Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: First visit in October - already looking to go again!  (Read 3034 times)

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
First visit in October - already looking to go again!
« on: August 20, 2014, 03:28:57 PM »
As the title says - we (my husband and myself) have a week booked at the Likya Pavilion in October and cannot wait.

We have visited Turkey before staying firstly in Marmaris ( which was a bit too busy for us) and then in Fethiye - where we enjoyed visiting Olu Deniz too.  Just love the Turkish people, food and scenery and are particularly looking forward to visiting Kalkan. 

Since booking we have had numerous people tell us that it is their favourite place to visit in Turkey - and looking at the reports on here (Which I have thoroughly enjoyed reading) I think we are in for a treat.

As for looking to book to go again, even though we haven't been yet.  My mother in law is 90 next year and a very fit and active 89 year old she is.  Anyway we said we would like to treat her to a holiday anywhere in the world as a birthday treat and she has picked Turkey.  She has been on numerous holidays, Greece, a med and Norwegian cruise and also accompanied us to Disney World in Florida quite a few times (even kayaking in a mangrove swamp at the age of 75+).  So we are hoping that Kalkan will be the ideal place for her to join us and our 2 daughters who will be 24 and 21 then.

Our only concern is the steepness of the hills there - in spite of the fact she is very fit do you think this might be an issue - if so are there any areas we should concentrate on looking for villas that might be easier to navigate.  We can then have a look in October and see what takes our fancy.

Sorry for the long ramble - but any guidance would be much appreciated.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12329.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: First visit in October - already looking to go again!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »
First of all, you've chosen a great place for your first trip to Kalkan. The Pavillions was new last year and has perfect views and is very close to the old town and would be a good location for your mother-in-law should you wish to return there. The walkways between the accommodation are newly constructed paths and there are rails to assist. The paths lead down to a flat walk into the old town, although it is not a properly constructed road in some parts.
I think you will be able to judge for yourselves when you are there in October if the hills will be a problem for her. If you can tear yourselves away from your beautiful location it would be a good idea to wander around the village and see where might be good - walking down some of the hills presents its own challenges too. That said, Taxi's are plentiful and even someone with mobility issues can get around.
Have a great time :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 05:09:07 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Kevtamuk, as K4E has said firstly you have chosen a fabulous place for your holiday.  Yes, it is hilly, but the Taxis really are everywhere and you will be able to get around with the your mother in law.  The other option is maybe the Likya Pavilion have a courtesy bus into town, some of the hotels do, but worth checking that out too.

Wishing you a great holiday, and look forward to hearing all about it when you have time.  :D

J&B

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 05:14:39 PM »
Hi Kevtamuk,

Enjoy your stay in October.I have sent you a PM.Thanks.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:19:06 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum. You'll love Kalkan and fire away if you have any burning questions.  :)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:08:27 AM »
If you build in a little extra for taxis back she will be alright, they aren't expensive. If you're near the top of the town it's fairly flat to get to the taxi rank. When my old dad used to come with us if we had gone into the middle of the town to eat or shop we would then walk down to the harbour rather than back up the hill and get a taxi from the end of the harbour. Taxis can now get you to the middle of the town as they can drive into the car park located there.

Offline kevtamuk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
Thanks for all your kind responses.  We will be sure to have a good look around the town in October at suitable villas - we have a long list of restaurants and bars we want to try so will definitely be out and about regardless of how wonderful our accommodation is.

It's very reassuring to hear that taxis are plentiful and a good tip to walk down and get a taxi from the harbour.

Off now to catch up on the trip reports and make more notes about all the wonderful places to eat, drink and visit.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
Hi Kevtamuk,

I have left a PM reply for you.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
October visit

Started by popps on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post October 21, 2008, 10:18:49 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
report from 1st visit 2-9 October

Started by Evadee on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post October 18, 2010, 07:41:44 AM
by Evadee
xx
7 nights in Kalkan, October - places to visit please

Started by Harrogate_female on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 03:15:55 AM
by Brooksie
xx
May or October?

Started by citytillidie on Weather

6 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 10:25:51 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal