Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan according to Steffi  (Read 4587 times)

Offline steffi30

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Kalkan according to Steffi
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:23:52 PM »
This is our full day back in England after 11 days spent in Kalkan.  We have just watched the video of our holiday so thought I would post my review now whilst still in the Kalkan mood.......
We stayed at the old part of the Pirat Hotel, which is in a great location with views out over the marina (and a lift).  Our room number was 405 and was equipped with a fridge, free air conditioning, good powerful hairdryer (which is important for us girlies with 'difficult' hair!) and a TV.  The balconies in rooms 205/305/405 were larger than many in the block so would recommend asking for one of these rooms if possible.

Restaurants eaten in Kebab Meze, Rendezvous, Alternatif, Kaya, Adams, Belgins Kitchen, Marina, Sandals, Pirat Hotel:
All the restaurants were of a high standard but a few deserve a special mention:
First night we ate at the Kebab Meze - this is along the marina - a fabulous place, no greeters were necessary as the place was full.  We both had superb Black Sea Lamb.
Rendezvous - We were enticed in by a lovely guy who was the greeter - no pressure was put on us and he certainly did the place proud.  Steak Cleopatra definitely recommended!
Adams Place - it was a windly night but wouldn't have missed it for anything.  We sat on the lower level as the top one was full.  We still had fantastic views and felt like we were the only ones there, you get so much space between the tables giving you complete privacy. Adem was a great host and his daughter was so attentive and adorable, she admired us for braving the wind, and not retreating indoors so gave me flowers for my hair!  Not as expensive as town restaurants either.
Kaya - what can I say??  This had to be my favourite place, for both the food and the ambience.  So good we went back on our last night, although poor Chris was suffering from the Turkish Tummy so couldn't do it justice.  We met Kadir, the magician who held us spellbound with his card tricks.  He is a big Tommy Cooper fan who is a real magician.  He used to do it professionally before opening Kaya in 2005.  Also, a special thanks to Albert, who was a lovely friendly guy.  When we told him Chris had been poorly for  few days, he said that we should have told him as his uncle is a doctor and he would have helped Chris.  And onto the food - The first visit I had the calamari to start with (deliciously fresh and crispy batter) followed by the Steak in a brandy and mushroom sauce (big and juicy!).  It comes with mash and vegetables and although I was tempted to ask for chips instead of mash, the flavours all worked so well together I'm glad I didn't.  On my next visit I couldn't resist the calamari once again, but decided to try the grouper for my main course as recommended by EK members and Kadir himself.  I wasn't disappointed, it was gorgeous!!

Beaches
Kaputas Beach - only about 5 miles from Kalkan on the Kas road, We had a car so drove there but you can catch the dolmus headed for Kas, as it stops at the beach. This is the most beautiful bay, well worth the hundreds of steps to get down to it!  The sea is a crystal clear turquoise and the waves are great fun without being dangerous. No sunbeds are available but you can hire umbrellas for 5TL a day.  There are no cafes but there is a lady who has set up shop halfway up/down the steps-she comes down onto the beach throughout the day to take orders for pancakes, fruit, cold drinks etc.
Patara Beach - very long, so you can have as much privacy as you like.  At the far end, you can go nude if that's your thing.  Again, we drove the 16km but you can take a taxi or dolmus.  It costs 5TL entrance fee, which allows you to visit the ruins of Patara as well as the beach.  I read on this forum that you could also get a weeks entrance for the same amount (5TL).  Well, this is true, but is only available to people staying in Patara itself so would recommend you say you are staying in Patara rather then Kalkan.  You then hire sunbed and umbrellas although I can't remember how much it was (5TL I think).

Other Places of Interest
We had planned on going to Pamukkale but had to have a change of plans due to Chris's tummy!
Saklikent Gorge - definitely recommend this for a day out.  It is the second longest gorge in Europe and you can walk along the bottom of the gorge for about 2 miles before the water gets too deep!  There are young boys waiting to be your guide and althhough you dont have to use one, I would recommend you do, as some of the parts are quite deep and a bit slippery so it is good to have a helping hand to pull you up and tell you where to put your feet.  Tucked within the gorge locals have set up small restaurants with seating areas on wooden platforms suspended just above the rushing waters.  These are a great place to enjoy a cool Efes and watch the world go by.  We then drove to Yakapark which is a trout farm with water appearing from everywhere - cool and inviting.  The trout is sooooooo fresh.........

We lucky enough to see Yacht A as it moored up for the evening and also witnessed two people coming ashore on a little dinghy whhilst we sere sitting on the marina - didn't recognise them as anyone famous, but you could tell they were wealthy, they just had an aura about them!

All in all, we had a fabulous holiday, I could go on and on, but I won't!  I have never been back to the same place twice for a holiday, but Kalkan might change that!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4377.0

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Kalkan according to Steffi
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 02:40:46 PM »
Great post, Steffi; thanks for taking the time to write about your Kalkan experience.

We were there the same time as you... and I can assure you that the "interesting" weather at the end of last week was not normal for this time of year!

Good to see you had a nice time though... yet another convert?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 02:50:50 PM »
Yes a nice report....Hope Chris no longer has the thruppenny bits...always take imodium plus..we do but never usually need it :angel:
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline steffi30

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:54:54 PM »
Immodium was taken like sweeties to little avail!!!  He's OK now tho - by the way, on our way back to Dalaman Airport we called at Govik, which in some ways was similar to Kalkan, although flat rather than on a hill.  It had a lovely marina with very expensive yachts, and although we only had one meal, the food was very good.  I would have liked to have seen more of it, but we had to leave to catch our flight.  Anybody been there for a holiday??

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »
Hi Steffi,
You stayed in our room, 405. We were there in June and are there again in October. We book through Abi Travel (Linda and Ossie) and always ask for 305 or 405.  Last year it was 305 - as you say they have slightly larger balconies.  I just love the view and watching the people and boats is wonderful while sipping an aperitif or two!! Thanks for your report and so glad you had a great time. Our visit in October will be our 6th.
Cheers
Tyros

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:06:50 PM »
Hi Steffi,
I think you mean Gocek which does indeed have a large marina. Last time we were there they were building houses with waterway access to the sea.  We didn't think it had the same character and buzz of Kalkan (we are of course biased!).  However Dalyan is similar in character to Kalkan albeit by the river and flat.
Cheers
Tyros

Offline steffi30

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »
I did indeed mean Gocek!!  Yes, it did seem quieter than Kalkan and think two days there would be long enough..............

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 08:11:23 AM »
You can search for Portville Göcek and see what they have done with the waterways.  Beautiful but a bit too Las Vegas mock Venice for me.

Offline Chrissie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • www.enjoykalkan.com
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 12:25:10 PM »
 :-* I have had some wonderful holidays in Gocek and it is delightful.
Not Kalkan,but I always make my way back to Gocek for a couple of days when I am in Kalkan.
My Husband prefers it to Kalkan.I know that it has changed in recent years.Ten or more years ago it was quiet,no souvenir shops,wonderful restaurants.Now,it is similar but with the souvenir shops.!!!! Chris.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

In Heavan

Views: 4259
By: Buster
collage