Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: DRIVERS BEWARE - SPEEDING FINES  (Read 9090 times)

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
DRIVERS BEWARE - SPEEDING FINES
« on: July 06, 2010, 10:01:40 AM »
Just got back from two weeks stay, and guess what we got a speeding fine on the way to the Airport!!!

We had passed through the Gocek tunnel and were on the slightly downhill section of the D400, about one mile from the Dalaman roundabout turn to the Airport. We were pulled over by two uniformed police officers parked at the side of the road, who I must say were extremely nice and polite, and told that the speed limit on the D400 was 90KPH, and they also give a 10% extra allowance making it 99KPH, before an offence has been commited, and we had been doing 104KPH. I asked them how they knew this and was told that a 'Radar Camera had taken a picture'. He straight away began to write out a ticket for a spot fine.

Now, I have read on this Site many times about the D400 having a 90KPH speedlimit, and have driven it many times before, and I saw the Police in exactly the same place two weeks before when we arrived, so I knew the situation. I diligently kept my speed to about 80KPH for pretty much the whole journey, other than when I overtook slower vehicles and then just a quick spurt to get around them, but I am 100% sure that I never went much over 90KPH.
Anyway, after a few minutes a beat out old grey metallic unmarked Nissan/Toyota pulled up and a man got out and said in broken english that it was he who had clocked me at 104KPH, and indicated it was when I had overtaken another car. I said no way had I hit 104KPH and asked him to produce evidence, all he did was show us the equipment in his car and told us very politely, that if we argued, then they were happy to keep us there all day!! We had to take his word, as did the two uniformed officers. I am not sure if the car with the radar had been parked at the side of the road (I do not recall seeing him) or had targeted me, and had been following me for a while, just waiting for the opportunity.     
So, had to pay the fine of 130TL, but bless them, if I paid within ten days then a 25% discount was applicable, so it was a bargain at only 97.5TL! Now, how many of you get that sort of discount on anything these days. As we were on our way home I did not have enough cash in TL left, but that was not a problem, as he told us the Car Hire company would pay the fine for us, if we paid them. Off we went on our way, dropped the car back to Dalaman Car Hire they said that they could indeed pay the fine for us as it happens all the time.
What they also told us was that the police do this every Monday, as this is the main change over day and you really have no option but to pay or miss your flight. Oh yes, the uniformed officer had a list I was about the fifteenth of the day!!

You must draw your own conclusions about what happened, but I am sure that I never went much over 90KPH when overtaking. So, keep your speed really low and do not overtake after the Gocek tunnel. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. 

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5838.0

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: DRIVERS BEWARE - SPEEDING FINES
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:51:51 AM »
Thats just one of the many Radar cars you will see on the D400, the other day I saw 4 trafik controls whilst driving from Kalkan to Dalaman!

Also remember you must keep your car passport and driving license on you at all times - they also do random stop checks for paperwork  ;)

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 11:05:21 AM »
Yep - we also got done. 103 kph. Friday afternoon on our way home from Fethiye.
Plus another ticket for speeding - off Wiltshire Police, on the M4 when we got home!

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 11:09:24 AM »
as a tip, the Turkish drivers are very considerate and if you notice that lots of the oncoming cars are flashing their lights at you there is normally a radar car  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:34:46 PM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 11:36:56 AM »
The radar cars are often old cars parked at the side of the road and can be 2-3 miles down the road. The gear is mounted on the dash and the driver is always reading a paper. They are usually only in about 5 places. You can try to slow down and avoid them or better still stick to the speed limit.

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 06:31:49 PM »
That's interesting as I thought that trap was in a 50 kph limit, which was the last sign before the radar car. I was not alone as following several flashes me and several others were doing 50kph....needless to say only the lorry that overtook us at great speed got caught!
There are always several at the moment, so beware.

Offline satovod

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 02:42:17 PM »
same 104kph

i was sure that i come under 90

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 10:41:08 AM »
Happened to me too 4 weeks ago. 104 kph in a 90 kph area just after coming east after the Gocek tunnel going downhill. Paid the 25% off fine on the spot. Didn't see the camera car but the cops were very polite.

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 10:05:47 AM »
I think that maybe there is a pattern emerging here. Everyone seems to be travelling at 104KPH!!! What a coincidence.
I think the phrase 'an easy target' comes to mind.

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 11:53:02 AM »
Denners

Paying speeding fines 'on the spot' is no longer an option; the police must give you a ticket which you then take to a police station or certain banks (e.g. IÅŸbank in Kalkan) to pay. If you didn't get a receipt the money went into their pockets - it usedto happen a lot before they introduced the ticket system.

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:54:28 AM »
I got what appeared to be a proper ticket and offical receipt for the fine I paid at the time I was stopped.

Offline taylorhogg

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 03:35:02 PM »
Hi, just returned from second visit to Kalkan and like many others found myself being booked for speeding. What really frustrated me and hopefully this message will be read by people before they travel is the following.
We hired a mini bus (8 - 10 seater) from Adda Tours, one of the larger operators in this area and at no time were we told that the speed limit for this type of vehicle is only 88KPH!
As with many others who have posted on this forum, the speed limits are not clearly marked and you tend to travel at similar speeds to the locals. I was clocked at 96KPH, and fined 130TL, reduced to 97.5TL if I paid within 10 days.
This was on the D400 a few kilometers before the junction with the main road to Fethiye, and as you can easily work out is less than the 10% discretion which you would expect.
I am more annoyed with the hire companies failing to point out this information or even placing a sticker on the dash to inform unsuspecting tourist of the reduced speed limit for larger vehicles.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Full drivers license for Turks

Started by kalcamp on Flights and Travel

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 05:19:39 AM
by bryher
xx
New threat to Kalkan accomodation owners and taxi drivers

Started by MartynE on Flights and Travel

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 09:57:33 PM
by BevJam
xx
Beware !

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2011, 09:29:24 PM
by misty
xx
Owners beware - here we go again

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2015, 02:26:40 PM
by Mayday1

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Cafe Vita

Views: 3943
By: Chucky
Kalkan