Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Busses in Turkey  (Read 3684 times)

Offline abbiej06

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Busses in Turkey
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:48:09 AM »
 Hi,
does anyone here have any experience of busses or coaches in Turkey? As a student, where low cost comes is deemed more important than sleep, I'm looking for the cheapest way to get to Dalaman from the UK. EasyJet's prices are pretty high for the dates we're looking at, and a quick websearch puts the charter airlines prices at around £200 return.

However.. return flights to Istanbul are only £80 return, BARGAIN, but there's the small issue of having to get from one side of a big country to the other. Again, searching the web, there are suggestions that bus travel is actually fairly good, and its a possibility at a fair price, about twenty quid or something and taking around 12 hours.

How correct is this information though? I can't seem to dig up any timetables or prices online which leaves me skeptical - on the one hand I wouldn't want to turn up in Istanbul and not be able to get across the country! On the other hand, if it's doable, then a few hours on a bus and altogether it costs half the price!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5407.0

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Busses in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »
We did this trip last year.  I think the cost was about 35TL each for the 14 hours from Istanbul AtaÅŸehir (quite close to Sabiha Gökcen airport, on the Asian side) to Kalkan.  Links http://www.kamilkoc.com.tr/ or http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transport/intercity_bus_table.html

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 05:03:07 PM »
It's almost as cheap to fly from Istanbul to Dalamn, c.70tl and it's only an hour, the bus is 14 hours and not much cheaper, I don't think it's 35tl any more
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:07:20 PM »
Yep, looks like 60TL now, but transfers from Dalaman to Kalkan could add £55+ to the cost.  The bus drops you in Kalkan and they offer a free transfer service from their many offices in Istanbul to their departure points. Try something different!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:09:40 PM by EniÅŸte »

Offline Will

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 05:23:05 PM »
Have done the Istanbul/kalkan bus journey several times.  The bus leaves Istanbul at 10 p.m. and arrives in Kalkan about 10.30 the following morning. The seats recline, an hour or so into the journey all lights are turned off and everyone sleeps quite peacefully. Much more leg room than any charter flight.

There is  one major stop during the night for food, loo etc and the driver will stop at a garage if anybody urgently needs the loo at other times.

Breakfast is served and tea/coffee and soft drinks drinks are available throughout the journey (all free of charge)

The two main companies offering this service are Kamil Koc and Pammukale.  You must book in advance during the peak season but can do so on their websites.  If you cannot follow the Turkish on the website, would be happy to help you make a booking if you send me a p.m.

will

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Hi abbie,
 Once you have done the flight to Dalaman you do NoT have to pay £55+ for a tourist price taxi transfer, you could catch a bus to Kalkan which will be around £6.00

Offline Will

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »
 Just had another thought..........cheap flight from UK to Rhodes, Hydrfoil from Rhodes to Fethiye ( approx 5 times a week and a 90 minute journey) then an hour on the local bus from Fethiye to Kalkan.

My son (also a student) did it last year, total cost about £120 return

Will

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 09:18:40 PM »
Even if you flew into Dalaman, you'd still have to get from the airport to the bus station and then change at Fethiye. A good suggestion from Will though, would just take a little organising to get all the timings right.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:06:02 AM »
Will, you make the Istanbul bus sound so relaxing. Makes me want to fly to Istanbul and spend a few days there, then get this overnighter to Kalkan when we come back later in the year. Thanks for the info
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 08:47:20 AM »
So enjoy your flight!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 09:32:43 AM »
..oh! Is it not that relaxing in your experience., Nick? I had visions of falling asleep in Istanbul and waking up in Kalkan  ;)  I can sleep on a clothesline and any form of travel (planes excluded) makes me sleepy  :)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 09:44:14 AM »
My wife did almost exactly that when we took the bus - I think she actually woke up just after Fethiye, as I was falling asleep for the first time.  I enjoyed the trip but it appears that flying and taking local buses is as cheap if not cheaper, so that may be the best option for the original poster.

Offline Will

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 02:58:35 PM »
Hi kalkan4eva

The buses are very relaxing, no noise (mobile phones have to be switched off), comfortable seats and very attentive stewards who come immediately if you press your call buzzer (just like airlines).  You can control your own air-con outlet and a plus point for any females who travel alone, single women travellers are only ever seated next to other women, so no danger of waking up with a strange man's head on your shoulder.

A few tips if you do go to Istanbul and then take the bus.  At the bus station before you board, buy a small pillow, usually 1 or 2 lira, it makes such a difference to your comfort levels, particularly if you are seated next to a window, you can put the pillow against the window and sleep very comfortably.  Even in mid-summer, take a sweater  (my wife always takes  a pashmina) on board, the air conditioning is often so effective that it can be quite cold in the early hours of the morning, book a seat that is not too near the front (the drivers chat throughout the journey, and even though they keep their voices low, it can be disturbing), don't book the back row,the seats don't recline.  Book seats anywhere from rows 12 to about 28 for maximum comfort and privacy.

I have twice fallen asleep before the bus was out of the bus station in Istanbul and woken up 9 hours later about 150 km from Fethiye, just in time to see the fabulous mountain scenery and watch the sun rise.

Will

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »
Will, I like your thinking, but could suggest an even nicer ending, by taking the Blue Star ferry from Rhodes to Meis, and then another boat across to Kas and local bus to Kalkan.

Other than that, how far south east does the District Line go?....

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
busses and boats

Started by paul1969h on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 08:42:44 PM
by paul1969h
xx
Which way will Turkey go?

Started by chickengeorge on Politics & Debate

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 08:57:05 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
sat nav in turkey

Started by stevewatson on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 11:38:59 AM
by dwieling
xx
EK in Turkey

Started by belinda on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 12:24:50 PM
by Enişte

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal