Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Serious credit card fraud now in Kalkan  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
Serious credit card fraud now in Kalkan
« on: July 11, 2009, 08:18:53 AM »
Everyone using an ATM in Kalkan should be aware that there is a gang targeting foreigners using ATMs in Kalkan and stealing their credit cards and pin numbers.

Last week, a Kalkan resident went on a Friday evening to withdraw cash from an ATM. When he reached the machine there was a small group of well dressed, middle aged Turkish men apparently making a transaction.

He was about to wait when they told him to go ahead, they would go later.   He put his card into  the machine entered his pin number and the machine tarted to scramble everything on the screen and his pin number was prominently displayed on the screen. His helpful new ''friends'' gathered round trying to help. Then the screen went blank and his card could not be retrieved.

As it was a Friday evening he could not contact the bank until the following Monday. The bank were less than helpful initially as they did not have his card and said they did not believe he had made  a transaction.

However, they were eventually persuaded to check their computer records and discovered he had put in his card but it was not in the machine.

They then reviewed their security video footage. On the film it was clearly visible that in the confusion of the scrambled screen, one of the men had taken the card and pocketed it. They had used an electronic device in order to create the scrambled message which appeared on screen and capture his pin number.

The card was cancelled but in the following days over eight hundred pounds was withdrawn from his account, some in Kalkan, some in Fethiye, some much further afield.

This is not the only incident here , there have been others using the same technique. This type of credit card fraud has previously been unknown here and the banks are not geared up to deal with it. The local Jandarma also are untrained in dealing with credit card fraud.

With more and more tourists arriving in the next few weeks, some of whom will be unfamiliar with using the local ATM''s, the possibility of further fraud is very high.

If anybody offers you advice when you are attempting to use the ATM do not proceed with your transaction. Do not make a transaction if there are any other people close to the machine, no matter how
respectable they make look - this group looked very respectable and were very helpful.

If at all possible do not use the ATMs outside bank trading hours, particularly at week ends, as you cannot go into the bank to check what has happened if there is a problem.

Sadly, as Kalkan develops we must expect that crime will also develop. Everyone should now be aware that there are organised gangs operating here and should take precautions whenever they use a credit card.

Lantana

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3847.0

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Serious credit card fraud now in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 11:06:35 AM »
Thank you for this useful information certainly something to watch out for.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:30:57 AM »
Oldest rick in the book, I think its called the "Lebanese Loop" named after the thin piece of plastic used the contain the card in the reader and make it appear to have been grabbed by the ATM. You should always inspect the ATM for any unusual "extras" normally around the card reader slot and above the screen. Whilst these parts the fraudsters attach look kosher you can still spot them if you are observant.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:43:42 AM by misty »

Offline Kuzu

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 10:18:17 AM »
I had issues with my bank card last week in Kalkan, I had been using my card for about 3 weeks fine, then I went to ISBANK and the card wouldn't work, a Turkish guy and another one nearby were insistant that I kept trying, and that I could use the machine before them, but I declined their "helpful" offer.  I am not sure if they were geniune or not but having had my card cloned before I am a bit careful these days.

Offline tiamaria

• Home Sweet Home
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
  • Oooo what a view and it's mine
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 10:59:11 PM »
Just been on the other Kalkan website and apparently Yapi Kredi ATM been targeted too. Some one went to use the ATM on Saturday evening 11/7 and a conman offered to help and snatched the card. Seems weekend is the vulnerable time. We need to be just a little more careful.
 Kalkan's a busy holiday resort with lots of holiday makers, the conmen think it's easy money............  It's a shame when you always feel so safe and never have to think about checking around you.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 11:09:02 PM »
Yep its a shame but when my wife uses the ATM I'm on point duty.....even in the UK.

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 09:28:39 AM »
Thanks for the warning Lantana. I suppose it was only a matter of time before the fraudsters moved in. With lots of banks now it must seem very attractive to them.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline alshepuk

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:21:31 AM »
We had the same problem last week.  Make sure that you get an emergency number from your bank before you leave.  Even though we informed the bank within 2 hours the card was still hit for £600 which we have been told we will get back/

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 01:55:36 PM »
Whilst I didn't have an issue with fraudsters last time we were there, the ATM at Yapi Credi ate my card and I had to wait all weekend to get it back. Then I had to take proof of ID and fill in a form on the Monday morning, which took about 40 minutes. I think it is probably best ot use ATM's when the banks are open to avoid any problems. In future I'll be using the shops to change sterling at the weekend nad the banks in the week.
Carpe diem

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 04:20:43 PM »
Do any of the banks have ATMs inside? Less likely to be tampered with.
Also, do any supermarket do "cash back"?

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »
No and no.
  Cashback is unknown throughout Turkey even in the biggest cities.

Lantana

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
ATM Card Fraud

Started by Alfaman on Money & Finance

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 10:00:21 PM
by baclava
xx
Fraud / Counterfeit Cheque

Started by Wendy on Money & Finance

0 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 08:50:01 PM
by Wendy
xx
Can anyone take a card to Kalkan for me?

Started by Em1 on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 05:44:25 PM
by Em1
xx
Using Credit Cards

Started by AlbionFan on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

7 Replies
Last post July 08, 2012, 04:36:35 PM
by davenottm

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan cat

Views: 3282
By: saskia
New Logo