Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New Visa regs  (Read 23671 times)

Offline heyho

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: New Visa regs
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Let's be utterly logical about this shall we?  If Turkey were to impose the same restrictions/procedures on British (or, for that matter, any overseas) citizens requiring visitors/tourist visas that the UK does for Turkish citizens wishing to visit Britain, then the Turkish tourist industry would halt in its tracks.  Given that Turkey relies heavily on this industry (I'm sure we can all google the exact statistics) it would be very self-destructive if they did so.  Britain does not rely heavily on a tourist industry, and we have a welfare state to protect so we can afford to - and indeed, if we are to protect our taxpayers - should, make tourist visas difficult to obtain.

So no, it is not 'reciprocal'.  But it cannot be.

However, for those wishing to actually reside in either country, I see no reason why it should not be reciprocal.  Britain is very generous when a settlement visa has been granted in terms of healthcare, pension provision and the right to work for example, but Turkey is not.  However, I don't claim to understand the full picture of why this is, so someone else might be able to enlighten us.

Offline Derya

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2010, 05:22:48 PM »
I would of thought that it was quite obvious that I was not saying that people coming to Turkey from the UK on Holiday must have to go through the whole process of applying for visas, that would just be absurd, but why should it be different the other way round.

As I stated in an earlier post I come down on neither side of the debate on the whole change in the tourist/residency debate and I still feel the same.

I feel I am going round in circles now so this will be my last post on the subject, unless................... ;)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2010, 05:25:05 PM »
I still think the use of the word 'visa' is misleading - this is a tourist tax and nothing more, but I'm still happy that the change in the rules has been rescinded or at least postponed.

Offline heyho

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »
It must be different "the other way round", i.e., if Britain were to allow people from outside the EU to enter the country on a ten pound, three month tourist visa, for a number of reasons:

There is a perception of Britain, rightly or wrongly, which is that opportunities are greater there in terms of making money.  Local people see us buying villas and apartments and are unaware that not all of us are using cash - they don't understand about re-mortgaging your UK home to borrow the money, and they don't understand that in order to make/pay back the money, we work from the age of 18 to 65 (or is it to be 68 under Cameron's government?!) where here in Turkey one works for 25 years and then that's it - retirement....

Britain is also very desirable because of it's welfare state, relatively good education system and, of course, it's National Health Service.

Where other countries, such as France or Germany, may be equally desirable for some or all of the above reasons, Britain has the edge because most children around the world are taught some English in schools.  They also listen to American/British pop music and watch American/British films, all of which helps with learning the language.  If you were looking to leave your home country to go somewhere where you thought your prospects might be better, would you not go to a country where you already spoke a little of the language?

And finally, if that desirable country were accessible simply by buying a three month, ten pound tourist visa, would you not, with very little hesitation, get straight on the nearest plane or boat, and say to yourself that the potential penalties of overstaying your visa were well worth the risk?  If I were a younger man, I can assure you that I would.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2010, 06:37:52 PM »
Another question to consider. Now that the rules have been suspended for however long, does that mean that anyone getting their visitor visa this month will now require to get another if coming back after 90 days but within 180 days or will the new 180 day rule apply ???

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2010, 07:13:43 PM »
It's unbelievable to think that a country like Turkey can consider restricting British people in any way from visiting their country. and it's amazing that they don't some how compensate the British for all they bring to the country, let's face what would kalkan be without British money.
 I'm sure any turks bring large amounts of equivalent  investment to Britain would be welcomed.
 Incedently I'm neither British nor Turkish
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2010, 08:21:19 AM »
Kalkan without British money? .....A traditional Turkish seaside village with some Turkish tourism....that almost sounds slightly attractive ;-)

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2010, 05:32:31 PM »
A new update as been posted on Turkishlocalnews.com or KTLN...........
Interesting comment Mercimek about "Kalkan without Britsh money"...............it wouldn't be half the place it is today without it..................
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:35:49 PM by tiamaria »

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2010, 03:49:05 PM »
 ???  just a thought. when the new visa regs are in place and we are only allowed 90 days within the visa, how will they calculate days. for example if you come out for two weeks (14 nights) will the last day be classed as  day fifteen? 

Offline Begonvil

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2010, 02:25:10 PM »
I have just been looking at my last visa in my passport, this was purchased on the 10Th July 2010, We are going back to Kalkan on the 12Th November 2010.

I don't know what to do about the visa! This new style visa says it lasts for 180 days from the 10Th July which means it runs out in January! I know if I had one of the old type visas I would have to obtain a new one in November, so I just don't know what to do.

I have just read Antler's report and it looks like he purchased a new visa at the weekend,but he would have had one of the new type issued to him on his last trip in July! Please tell me what I should do, it all seems very confusing!!

Offline Davs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2010, 03:26:10 PM »
For peace of mind I would buy a new visa on arrival at Dalaman.
I know of someone this year who entered Turkey on a valid visa purchased on a trip a couple of months earlier.
Due to an oversight, the visa expired during their stay and they experienced no end of difficulty during the airport formalities when leaving the country and in acquiring a new visa to allow them to re-enter Turkey, plus a rather hefty fine.
I appreciate this is slightly different to the dilemma you face but £10 seems a small price to pay to avoid uncertainty.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Visa

Started by shee on Flights and Travel

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 11:48:52 AM
by shee
xx
UK Visa

Started by KalkanPosh on Living In Kalkan

8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2009, 03:46:15 PM
by kalkan wife
xx
Da** this 90/180 visa.

Started by Cuddles on Flights and Travel

11 Replies
Last post June 26, 2014, 05:13:18 PM
by Christina
xx
Visa or no visa

Started by billmccan on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 07:43:55 AM
by itstime

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

children

Views: 4222
By: irfan
Kalkan