and harbour (only a 10-15 min walk).  We stopped for a cold drink at the bar right by the harbour and started to adjust to the heat.  We then went back to the hotel as we both had our Turkish baths booked (complimentary).  The Turkish bath was surprisingly gentle and they were very easy on us.  The 15-20 minutes in the steam room allowed hubby to work up a sweat but I felt I could have done with more like 30 minutes to get the full benefit.  Really enjoyed snuggling up in the warm towels afterwards and our first apple tea – delicious.  We then spent the rest of the afternoon by the pool in the shade.  We ate out at the Olive garden that evening, very nice, DH had the goat dish and I had chicken with lemon wrapped in aubergine.  Think we had a nightcap back at the hotel bar which became a nightly habit.

Monday – We decided to go to the Mahal beach club which was complimentary for our stay.  This beach club is wonderful, the terraces are laid out so that you have plenty of space around you and never feel crowded.  The beach club always seemed to have plenty of free spaces.  There are plenty of swimming platforms dotted around and a pontoon to swim out to.  Quite funny how we managed without towels this day too as on leaving the hotel we asked the receptionist if they were available at the beach club and she advised yes, guess what, when we got to the beach club they weren’t!  it wasn’t a problem at all though really as we soon dried out.  We had lunch at the beach club (salads) which was excellent.  We ate out at Kalamaki that evening, DH had lamb shank and I can’t remember exactly what I had, but it was all good!  We browsed round the shops after dinner and I had a good mooch in Just Silver and spotted a bracelet I was quite keen on.

Tuesday – Hubby decided he was now ready for his first Turkish shave and by now we also needed to top up on cash, so we strolled into town.   We tried to get some cash out of the ATM by Tesko but had no luck, we wandered up the hill (towards the market place) and used the Deniz bank one, successfully!  No idea of the name of the Turkish barbers but it’s like a wooden garden shed on the left hand side a little was after Tesko towards the the old town and harbour, he’d seen a few queueing up before so reckoned it must be a good one (it was just 7 lira).  I had a potter round the shops, eyed up the handbags but didn’t see one liked enough (thank goodness).  We then decided to spend the rest of the afternoon at the Mahal beach club again, as we liked it so much, so went back to the hotel to get ready.  Decided to stop at Chillies for lunch on the way back down again, can’t remember what we had now, probably Pide and I know DH had Ayran to drink as he’d had one at the beach club the day before and loved it.  They are quite full on at Chillies aren’t they?  Mr Happy singing all the time (I want what he’s on) and the other chap kept calling me “Lady Jane”!  (my name’s not Jane!).    Wandered down to the harbour to catch the “putput” boat out to the beach club.  Met a lovely English couple on the boat who insisted on dragging us halfway up the Mahal steps above the beach club to see the infinity pool and more of the complex, what a stunning view.  Hubby has said if we ever go back we’re staying there next time, but I know he doesn’t mean it as we have this never go somewhere twice policy.  I had a Balinese massage booked for the afternoon in the cave they have there and it was the best massage I’ve ever had, fell asleep on the sunbed afterwards.  We ate at Trio later on the harbour, it was ok but I felt something was missing; DH had stuffed squid and I had Sea bass, had a bottle of Kankaya white and I developed chronic stomach ache.  I suffer from IBS and acid stomach so it was probably just too acidic for me, but it did spoil my evening a bit.  Went back to Just Silver and bought the silver bracelet I’d eyed up the night before.

Wednesday – We spent the whole day at the Mahal (yeah we liked it there!) had salads for lunch at the restaurant above.  We had a table booked at Mussaka for the evening (booked it on the Sunday and it was the first available night!), we had starters (meze I think) and Moussaka with a bottle of Angora red. 

