Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Wi-Fi Installation  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Melek

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Wi-Fi Installation
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:52:02 AM »
Hi all

I wondered if anyone can advise.  I am thinking of having this installed and have been given various prices ?!?!.  Can anyone advise on how much I should expect to pay for installation/monthly cost and also how easy it was to install?  Thanks alot xxx

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3356.0

Offline clashgour

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Wi-Fi Installation
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 07:47:17 PM »
Have just had broadband installed by the guys on the top floor of the old Belediye.  Installation cost was 45YTL.  Turkish Telekon cannot supply a wifi router/modem until next week so have a temporary wired modem.  On top of this there is a 29YTL monthly charge by Telekon for a 4mb connection.

Of course you need a telephone installed first and the cost of this depends on how far you are from a switch.  In our case it was about 100m and cost about 200YTL.  You may already know this but you can only get a telephone if you have a residents permit or you know a Turk who will sign up on your behalf.

As things go in Turkey the whole process has been relatively painless and service from the all concerned has been good to excellent.

Please PM if you want any further information.

Best of luck.

Alan

Offline Melek

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 11:03:19 AM »
ah, thanks Alan thats really helpful and I hadn''t even thought about the phone line installation  >:( ::) ::) ! Am going over next Wednesday so will get the ball rolling on that.  If anyone has any ideas on how much I should be charging to guests for the facility that would be helpful.  I really don''t want to just incorporate into the rent as obviously not everyone will want to use it.  I was thinking along the lines of £25 per week?  I just figured that I am not at the top end of the market and therefore this is not a facility that I personally would expect for free in my type of accommodation.  Any thoughts would be most welcome!
Thanks for your time Alan.
xx

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 01:31:45 PM »
There are plenty of bars and restaurants with free Wi-Fi connection. I don''t know if guests would be willing to pay £25 per week.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 03:21:15 PM »
Indeed as it will cost you only 40TL a month to run [phone @11Tl + adsl @29TL] = £17 a month
So to charge £108 a month seems somewhat excessive especially if they don''t use it  :-[

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 05:21:23 PM »
I personally think that if you offer that facility then it should be incorporated into the price...we offer that facility and would not dream of charging people for it - and I would not expect to be charged for it - especially as people can simply go down the road and use wi-fi in any of the bars for free (well for buying a drink!!).

Personally I see it as an added incentive for people to rent our villa over the next villa....  :)
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline ScotsinKalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 10:52:35 PM »
Every villa we have rented. Turkey, France or Italy has always come with free wifi. It is now common for hotels to offer it free also. Charging may put people off.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 02:15:05 PM »
Alan, 29 TL / month is for 4 GB of downloaded data/month.  The allowable monthly quota.  After that, every mb of data consumed is surcharged and it is not cheap.  The connection is 8 mbps, it is not a 4mb connection.

http://www.ttnet.com.tr/evde_3

The villas we rented in Italy, France and Mexico did not come with any kind of internet connection.  We had to pay for installation and the monthly charge.  However, we do offer free wireless connection for our Kalkan and our Marbella renters.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:18:15 PM by Cosetta »
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »
Cosetta is right, 29 lira per month is for a limited download.  If you offer wi-fi to guests you will probably need unlimited download which is double the price.  I would think it very risky to offer limited download facility to guests who may well then download flims and you will end up with a very large bill for exceeding the download capacity.  You could of course just have the broadband for your own use and lock your moden in a cupboard when guests arrive.

Offline clashgour

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 09:55:20 PM »
Cosetta and Anne,

Thanks for your info.  It''s a lot clearer now.

Is there any way to measure how much data you have downloaded so you know when you are reaching your limit?

Also tried the Turk Telekom facility to measure the actual download speed and am only getting just under 1mbps.  Is this a common problem?

Alan

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Problems with Telephone/Internet installation

Started by clashgour on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 07:59:55 PM
by kevincat99

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Lake Buttmere

Views: 3584
By: blondie
Dalyan Delta