Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Gebeler thermae springs  (Read 10274 times)

Offline iminei

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Gebeler thermae springs
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:34:43 PM »
hi,
has any one any information o the Gebeler thermic springs?

Where they are? how to get there? are there any tours to them?

Many thanks, in advance, you fonts of all knowledge!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6192.0

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
Re: Gebeler thermae springs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »
Hi again Imenei
Boy, are you going to be busy this holiday!
have no idea if you can get a trip from Kalkan (though no doubt there will be someone along soon with tons of local info - but the fact that you mentioned Thermic Springs and because of my recent visit to the 'Bath Thermie Spa' peaked my curiosity.
So I had a google and so far have only this dialogue from a Fethiye website - there seems to be more than one place:
" Girmeler (Gebeler) Thermal Spring: is located at the Girmeler Village in the Kemer District of Fethiye. It is at a distance of 38 km. to the city centre. The thermal waters contain sulphur, sodium chloride, iron, calcium and magnesium and can cure skin diseases (acne, burns, open wounds), rheumatism, lumbago, sciatic, intestinal infections, gynaecological disorders, haemorrhoid, stomach ailments and sterility. The thermal springs in three different caves, discovered ages ago, are at the disposal of both local residents and tourists. They can be reached by daily tours, as well as by regular dolmuÅŸ services.
Sultaniye (Kapniç) Thermal Spring (Köyceğiz): the Sultaniye Thermal Spring, at a distance of 6 km. to Köyceğiz, Mugla, served as a Health Clinic during the Roman, Byzanthian, Selchukian and Ottoman times and was a well-developed, prominent health centre especially during the Roman times. According to historical records, there was an inscription above the entrance of this health clinic, saying, "In God's name, death cannot enter here". The Ölemez Mountain nearby is named after this thermal spring. The waters of the Sultaniye Thermal Spring are used for the treatment of kidney and liver ailments.

... let me know if you come up with anything else - be good to go!
:)
if you can walk you can dance

Offline iminei

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:59:41 PM »
WOW !!! :o Lorilou, you really are a FOAK...(no that's not rude!)
Car hire then?? not too far from Kalkan? and driving at 20km to avoid those dodgy police radar traps I've been reading about!!
we went to some thermal springs in Saturnia (Italy) when we there in 2005, smelled terrible but instantly cleared my hangover, (and turned my silver bangle black!!) but it was wonderful and i reckon the first lot could sort out all my ailments! hahahahaha

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:45:07 PM »
Hi Iminei - I was so blown away with the effects of the Bath Spa waters that I'd be really interested to find out what the Thermic spa waters near Kalkan might do!
Well done you for suggesting them.  ;D So really, if you find out any more I'd love to hear about it. Thanks ...

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 11:22:38 AM »
 I just had a look at google maps and it's about 59.8 km along the D400 and takes about an hour to drive there (according to Google not me)

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 11:25:40 AM »
Hi Wendy
Thanks for that. Google maps, of course. Dur.
I'll look for some trips as well ... be a good day out!

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 11:45:15 AM »
Yes, I think my creaky joints may benefit from a dip too!!

Offline Will

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 11:59:25 AM »
  As far as I know, none of the local tour operators does tours to the Girmeler thermal springs and caves complex. 

We went there about 3 years ago and found it by accident having been to Saklikent.  It is very healthy but not at all luxurious (although very clean) and you really go for the health benefits rather than for a day of pampering although I do recall that they do massage and a few healthy treatments but it is not at all like a spa, more like a very pleasant medical facility.  The people who operate the springs springs are charming and have reasonable English.

I would certainly give it  a try and you can find it quite easily if you can get as far as Saklikent.   It's very non-touristy and a totally authentic Turkish experience.

