Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Hoping to return after 8 years  (Read 2920 times)

Offline tanya

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Hoping to return after 8 years
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:46:17 AM »
Hi

My husband and I went to Kalkan back in 2001 we loved it so much booked the day we got back for 3 weeks in 2002!

We would like to go back next year and have been in touch with Turkish friends in kalkan who have a Villa which we are hoping to rent.
So I have a lot of questionsI can see from pictures and the fact that there is this forum that Kalkan has obvously changed.

• However is there anyone on here who went long ago who can tell me the pros and cons of the changes

When we went before we were never hassled in shops please tell me that this is the same

There were no all night bars/discos and i am hoping that this has not changed to much

The villa is situatied near the palm beach area - can we walk into Kalkan from here - looks as though it is on the Mahal side but not sure

Prices

food - Have just come back from Fiskardo in cephalonia dinner for 2 wine and beers about 50 euros is this comparible
Lots of questions appreciate you help

Tanya

PS
I knowI sound like and old fogey but I am hoping that Kalkan is not now full of youngsters and drinking!

x

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5972.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Hoping to return after 8 years
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:13:06 AM »
Cons of the changes?  the hillsides don't look as nice with villas creeping higher and higher....Pros? more Villas more owners..more businesses able to earn a living by staying open in winter to cater for winter breakers.....

Palm beach side? haven't stayed over there ....someone will be along i'm sure to help you

Food is as varied and expensive a you like..wine is generally expensive in restaurants with a ridiculous mark up in some..stick to beer and buy wine from the supermarkets to keep costs down....turkish wine is ok but not the greatest in the world..mostly DRY wines (sorry folks..i like vino collapso and have studied supping extensively!) but if you liked greek wine you will know what i mean.

Kalkan isn't full of boozed up youngsters...there are youngsters  about but nothing like the full on things you see and read about in the papers....turkish youngsters aren't a problem and are by and large far more respectful than our own

you will find the old town just the same ,restaurants will have moved around and shops changed but it's still got charm....and bostin big hills if you only have little legs!! ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline tanya

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:04:35 AM »
thanks for reply

Obvious that more villas would be built in such a wonderful location - we noticed more in the second year we were there.  Just wanted to make sure that the charm of the old town still exisited.  Loved sitting outside the Yali bar with Tekin and his hat serving us!!!!!   I know the owner of the Gironde Tekin and Hallit so have been in touch to rent one of his villas.

Yes i remember the hills etc again Fiskardo is the same - keeps the weight off though  LOL

Greek wine   Mmm yes know what you mean - perfectly palatable for supping over a meal though.

Having looked at airfares like everywhere getting more expensive so will keep my eye on those.

Is the Old Trading post still there???  Having just come back from Fiskardo which is nice as well -  a bottle of red was between 10-15 euros so sounds better already I think a large beer - local draught was 3.50 euros so will compare.

Tanya
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:08:16 AM by tanya »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 11:52:20 AM »
Yali bar is still there ..run by the same family..Dermus(Tekins brother) runs it but is taking a year out this year though..Tekin the hat can be found in his new bar "Cinar bar" by the Yali supermarket on the road to the market.....nice bar, comfy seats

of course Hallit(just silver) and Tekin (Estate agency)can be found either side of Yali Bar
 ;)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 12:00:28 PM »
BL -I hesitate to correct you on an obvious area of expertise, but Tekin's brother DurmuÅŸ no longer runs Yalı.  Another DurmuÅŸ now runs it and he opens earlier too, so you can drop in any time for a coffee or a refreshing cold one.  The other Tekin no longer runs Gironda (now Coast@Gironda) but can indeed be found at Just Silver Developments, next to Yali and opposite Nar restaurant. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:02:05 PM by EniÅŸte »

Offline tanya

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 01:59:05 PM »
BL -I hesitate to correct you on an obvious area of expertise, but Tekin's brother DurmuÅŸ no longer runs Yalı.  Another DurmuÅŸ now runs it and he opens earlier too, so you can drop in any time for a coffee or a refreshing cold one.  The other Tekin no longer runs Gironda (now Coast@Gironda) but can indeed be found at Just Silver Developments, next to Yali and opposite Nar restaurant.

Have had reply from Tekin and Halit so should be arranging dates soon.   Glad some of the old faces are still there..

T

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »
Hi Nickster!!....The new lad told me he was running it for a year and Durmus would be back next year? as you know having met you this was June...guess things have changed ......The new lad seems nice and more importantly keeps em coming when the glass nears empty ;)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 02:10:28 PM »
Tanya, if you are renting one of Halit's villas then you will be just above Palm Beach in Komurluk area - bit confused by you describing as Villa Mahal side of Palm, as that would be Patara Prince resort :)
I don't think Halit has any villas there, but someone may have some more knowledge on that one. Their villas in Komurluk are stunning, so you're in for a treat...and yes its walkable from there to town - and by next year the new service road linking Kisla/Komurluk to Kalkan will be complete, making it a slightly flatter walk for those staying nearer the front in Komurluk. Hopefully Palm will reopen their path from their beach club to the town beach - absolutely perfect for you. (it was open earlier in the season but falling rubble from the service road made it dangerous). There's always the water taxi - which is free to those using the beach club - you might be able to come to some arrangement with Dimitri during your stay.
The Old Trading House was still there last month!
Enjoy!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline tanya

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 03:33:10 PM »
Tanya, if you are renting one of Halit's villas then you will be just above Palm Beach in Komurluk area - bit confused by you describing as Villa Mahal side of Palm, as that would be Patara Prince resort

yep you are right just had email from Tekin it is the Patara side...

Sounds all good

Tanya

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hoping to return to Kalkan.

Started by clara48 on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 01:54:37 PM
by clara48
xx
Rhapsody Hotel- hoping it was the right choice!

Started by kizzy on Accommodation and Hotels

6 Replies
Last post February 03, 2017, 05:50:00 PM
by Anne
xx
New years Eve

Started by jcac on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 05:31:09 PM
by onelove
xx
New Years Eve

Started by pattaya on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post September 28, 2012, 05:13:39 PM
by headroom

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal