Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: first time visit - end June - many questions!  (Read 3307 times)

Offline RosaMoline

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
first time visit - end June - many questions!
« on: June 07, 2010, 08:27:50 PM »
Hello all :-)

I've been trawling thru this forum for a couple of weeks & I must say how fantastic it is & so helpful :)

I thought it might be easier, rather than reading all the threads to start a topic & post my specific questions - I would really appreciate any recommendations or advice you can give.

Basically, we're travelling at end June for one week - we consist of early 40's wife & hubby, almost 16 year old teenage daughter & best friend & 13 year old son with special needs (autism)

1. We like to try the local food - any good recommendations for anywhere not too expensive (mid price?) with lovely food & nice view/ambience?

2. I know the nightlife scene is fairly low-key (that's why we chose Kalkan) but any nice bars that we could take the girls to in the evening & maybe have a bit of a dance?

3. Is it true it's best just to change up in the UK, say £100 into lira and then change rest in resort as much better rate and that restaurants/shops take stirling just in case?

4. My son loves water so we'll be looking to take him to some nice, safe places to splash about and swim - it looks like Kaputas beach might be safer for him (because of his condition he knows no danger!) also which beach club would you recommend?

5. Would love to take the girls for Turkish bath/massage and maybe a pedicure etc; Which, in your opinion is best in terms of money and satisfaction?

Sorry to bombard with so many questions! if you can recommend anything else that I've neglected to mention I'd love to hear it. Do hope I've posted in the right place!

Thank you! :-)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5647.0

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
Re: first time visit - end June - many questions!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:59:55 AM »
Welcome to EK, glad you found us here, Im sure someone will be along very soon who can help you :)

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 04:26:22 PM »
Hi and welcome!   We have been to Kalkan several times both as a couple, and with our daughter and friend, both thoroughly enjoyed themselves.  In relation to a couple of your questions,  Kaputas beach whilst absolutely stunning to look at and sunbathe there, it can be quite deceptive as the water level shelves pretty steeply upon entry - you would need to take care.  A much safer beach, would be Patara which is fairly close to Kalkan and can be reached within 15-20 mins either by Dolmus from Kalkan, or direct if you are hiring a car,  this is a beautiful beach also, and you can walk/swim out quite far without encountering any unexpected drops in depth.

For your daughter and friend I would thoroughly recommend the Afiya Hotel for their turkish bath - they do packages there, (which might work out cheaper than booking separately) -  you do not have to be resident at this hotel, which could mean that your son might enjoy a swim in their pool whilst the girls are enjoying themselves.  I visited again this year and the team there are more than helpful.

Whatever you do I am sure you will have a great time
Regards, Irene

Offline RosaMoline

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:28:04 PM »
Thanks Irene...that was very helpful :-)

Offline annav

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zinnia
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 09:06:44 AM »
Hi!

Having just come back from Kalkan, I would advise if going to Patara beach to make sure its a calm day. Although the sea is shallow for a while, It was very windy (still hot) when we went and the sea was quite rough which was great for our kids surfing, but they had to be supervised totally as it was so choppy. Usually though its great, I think we were just caught on a rough day.

There are loads of restaurants I could recommend, some being expensive, but we found good priced ones were Chillies on Kalamar Road which is new and very cheap, Fotos pizza which has a great sitting area at the top and does really nice pizza and pasta. We also like Oz Odana (near Kaya ) although we didnt go there this time-it does lovely food and is well priced, and Akin which overlooks the harbour but isnt as pricey as the harbou restaurants.

We found that the nightlife had gone up a bit since last year. Mojito bar is quite good with a DJ and think there are several others like it although we didnt go to any others having an 8 and 3 yr old-it was actually my 3 yr old who wanted to go to Mojito and dance!

You do seem to get a better rate exchanging over there but then we use the bank where we have an account and you do get a better rate-not sure if you need an account though.

Enjoy!

Offline RosaMoline

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »
thank you too Anna...getting excited now...just over 2 weeks to go! (am def going to try Chillies - it's had quite a few positive mentions on this forum)

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Hi rosa , I can honestly say you will have an absolutely great time . we went last year for our first visit and pretty much re booked as soon as we returned home . there are loads of really good days out that can be booked via your travel rep if you have one or through Adda tours ,you will find there main office /shop in the old part of town .if you can the jeep safari to saklikent gorge is a must and a great day out .you said about having turkish baths and other treatments for you and your girls but dont forget your hubby can go and have a turkish shave . I would recomend the kaufor   (barbers) down at the harbour under the pirat hotel,his name is memesh and is very reasonable and friendly. as for restaurants you will be spoilt for choice ,kaya is very good as is odana but you can find some of the smaller cafes in the back streets will also do really nice food very cheap .also boat trips are a good day out for around £35per person and will include lunch and afternoon tea and cake . My self and my family are due to fly out for this years holiday on the 25th of june and cant wait to get back there. oh by the way kalkan has a market on thursdays i think and that to is an expeience in its self , loads of bargains to be had along with loads of locally produced  fruit,veg ,meats ,cheeses and spices. Hope you have a great holiday .and im sure you will .want to return as soon as you leave.craig

Offline RosaMoline

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 07:25:51 AM »
thanks Craig...you'll be there the same time as us! (we go 28th)

Definitely going to persuade hubs to have a shave :-) and we're definitely going to go on a boat trip. What a shame we're only there for one week! :-(

Offline PACHSU

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 06:14:12 PM »
Persuade hubs to - like me - start the holiday on day one with a haircut and shave, followed by a Turkish bath and massage and then sit back with a few large bottles of efes - wonderful.

Offline bevilj

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 10:22:54 PM »
 :) :) We have just returned from another great holiday in Kalkan. We had a Massage/Sauna at the Lykia Resort. Open to non-residents, Best treatment we have ever had. ONE IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER, a lot of the Massage's are done by Men, My Wife from previous experience's found this not to her liking. The Lykia will offer you a choice, I had two Massage's, one Male, and then the second time a Female. My Wife had just the one, by a female. Much happier this year than last. Pattara Beach great, but yes it can be windy. Enjoy your HOLIDAY

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
questions re club patara time share units

Started by nancynb on Accommodation and Hotels

8 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 09:01:37 AM
by Blue Lizard
xx
where to stay, first time visit

Started by Harcourt on Accommodation and Hotels

17 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 09:00:23 AM
by pw
smiley
Kalkan in November - 1st time visit

Started by freckles:) on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post October 23, 2010, 01:36:58 PM
by elainecris
xx
A few questions please...

Started by chrisheeley on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 12:57:52 PM
by Potter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

harbour2

Views: 4399
By: irfan
Mandee