Will

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 12:06:17 PM »
It is very basic, quite old & really caters for the locals, although tourists are welcome & they are very pleased & proud to show you around. It's in a nice location/area.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 12:32:30 PM »
Oh - The Real Deal ... That's right up my street ... pampering is lovely, but after my experience in Bath last week (sorry to bang on about it - not associated with it, honestly) the effects of natural hot springs packed with minerals is far more effective than man made unctions and lotions ... In October I will endeavor to heave myself out of my sun lounger / restaurant chair / bar stool; get there and report back. Thanks all!

Offline iminei

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 01:27:26 AM »
thanks everyone! you have been a great help...
next time you hear from me may be...
'what i did on my holiday by Iminei age ** and 3/4's'

cheers me dears!

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 02:40:44 PM »
the easiest way to find them, if i remember correctly, is to drive towards fethiye, then at the kemer roundabout turn right, then shortly afterwards right again. the road you turn on to will take you past the springs, then on past the turn off to tlos and eventually on to saklikent.
closer to home there is a thermal spring just before the junction to patara on the left - as you pass there is almost always a few bikes abd cars parked up, and folk wallowing among the reeds!

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »
Hi again KalkanKiki - thanks for that - a wallow in the reeds! Hmmmm... interesting! Only thing is we've (That is, I've)  resolved that it's probably best for us not to drive this time ... I finally admitted that holidays are far more holidayish if neither me or my beloved avoid venturing behind the wheel of a car ... >:D .... something happens .... of course we are both   really, it's just not knowing where we are going and all that stuff causes a little, err, tension!

Hence my search for a trip / excursion. But if anyone knows if there's a way to do this by bus / taxi that would be fantastic.
Thanks!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 05:28:47 PM »
The thing about wallowing in the reeds is that you may not be the only thing wallowing..something nasty up your shorts is not a good idea :o :o :o ......let alone the mozzies and biteing bugs that just love reedy damp places ;) .....think i'll stick with the pool or the sea!!
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 06:14:21 PM »
No the reeds didn't sound too enticing to me either... :P
Lorilou, I'm glad the "car thing" isn't just me and BH ;D ;D  Things get a little fraught, and often you can't turn off the Turkish radio so the music - which all sounds the same (upbeat and happy) - only adds to the tension ::) ::)  We're fine on the A roads - to a certain extent - but once you go into anything resembling a town with one-way systems and local drivers ignoring everything from pedestrians to road markings....oooohhhh dear. We're bus converts - definitely!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 07:22:38 PM »
Oh Yea, Kalkan4Eva, you are so right! And, it's a holiday, after all. Let someone else do the driving... and chill!
As for the reeds - BL - I'd need to borrow your flippen flpppen then! - Or would a sparkly pair form KK4E do a better job? :)

Offline iminei

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »
Oooooppppss!1 my husband is, as I type, after talking at me for 3 days, at this very moment off to hire a jeep!!! with a mind to touring saklikent, patara, and finding the gebeler springs (my stipulation)

Very hot over here, i have found that I am after all the source of Nile!!!!rivulets of perspiration coursing down my body every which way!

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 11:24:48 AM »
Hi Iminei - you little adventurers - hope you are having the best time. Do let us know how you get on - if you ever stop for breath!!
Rivulets, indeed. lets hope you find those springs to cool you off!

Offline iminei

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 08:16:35 AM »
full reports of everything of note shall be winging their way to you as soon as i arrive home (to an internet connection that is reliable, visible and comfortable!!!)
last few days are speeding past and i am having a really good time!
9just been given some turkish delight by the night porter of the hotel...no i dont know what he is doing in reception now!....as i type this....delish!!!

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 10:51:55 AM »
Hope you are having the best time Iminei.
Safe journey home and looking forward to hearing all your stories ... (well, perhaps not all ....) :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
thermal spring at gebeler

Started by taurus on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post December 23, 2009, 10:30:01 PM
by taurus
xx
Girmeler Thermal Springs - the real Turkish Spa!!!!

Started by iminei on Holiday Reports and Reviews

10 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 11:11:10 AM
by lorilou

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal