Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Break-ins, burglaries & unsavoury events  (Read 4252 times)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Break-ins, burglaries & unsavoury events
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:39:42 PM »
Recent discussions with both Turkish and foreign residents of Kalkan have revealed a wide difference of opinion about the public discussion of unpleasant events which continue to happen with seemingly increasing frequency.

Some persons believe that no public discussion is tantamount to hiding the truth and glossing over a real problem, resulting in no solution.  This side believes that only when the extent of the problem is acknowledged something will be done about it.

Others think that posting of events like burglaries or some of the other  happenings will discourage tourism and these things should not be publicly discussed.

Still others believe that nothing can be done to stop the rising tide of unsavoury events.

What is your opinion?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4210.0
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline butterfly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Break-ins, burglaries & unsavoury events
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 05:12:01 PM »
Of course these matters should be brought to our attention.  People mustn't let their guard down because Kalkan is such a lovely place and they or on holiday.  Wherever you are in the world, there are dangers.   It is important for everyone to be aware.  I believe the risks are small here but nevertheless it is sensible not to put your personal safety at risk and to make sure your accommodation is as burglar proof as possible.   For a woman to walk home alone at night, especially after a few drinks, is not asking for it but even in a place like Kalkan it is unwise.  The place is not teeming with villains but it only takes one bad person.

Offline Si

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 05:55:29 PM »
I can see both why it should be discussed and why it shouldn't also.

I think everyone has a right to read the goings on of Kalkan and we can't just sit here with rose tinted glasses on and think that nothing bad ever happens in Kalkan and its a perfect place. Not only is that naive, but thats also dangerous in itself.

I can also appreciate why the forum owners might not want us to discuss this, as the majority of people who sign up here are probably doing some research about coming to Kalkan and if they are met with stories about unsavoury goings on then that is going to have a massive impact on peoples decisions. People know that it occurs all over the world, but you don't want to read about it when researching a prospective holiday.

That said, I think it all boils down to peoples personal safety and people should employ the same rules of personal safety that they do at home, wherever abroad.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:45:32 PM »
In my opinion it's important that anything posted is verified facts, not rumour or gossip. I'd rather know if something has happened so we can be vigilant and warn guests (like the post re scams at the ATMs) but don't want pages of hype which make Kalkan sound like it is a dangerous place to be and a real crime hot spot.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 08:40:50 AM »
it's important to know all aspects about the goings on...but it does seem one or two posters are the same ones who love to pick out the negative things and seem to thrive on it.....
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline tog miester

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:04:09 PM »
Yeah , lets just pick on them and hound them of the site. What are they doing on it anyway, why don't they go somewhere else. Can I suggest one of the poles, not allot of people,cold temperature, crime at a minimal level. However it would take only 3 burglaries and the statistics would show that its more dangerous than down town Detroit.
My opinion is, keep things as they are. Let Mr Ek decide what is allowed or not. It`s a difficult job, but he`s doing OK in my book.
Banned!! Delete my account please.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 01:07:33 PM »
Sorry Togmeister - but what exactly are you trying to say here??

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 08:30:47 PM »
This is a very interesting result, 91% in favour of having things out in the open. I suppose there is always more damage done when people try to cover things up.
'The truth will out,'  as they say.
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Events in September

Started by billmccan on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

6 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 09:31:30 AM
by Enişte
xx
Re unsavoury stuff

Started by sarahxxx on Politics & Debate

19 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 12:23:51 PM
by Lorretta
xx
Break Ins

Started by Kim on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 11:01:46 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
More break-ins

Started by teke on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 07:51:32 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Guess where?!

Views: 3706
By: Alfaman
Our Caretaker