Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: new to board and off to kalkan in August  (Read 1899 times)

Offline ms_topaz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
new to board and off to kalkan in August
« on: July 09, 2009, 01:31:54 PM »
Dear All
just wanted to say hello and ask for some advice.
I''m am travelling with my husband and children aged 2 and 7.
we have got an appartment in Kalkan - which apparently is 5 mins walk down hill to town.
can you provide some info on whether we can take the children on the jeep safari - will it be safe?
i tried to look at the brochure but for some reason it failed to open so i will try that again.

patara beach - turtles. there is information that this is closed in the night due to turtles laying their eggs.  Is there anyway of finding out if there are specific organised groups to go and watch this/ or the hatching.
is auagust the wrong time for it.

what things to do with children - i was reading of the icy waters of the gorges - can i take the children there?

also the boat trip - do families share the boat or is it one boat per family. i mean does the tour guide try to get two families to share. personally i''m happy to do this if it means less cost. otherwise is it £20 per person including children. 

in the evening is it acceptable to be out and about with children, -we don''t want to miss the atmosphere but the children need to be with us.

i look forward to any thoughts/ comments.
thanks
very much
A

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3830.0

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: new to board and off to kalkan in August
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 01:54:16 PM »
Hi Ms-Topaz,

Firstly, welcome to our world!

You will have no problem taking the children out and about with you of a night.  Lots of the restuarants have childrens menus and the turkish people love kids so lots of fuss will be made of them!

If you are looking to go on a boat trip that is just around Kalkan bay, then the best way of arranging it is to walk down to the harbour of an evening when all the boats are back, chat with the owners, negotiate and price and you will be able to book a day for later on in your holiday.  You can hire a small boat privately for your family for a fixed price or you can book on the bigger boats when there will be other people on them and you will pay an amount per person (it is usually about 35tl each).  You dont need to book these through a tour operator.

I personally wouldn''t take a 2 and a 7 year old on a jeep safari as they are in open top jeeps, which can be dusty and in the scorching heat all day but someone else who''s done the trip with young ones maybe more able to advise you.

I''ve never seen trips to watch turtle hatching as the turtles are a protected species.

I''m sure you will love Kalkan - the same as the rest of us!
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline ms_topaz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »
hi Turkeyfan
thanks for your mail.
we are staying at the Alexandra Dream Apartment   Kalkan Kas Turkey 50L 2D
has anyone been there - its a new one apparently.
also says 5 mins into town is that correct?
do you think we will need a car with a 2 and 7yr old?
its apparently 400m to the post office and supermarket.
also it says there is an electricity pylon there...hopefully shouldn''t disturb the view..

sad about the turtles issue - i am sure i read that somewhere.

thanks for the information on the jeep safari i thought that might be the case...aahh well!! we''ll have to do something else. i''m hoping that whilst we are there people will advise etc.

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 05:48:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum,

Regarding the Jeep Safari some operators do have covered jeeps but as TurkeyFan said it does get very dusty still and probabaly not suitable for a 2 year old. They go over a lot of lumps and bumps and you do get wet so would probabaly be a bit uncomfortable for your little one.The trip to the gorge would probably be ok for your seven year old but the water initially that you go through is waist deep and you do have to clamber over rocks to go down the gorge. One of you could sit out and admire the scenery with the younger one.

Regarding the brochure you will need download adobe reader first which can be done from here www.adobe.com

Enjoy your holiday

Julie

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 07:47:22 PM »
They might like the dolphin park at Kas. The 2 yr old is too young to swim with them but will enjoy watching. I believe that the sea by the side of the little ''beach'' (stony) alongside the park is lovely and warm & clear.

Offline ms_topaz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 09:55:57 AM »
yes unfortunately the safari looks out the window...

i like the idea of the other half sitting and watching...hahah

i''m up for the dolphin swimming sounds magical..

thanks for the all the helpful advice. so glad that i found this forum

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
one Thomas cook flight 9th August - 24th August

Started by suzyq1 on Classifieds - Available

0 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 11:02:05 AM
by suzyq1
xx
August in Kalkan

Started by citybluemoon on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 03:33:10 PM
by turkeyfan
xx
How busy is Kalkan in August?

Started by popps on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 02:37:39 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Kalkan 11th August

Started by Tetchyted on When Are You In Kalkan / Arrange a meet up

0 Replies
Last post July 21, 2014, 08:38:47 PM
by Tetchyted

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan at night

Views: 2777
By: zros
Kekova Trip