Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: just returned  (Read 2921 times)

Offline maduk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
  • www.enjoykalkan.com
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
just returned
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:29:15 PM »
we've just come back from two wonderful weeks in kalkan. we have been before in 2004 and enjoyed it then but this time was even better. the town is just amazing - what makes it so ? - the weather is fabulous but that can be achieved in many places at this time of year. well - the situation makes sure that the weather is even better than surrounding places - that little microclimate thing. very importantly - the town has retained its turkishness, despite the huge british influence and - yes - they want your business - and they will ask you for it but they are sooo nice about it all and if you stop to talk they are so glad to share cultures - so there's a mutual learning and experience thing going on.

then - what can i say - the restaurant scene in this place is fantastic. we ate in:

the old trading house - please don't forget this place, one night we were the only 2 there and it's so good !

ivy - very good also, nice music when we were there - very relaxing (like you really need any more chilling!)

kalamaki - our favourite by a nose, fab steaks - but that seemed true in all we tried

rendezvous - food's good and there is a waitress whose name i forget but she leaps around the place like a linty (you can struggle with that description - she's lively and such fun !)

trio - food was good and the mojito was the best we had but 'fraid i don't think dogs and food mix.

we also ate in our hotel (lykia residence) and thoroughly enjoyed those meals. i hope to do a hotel review as well.

prices were reasonably stable throughout - about 110 -140 lira for 2, drinks, starters, main course, wine, coffee.

there were others but all of these were worth mentioning ( maybe we went to the others on bad nights and the food was never a problem - just different service).

other stuff - the shops are full of quite a lot of desirable things but get in quick - the dress i'd eyed up disappeared after 2 days and wasn't replaced.

don't think that the market will be cheaper than the shops - in our experience it wasn't. also if you go to the market - go early or late, we went at 10ish and the heat was unbearable - but it is an experience!

go on at least one boat trip - they are so relaxing.

dogs - there are lots wandering about but they are mostly dopey from the heat and fairly endearing- as are the cats.

oh - and try to go to patara ruins - we went and were the only 2 brits there(us), with 4 other turks - and it's amazing.

so much more but i'm going on too long.

go - and enjoy !

and ps - we heard the full moon party sitting on the terrace but once inside our wonderful cocoon it was just a pleasant memory of people having fun !

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3892.0

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
Re: just returned
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:32:19 PM »
Glad you enjoyed yourselves, and thank you for taking the time to let us know how you got on.
Joan

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »
What a lovely, enthusiastic report that sums up how many of us feel no matter how many times we've visited.  Glad it was so good even after 5 years away!

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:17:46 AM »
Fab report and interesting to note that even with the changes in Kalkan during the past 5 years, you enjoyed yourselves even more than before.

I think the waitress you refer to in Rendezvous is called Migella - probably spelt completely wrong but that's what it sounded like when I asked!  I agree, a very bubbly young lady who, along with Rambo in his smart satin shirts, make their guests very welcome.  They seem to enjoy friendly chats with their guests at appropriate moments and were particulary good with the children.

Look forward to your report on the Lykia Residence, we had a quick look round the pool area etc. in May and it did look lovely.

Alison

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:22:28 AM »
Agree with previous posts..thanks for taking time to tell us ,it's nice to see things with other peoples eyes.. missing Kalkan already and only been back a few weeks!! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »
The waitress is absolutely charming and told us she was a graduate in I think electrical engineering but enjoys working as a waitress more. She is originally from Northern Cyprus but has settled with her husband in Kalkan.

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 04:31:29 PM »
Great report, thanks for taking the time to post. It sounds like you'll be back soon. :)
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

The Bergamo 7 @ Kleo

Views: 3165
By: pw
Guess where?!