Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan.Progress?  (Read 9924 times)

Offline johnl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Kalkan.Progress?
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:36:11 AM »
Could`nt think what to put as subject so sorry in advance if it seems melodramatic.First let me say that we love Kalkan,we returned home  last week after 2 weeks there and have already booked to return in October.For the first time,however,we heard quite a few people voicing their disappointment with Kalkan and not just tourists.Some of our Turkish friends were dismayed at the number of unfinished properties where no work had taken place over the winter months and of the disfigurement of the mountainside.British tourists we spoke to were very surprised at the prices,not just in the "posher"restaurants but in other shops as well.Some said that they would come to Turkey again but not Kalkan. I must admit that we felt some places were trying it on, even the market traders were trying to sell fakes for more than we paid for genuine item in the seemingly endless sales in England.A couple who stay at their daughters apartment from Easter to October told us that they used to eat out 4 or 5 night a week in Kalkan a few years ago now once or twice or they go over to Kas.Another sad sight that was causing concern was the dogs on the Kalamar road attacking cars and bikes,how they did`nt get killed or cause an accident i do not know,and it is pointless trying to tell parents of terrified children that they  would not harm them.I know that we are only visitors,(and we did overhear disparaging remarks about"tourists" from British people who live there,) but we do love Kalkan and fervently hope that the powers that be will ensure that progress is sympathetic and that the new mayor will start to put things right.We did point out to people that places like cafe Vita,Oz Adana,Merkaz,Tomato etc.were places where the food was excellent and not overpriced so i hope they tried them and will return.Sorry that this went on so long and may seem to some like a litany of moans,it is`nt .As i said before we love Kalkan and had a great 2 weeks,even the rain was quite exciting as we watched it pour down the street.It is just that we do not want to see Kalkan turn into a Spanish Costa or an ex pat enclave,because if it cannot retain its unique feel people will go elsewhere.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3579.0

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Kalkan.Progress?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 07:57:37 AM »
Well put Johnl, especially liked your comments on the Market, they are ''trying it on'', even the stall holders who sell everyday wear, hardware, tools etc. We had a couple of experiences there, one where we wanted a plastic bowl, so did, unbeknown to the stall holder a Turkish friend of ours who was at the same stall, they were quoted a much lower price than we were, our friend sorted that one out!!!  We eat out very little these days and when we do, go to either the cheaper & just as good places or further afield out of Kalkan.

Some of your other comments are very well founded as well, but yes its still got it charm has Kalkan together with the surrounding areas, which is what keeps drawing the faithfuls in.

Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 09:51:50 AM »
Strange about British people that live there making remarks about tourists..i would assume that most were exactly that themselves at one point!! ;D ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 09:52:53 AM »
Thanks John, it doesn''t sound melodramatic. Have to agree with you about the prices.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:00:15 AM »
I agree too JohnL I thought it was very well put and reasoned. Lets hope Kalkan never turns into Costa Del ExPat, that would be awful !

A wake up call perhaps?

Offline butterfly

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 10:49:42 AM »
Unfortunately, the British holiday makers who behave and dress in bad taste are probably conducting themselves in exactly the same way when they are at home.  They are oblivious to the fact that they don''t fit in and make no attempt to conform. 

As for the expensive restaurants, the fault may not lay with the restaurateurs but perhaps with their landlords who charge them very high rents.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 12:33:59 PM »
Hi all,

How much do you consider expensive for a 2 / 3 course meal ? ? ?    Do you have any examples of these expensive meals ? ? ?   
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »
I would be interested in what is regarded as an expensive meal in Kalkan - although I realise it will be different for many people.  Having just returned from a week in Sardinia we paid from 45 Euros for a two course meal (main course being pizza) and 2 beers to 85 Euros for a standard three course meal with wine.  My rough conversion makes that 98 to 185 Turkish Lira.  I don''t recall paying anything like those sorts of prices at any restaurant in Kalkan for comparable meals. 

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 03:09:23 PM »
You wont believe what we paid for average pasta meals in Rome....no starters or puds, a bit of dry bread, and tap water..........35/40 euros each.........again, I just dont get it, as far as me and my family are concerned Kalkan offers great value...... :-*

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 05:10:30 PM »
We have just returned from a week in Kalkan, we own a villa on Patara Prince and go regularly 3 times a year. Prices have definitely risen , but Kalkan is now seen as an up market resort. We ate out every night but were pleasantly surprised at some of the bills. We have breakfast in the villa, in the heat rarely eat anything at lunchtime and go into town for an evening meal. We had Meze at the Korsan which cost us TL25, plus a couple of drinks which made the total of the meal TL30, this works out at £6 per head. Our bill at The Aubergine came to  £42 and this included a bottle of wine. Obviously we wouldn''t eat there every night but by mixing and matching restaurants we manage to keep the prices reasonable. What is interesting is that the ''middle of the road'' restaurants seem to be hiking up the prices wheras the ''upper end'' don''t seem to have increased much.  When it is very hot I will sometimes have just a starter as my main meal which is ample.
I do however remember our first visit to Kalkan 9 years ago when four of us had a meal for TL12 in total. Alas those days  have gone. Compared to the eurozone countries Kalkan is still reasonable value for money and at least the food is Turkish. We have friends that went to Greece last year instead of Turkey and said there was no comparision, they are still serving lukewarm moussaka at hugely inflated prices. Needless to say they are returning to Kalkan this year.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 05:30:32 PM »
if you are out and about try eating locally,Patara has nice food in basic yet comfortable surroundings at still good prices as do other outlying villages..you will see a difference ;)

Offline DawnT

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 05:50:45 PM »
Totally agree with Butterfly!!  Football shirts in Kalkan!!! I live in a nice part of Essex and the only place we see football shirts are on the pitch, exactly where their should stay - and this is coming from an ardent football supporter.  Obviously I will apologise in advance, as there is is obviously going to be some backlash on my comments!!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 06:39:52 PM »
I remember the same thing happening last year.....all sorts of scary tales about how standards are falling etc.....and yet when we were there in August Kalkan was as beautiful as ever. We have always said the day the ''football shirts'' arrive will be our last in Kalkan...so fingers crossed it was just a blip. the lovely thing about Kalkan is that you can ''pay your money and take your choice''.....something for everyone. The most worrying thing I''ve heard is rude comments from ''ex-pats'' not everyone is lucky enough to be able to live in Kalkan or own property. Am still really looking forward to our 2 weeks in August!  :laugh:

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »
Hows this £17 for a small bottle of beer....£173 for a two course meal....£88 for a taxi back to the hotel no more than 8 miles........how could I ever moan about prices in Kalkan...not that I think they are expensive anyway......  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 

Where was I.....Tokyo !!!! land of the rising sun  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline ScotsinKalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »
Last August we enjoyed meals in Kalkan and further afield, Kalkan was always the most expensive. It is a premium place and as long as that "premium" does not get to much them I am happy to pay.

We found that a lot of the "top" restaurants were not actually that different and we we looking at copies of the same menu outside many places, I also find the people outside pitching the restaurants really irritating saying "look at our menu" when you had seen the same one 30 seconds before outside another place. This year we will try some of the smaller restaurants as you come into town perhaps.

We like Kalkan a lot and it is great when you get local food and not lots of signs saying full English breakfast served here!

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 03:48:16 PM »
Did anyone see the article in the Weekend supplement of The Times yesterday? They undertook a survey on the cost of items on holiday.

The 3 places featured were Newquay for the UK, Nice for France and Kalkan for Turkey. The final results were

Newquay - cheapest at £26.29 for the items
Kalkan - middle at £36.93 for the items
Nice - most expensive at £45.17 for the items.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 05:26:50 PM »
Items ? ? ?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »
This doesn''t include sunshine obviously!! :o :angel:

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 05:29:33 PM »
one of the items was a Big Mac.....let''s not go there again!!  >:D

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 06:00:16 PM »
A friend who works in travel PR, said (to put it diplomaticaly) the writer was not known for the quality of his research or accuracy.   

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

In full Flower

Views: 3967
By: Buster
The Lads - "Ollie"