Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Settling up/Tipping in Restaurants - weird vibe at times  (Read 4392 times)

Offline claire

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Just returned from our first trip to Kalkan and had a question about the paying the bill and tipping.

In the main we experienced a very professional and good level of service during the meal.  However, we did notice on several occasions that attitudes changed when it came to the settling up time.  The waiters/owners got a little distant and sometimes bordered on disinterested when it came to us paying and leaving.

We tipped 10% if we were happy, 20% if we were thrilled, and 15% for something in between. 

There was a real air of awkwardness and we could never fully understand what that was all about.  We guessed it was "right, we''ve fed you and you''re paying now - the deal''s done.  Jog on,  I''ve got other people to deal with".

Now, I am a cynical person so it''s in my nature to end up thinking like this.  But I''m posting in the hope that someone tells me it''s Turkish nature to be coy and awkward when it comes to customers paying the bill.  Please someone tell me that''s the case, otherwise I may feel that the friendliness is all an act designed to make you spend as much as possible.  If it is all an act it would be nice if they could follow it through till the point where your back is turned, eh?

Cheers, Claire.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3660.0

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
Re: Settling up/Tipping in Restaurants - weird vibe at times
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »
If the service is good the this reflects in my tip if its bad this will also reflect in my tip or lack of it...I''ve never had any situations with problems on paying even when a generous tip has been left...my policy is if I like the evening I will tip well especially if I plan to return as I have found they always remember you  :laugh: :laugh:

In all the time I have been going to Kalkan never had a duffer.....some better than others but don''t think I can recall not leaving a tip due to my dissatisfaction  :angel:   

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 05:09:02 PM »
Only ever had 1 problem, other than that I would guess we have eaten out on approx 100ish times and never had a course not to tip, thats pretty good I think ! ! !  ;D ;D ;D >:D
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:41:28 AM »
The Restaurants in Kalkan are by and large delighted with any tip! We had an awful delay in May at one and we had always left a large tip. We explained that we were not this time and after a few free drinks the problem was resolved. Communication is paramount. The English is not their language and Turkish is not ours. Please talk to the staff and if there is a problem,then let them know. Don''t wait to the end and complain about the bill
Rx

Offline claire

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 09:12:38 AM »
Thanks all, but I don''t think I''ve been clear enough.  The issue isn''t about whether service is good or bad, or whether or not to leave a tip - it''s about a feeling we both felt when it came to paying the bill which at times was awkward and waiters/owners became disinterested. 

I wondered whether this was a Turkish thing, or whether it was about the individual restaurant''s policy of moving people out as quickly as they could after they''d had their meals.  This was not a common occurrance, but it happened a few times and made us wonder what was going on.

Cheers, Claire.  :)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 10:46:28 AM »
I have never noticed it......very strange ! ! !  ??? >:D ??? >:D

Offline clarel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »
 >:Neither have I.  >:D

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 12:41:03 PM »
Think it may have something to do with making sure new arrivals get "hooked". Having eaten, you are already and can wait until they have time to get your bill.

Offline claire

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 05:44:13 PM »
Think it may have something to do with making sure new arrivals get "hooked". Having eaten, you are already and can wait until they have time to get your bill.

Think you''re right Alfaman.  A lot of the laughing, joking and smiling dried up at the end of the meal...  Really no big deal, just curious!

Offline philb1963

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
    • The Kalkan Apartment
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 04:05:20 PM »
We''ve never really experienced such a feeling.  Most times the waiters come across to say goodbye as you leave and many shake your hand etc. :)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 04:20:58 PM »
Never noticed this ever.  Actually quite the reverse (as Philb says).

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »
Never had a problem in the 6 years I''ve been going. In fact I find they are the friendliest of any country I''ve been to. So I deduce that it''s your cynisism that''s the problem.

Offline claire

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »
Never had a problem in the 6 years I''''ve been going. In fact I find they are the friendliest of any country I''''ve been to. So I deduce that it''''s your cynisism that''''s the problem.

I agree - it''s definitely the friendliest country I''ve ever been to too, which makes the bill paying/tip leaving experience even stranger as it doesn''t fit with all the other interpersonal experiences and interactions which are grand.   ???

Either way, hope to get back there as soon as possible!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Settling in

Started by Lindy on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 06:34:07 PM
by HolmfirthNicky
exclamation
Weird!!

Started by Chucky on The Everything Else Area!

6 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 10:30:34 PM
by sally
xx
Tipping?

Started by Annie on Flights and Travel

6 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 05:11:23 PM
by Annie
xx
Tipping

Started by Lynne T on Money & Finance

12 Replies
Last post May 13, 2018, 06:57:38 AM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal