Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Tipping?  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Annie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Tipping?
« on: July 07, 2008, 12:12:44 PM »
Hi,
Can anyone give advice on whether or not we have to tip our taxi driver when he collects us from the airport.  Likewise on the return journey.  Also, as we know the fare in advance, will they take sterling?
Oh, just remembered,  what is the policy on leaving tips in restaurants and beach clubs etc.  Any help would be gratefully received.
Many thanks, Annie

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1915.0

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Tipping?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 02:48:40 PM »
Hiya annie.
             you dont have to tip anyone,If your happy with them tip,if not tell them why your not happy,the taxi from the airport,sometimes I have tipped sometimes not,(depends If I am half asleep and forget) I usually tip 20 tl for the tranfer and yes they will take stirling,most people/places seem to.everyone likes to be tipped,in eating places and bars,tip what you think is right,usually everything is taken with thanks.   Neil. >:D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 04:31:53 PM »
Good words from Fidimax - I tend to tip in restaurants about 10% - and only because I am always happy coz I have always had a fantastic meal...! With other people - I sometimes tip and sometimes not and sometimes just round up or add on a couple of lira....

Hope that helps!!

:D :D
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Diane

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • Living in Kalkan
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 04:55:25 PM »
Be assured that tips (when deserved of course) are always welcomed by the restaurant and bar etc staff. Wages in Kalkan are low, even when considering that very basic accommodation is provided. Kalkan is VERY expensive for low paid locals who depend on tips to survive here.

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »
The tips however don''t always stay with the person you intend it for , your very nice waiter for example, they are pooled and sometimes unfairly distributed. Owners or managers may just see this as money left because their restaurant is so great, not knowing it''s actually meant for the waiter or the chef, and owners may feel they are giving enough to their staff already with the high wages they are paying them.

Save Kisiltas- ban the D400

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
We always tip the transfer driver - I just think with the rocketing cost of fuel, tolls etc the transfer companies must be feeling it. This year we gave a bigger tip to our transfer driver as we got into the car after arriving at Dalaman in 40c heat he produced two ice cold bottles of water from a cool box. We were impressed and very grateful - Enes was the company used for that transfer which was arranged by our apartment owners - we thought it was a nice touch and worthy of a bigger tip!. Mostly we tip around 10% (sometimes more if they don''t add a service charge) if we''ve been happy with the food and staff - which is usually always  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Annie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:11:23 PM »
Thanks to all yet again!  I would hate to offend in a country where I have never been.  Having lived in the USA, tipping is a way of life - regardless of the level of service! something I could never quite get my head around.  Anyway, got to wait until the end of Aug and sitting here on another wet summers day, IT CANNOT COME SOON ENOUGH.  Thanks again.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Tipping?

Started by Belladonna on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post August 29, 2012, 08:59:33 PM
by Belladonna
xx
Tipping

Started by Lynne T on Money & Finance

12 Replies
Last post May 13, 2018, 06:57:38 AM
by onelove
question
Tipping

Started by Kefgirl on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 09:22:07 PM
by Kefgirl
xx
Tipping in Hotels

Started by Alfaman on Accommodation and Hotels

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 08:27:05 PM
by ocean dreamer

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

New Logo

Views: 3869
By: Pete
cappadocia