Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Insect bite  (Read 11573 times)

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Insect bite
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 06:09:24 PM »
 ;D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 06:33:45 PM »
instead of teatree oil you can use citronella, it doesn''t smell too wonderful but it''s not too foul either, I usually put about 2 dozen drops per bottle (enough to be able to smell it) both in sun and aftersun cream.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 06:42:47 PM »
You can get sunscreen with anti bug stuff already in,avon did a good one last year and it seemed to work
fine.

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
Well I''m going to try dousing my feet and ankles in vinegar before we go out in the evening, vinegar is supposed to be an insect repellant. It''s worth a try.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 03:21:52 PM »
littlelin
So you''ll be the one walking around Kalkan smelling like a chip shop then :)
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 03:53:42 PM »
if you''re putting vinegar on make sure you don''t have any cuts or anything it will sting like hell!! :o
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 04:00:46 PM »
Absolutely Brooksie. Now what Kalkan really needs is a good old Fish & Chip shop................... >:D ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 05:11:09 PM »
I''m not going anywhere near Avon stuff...the skin so soft was a disaster for me last year. I know it works for loads of other people, but it was more like an insect attraction for me  >:( I was bitten far more than I have been for years, so I can only put it down to that...plus there were a few break-dancing moments in the bathroom when I used the oil spray without standing on a towel. I have tons of citronella oil for my garden burners, but I''m assuming I need to go to a health shop and buy the stuff neat if I''m going to put it in my lotions  ???
Does that Turkish lemon cologne stuff work?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline streety

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 07:10:12 PM »
I''ve always found the ''Off'' stuff they sell in Kalkan is good. Also, found the little ******* like to start biting as soon as the sun goes over the mountain, so don''t delay.

Sun goes down time for alcohol crisps and --- Off!!

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »
I take a one-a-day anti-histamine for 2 weeks before I go & while I am there to sort out prickly heat problems. The side effect of this is that any bites I get are not a problem at all. In fact I hardly notice them to the extent that Oh will say that I have a mossie bite on my back/front/whereever (:D) & I have not been aware of it.

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 07:44:32 PM »
As far as citronella is concerned you can buy it from Asda if they have a pharmaceutical section other than that buy the essential oil from anywhere that sells oils. Local stuff Sin kov is brilliant sold in all the supermarkets, after you have put on your after sun spray around your feet, ankles, head and ears (particularly feet, they attract them like you would not believe!)
  I know this because?.....you guessed it, like so many others they make a meal of me too, given the chance!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 09:51:57 PM »
I suffer from hayfever (uk only) so am full of antihistamine when i reach Kalkan...i get chomped like everybody else >:(!! i rely on boots "repel" with extra deet and when it runs out in kalkan i buy"sin kov"..but have to say things are a lot better since the mozzie busters have been active blatting them at source ;)

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 07:18:58 AM »
When I get bitten, I zap it with a small electric spark device from boots travel section. That stops it from itching and me from scratching and thereby infecting it. I then clean  it with anti bacterial wipes. If it blisters clean it with a shower wash net and then use wipes. I use sinkov spray at night when going out or sitting outside. It is only when I forget and stay outside while the sun goes down that I get bitten. That said I''ve only been bitten once in the last six months.

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »
Kalkan4eva - do the flying beetles bite? I now suspect I was bitten by one on the eyelid a couple of years ago when one got stuck behind my sunspecs but I put it down to a mozzie!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 06:16:27 PM »
Omigod Alfaman...you had one of those monsters stuck behind your sunspecs :o :o :o
I don''t know if they bite, I never stick around long enough to find out....but I imagine if one was stuck behind your sunglasses you were lucky not to lose your eye ;D ;D. Those things block out the sun when they fly over and woe betide anyone who gets in my way when I''m running for shelter.

I take the antihistamanes religiously - 3 weeks before and during and my bites are markedly improved, but still pretty nasty - they don''t stop the blighters, just lessons my allergic reaction to them.
This year it''s everything I can get my hands on...so if you''re sitting in a bar next to a blonde forty something woman, smelling a bit like a lemon with a touch of tea tree, deet and sin kov...looking out for B52 bomber beetles...that would be me ;D ;D

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 06:28:11 PM »
Dont forget the vinegar K4E  :laugh:

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2009, 06:29:22 PM »
wear smaller glasses ;D ;D ;D

Offline claire

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2009, 06:34:23 PM »
...plus there were a few break-dancing moments in the bathroom when I used the oil spray without standing on a towel.

That just made me do a little wee...very, very funny  :laugh:

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
Now that will stop the bites,but might attract the flies  ;D

Offline maddie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2009, 06:57:22 PM »
I too will try anything to avoid biting insects. I was hospitalised in Greece a long time ago with a severe allergic reaction to mossie bites so I need to be extra careful. I take Brewers Yeast tablets a few weeks before I go and while I''m there. I also spray ankles with repellent before going out at night. I have not been bitten for a few years now.
So if you sit next to a lady who smells like a brewery!!!!!!!!!!1  its the tablets honestly.  :angel:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Late night bite to eat

Started by LovesKalkan on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

9 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 11:02:09 AM
by alantj
xx
Mozzie bite prevention advice

Started by Skunk on General Discussion

14 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 06:55:31 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan street

Views: 8377
By: claire
Pebble and Mr.Pebble