Thursday – Market day! Wasn’t going to miss this.  Wandered around then wandered around again to purchase: Green loose tea (for my parents) echineaca tea, apple tea, Turkish coffee, sweet paprika, lemon salt and a mixed spice for meat, Armani and Diesel T-shirts for the teens back home, pashmina for me, 3 smaller pashmina/scarfs (gifts), small painted bowl (gift)  and a tea strainer!   Then when we got to the fruit and veg area I was so wishing we were self catering, amazing!  Hubby decided then to go back for the full works at the barbers as in shave and head shave (he has number 2), good Lord he was in there for the best part of 1 hour!  I had a potter and very enjoyable iced coffee at Café Leon where I met Old affectionate ugly (but cute!) cat, all it took was a little stroke on the cheek as he wandered over to say hello and then he was suddenly up on my lap demanding more affection!  He literally sprawls over you front legs over your arm too so you really are helpless but to give him a fuss and listen to him purring loudly.  The English lady at Café Leon said they had kind of adopted him as they felt nobody else would feed him as he is so ugly and old.  Finally managed to get DH out of the barbers, his hair did look good mind and decided to go back and get ready to hit the beach club again.  Before going to the harbour we stopped at Alternatif for lunch, shared meze which was very good.  Got to the harbour and discovered the boat wasn’t running to the Mahal and it was only open to residents as the weather was a bit off (overcast and light drizzle off and on).  Did we want to try another beach club? No (probably should have done) but settled for an afternoon back at the pool.  Back at the pool DH decided it was his time for a massage, he had pulled his neck muscle just before we flew out so decided he was ready now for a neck and back massage at the hotel which did help him a lot.  We had called Adam the day before to book a table so he picked us up (with his very sweet little daughter).  Adams restaurant is stunning and this was in pitch black darkness, we obviously couldn’t see the view but in someways that made it all the more magical.  DH had fried liver for started (which he is still talking about now!) and mixed kebab to follow and I had the saffron chicken dish, it was all very tasty and we had a bottle of Angora red (much cheaper than in the town restaurants).  I am sad to say (for Adam) that we had the restaurant to ourselves that night, lovely for us though.  I really hope Adam and his family are successful over the next few years, the restaurant is very special with the tables spaced out really well.  I know the cuisine may not be stylish and trendy enough for some but we really enjoyed our meals there and felt the food was real home cooking at it’s best and Adam is so hospitable.

Friday – our last full day and we were booked on the Regency’s Gulet cruise.  The boat is huge and is supposed to take up to 16 guests, there were only 9 of us.  I really don’t know where the day went but we were treated like royalty and cruised around the bay stopping for swimming, delicious lunch and tea on board.  One of the best days.  Decided to spend our last night at the hotel restaurant, they were having a lamb spit roast and it was delicious.  We were also served meze and a spicey lentil soup which we really liked.  It was slightly chilly on the rooftop restaurant that night even with my pashmina (maybe because we'd been in the sun all day on the boat?), anyhow the hotel staff announced that winter had arrived in Kalkan and wheeled out the patio heaters!

Saturday – bummed around by the pool in the morning.  12 noon went back to the room to shower and pack, checked out at 1pm and had lunch by the pool side (my last Pide) and seeing as it was the last day a glass of rose and icecream to follow.  I think I regretted the icecream by the time we reached Dalaman airport, not used to such a large lunch!  Flight was 6.20pm.  Got to LHR at 8.45 Gmt to pick up a call from youngest son saying he’d been in hospital (slight panicking going on now) as he’d dislocated his kneecap playing rugby but was okay (phew!). Seemed to wait forever for the bags, was glad we parked just a few minutes walk away at shortstay carpark 1A, got home just before midnight and back to reality.   

Sorry report's a bit long, I do waffle  ;D           

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6572.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: report from 1st visit 2-9 October
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:51:34 PM »
Great report! ...do you still have the don't go anywhere twice policy? or are you going to be a Kalkan regular? ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Evadee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: report from 1st visit 2-9 October
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:41:44 AM »
Thanks Blue Lizard  :)  I'd love to say we're going back again, it is a truly special place and exceeded our expectations, but it is very unlikely :(

We did both feel Kalkan is just on the edge of turning, the large screen TV's etc.  We have both convinced ourselves that it wouldn't be quite as special if we returned again in future, we want to keep the special memories of Kalkan as we found it the first time.

Besides there is so much more of the World to discover and too many places on our wish lists!  ;D  Definitely ticked all the right boxes though for a R & R week, we normally would be more active, exploring etc on most other holidays.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Re:ANOTHER HOLIDAY REPORT - 1st VISIT

Started by Bob & Jayne on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 08:01:27 PM
by Chucky
thumbup
HOLIDAY REPORT - 1st VISIT

Started by TC on Holiday Reports and Reviews

8 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 08:24:50 PM
by Potter
xx
October visit

Started by popps on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post October 21, 2008, 10:18:49 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
First visit in October - already looking to go again!

Started by kevtamuk on Introduce Yourself

7 Replies
Last post August 22, 2014, 12:32:44 PM
by Mayday1

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Fernez Bay

Views: 2600
By: Kalkan regular
kalkan