Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Pick pockets  (Read 2801 times)

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Pick pockets
« on: October 04, 2009, 08:52:49 AM »
Hi,
Not sure if this the right place to put this but hey!!!!!!!
On Thursday, market day here in Kalkan, one of my friends went to pay his water bill, changed sterling at the post office and walked back to the market. Whilst on his way to pay his bill, stopped off to buy something in the market, no problem money still there, went to any other stall money gone. He reported it to the Belediye and to the Jandarma. Afterwards we spoke to market stall holders they informed us that someone else earlier in the day had had their purse stolen. To make matter worse speaking the lady who runs the watch stall (near the kebab vans) she told us that she had a watch stolen by...wait for it.. a British lady.........I think to be honest this bit of information upset me more than my friend losing his money.
This is not detrimental to Kalkan, pick pockets are all over the world, It's just so people are aware when they go to the market either here in Kalkan or any where else, To take care
Best regards
T   

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4517.0

Offline Rosie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Pick pockets
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 02:20:41 PM »
Picking up on the part in this thread about a watch allegedly being stolen off the market stall by a British lady, it brought to mind another tale regarding stealing.

My ex boss returned to Kalkan this year having enjoyed himself so much last year. This time his family and friends stayed in a villa closer to town, however the holiday was spoilt due a break in, numerous articles taken, including a laptop and the break in was duly reported. The Jandarma arrived, duly carried out all the usual procedures and whilst discussing the situation then informed the holidaymakers that the break in was carried out by English people!

I was quite shocked to hear this and don't really know what to make of this news. True or not I just wondered if anyone else had heard any similar stories of this ocurring either in Kalkan, Kas or other nearby areas.

Rosie

Offline tog miester

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »
I cannot comment on the particulars of this case, but I have to say in my time hear I have had the unfortunate experience of meeting English people who back in the UK I would avoid like the plague. People who take things without intending to return them (I call it stealing), people who lie and cheat better than any dodgy estate agent. People who borrow money without any intention of paying it back. Basically people who have no respect for themselves let alone you. All in all it does not suprise me.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 07:37:28 PM by Enjoy Kalkan »
Banned!! Delete my account please.

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:02:04 PM »
I cannot comment on the particulars of this case, but I have to say in my time hear I have had the unfortunate experience of meeting English people who back in the UK I would avoid like the plague. People who take things without intending to return them (I call it stealing), people who lie and cheat better than any dodgy Turkish estate agent. People who borrow money without any intention of paying it back. Basically people who have no respect for themselves let alone you. All in all it does not suprise me.

This seems like a very generalised opinion. Do the British people you meet in Kalkan really give you the the impression as being thiefs?  If so, you must be mixing with a very dodgy lot. All the time I have been visiting Kalkan both the British people and the Turkish have (and all other nationailties for that mattter) been very friendly and I've had no cause to suspect any social deviances. Or maybe I'm just naive.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 07:03:58 PM by popps »

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 03:39:49 PM »
Popps perhaps you could describe what sort of people you would expect to be a thief, I am sure anyone in the legal profession would tell you they come in all shapes and sizes and some would seem very nice on first impressions! ;)

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 04:20:06 PM »
Popps perhaps you could describe what sort of people you would expect to be a thief, I am sure anyone in the legal profession would tell you they come in all shapes and sizes and some would seem very nice on first impressions! ;)

I don't think I have any preconceived ideas of what a thief is like. I was merely commenting on tog meister's assertion that "I have had the unfortunate experience of meeting English people who back in the UK I would avoid like the plague".

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
new to kalkan....which area should i pick

Started by pink-flamingo on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 10:22:57 PM
by pink-flamingo
xx
Trout farm that does a pick-up service?

Started by heyho on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

6 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 09:15:18 AM
by tiamaria

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal