Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Day trips  (Read 3840 times)

Offline cindy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Day trips
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
Hi, I am a first timer to Kalkan.  I am going to be there over the Easter break with my two teenage sons.  I was hoping to get some advice about which tours to take and which operators to use for day trips.  I am particularly interested in going to Sakikent Gorge and taking a boat trip.   and thought it would be good to get an idea of prices etc so I can budget accordingly.

I believe the weather won''t really be "beach" weather but thought we might try snorkelling as well.  Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cindy

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3002.0

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
Re: Day trips
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
Hi Cindy, I tried scuba diving at the Kalamar Beach Club last October, very well organised and they cater for all ages. It was fantastic. You go out for 2 dives with an instructor in close proximity. The water is very clear and you see lots of fish. My daughter, her partner and I went out together and fed fish underwater standing on the bottom while the instructors took lots of photos of us. If you go to the Kalkan Dive Centre website click on the October 28th 08 photos and we are the happy threesome. It cost us £25 each, exceptional value. You should have a go yourself if you can swim confidently,great fun! The Saklikent Gorge was good day trip, but when you paddle you need some water shoes to wear, they supply them if you haven''''t any. We visited a trout farm and had lunch there on the way to the gorge and visited other attractions during the day. Can''''t remember how much it cost but it was a good day out. We went on the Kekova Sunken City boat trip day out, with lunch cooked on the boat after diving in for a quick swim. We then moored and walked up a steep hill past some old tombs to an old ruined castle from where the views were stunning. Again thoroughly recommended, but again cannot remember the cost. We go to Kalkan in late May and October half terms so cannot really say what the weather at Easter will be like. Choose a warm day if poss for the Saklikent Gorge. Hope this is of some help, Best of luck. Regards, Allan.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:32:49 PM by AllanChris »
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 09:38:49 PM »
Hi Cindy - welcome to our friendly forum!

I havent really got much to add to AllanChris''s reply other than to say that the weather may not be particularly warm - you may get sunny days and you may get cloudy or rainy days and the sea will be COLD!  Saklkent gorge will have a lot of water in it still - so not sure if you will be able to walk up the gorge at all - especially thinking of the amount of rain they have had/are having this winter I suspect it might be fuller than normal - but it will still be a good day out.  Definitely recommend everything AllanChris says - you just may have to temper it for the time of the year as you are so early in the season!

Have fun - you will love kalkan and I am sure that you will want to come back again!

Cheers! :)
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:58:59 PM »
Have a look at the "Places to visit/Things to do/Excursions" section. That is full of reports and information of the many trips and places of interest in and around Kalkan. I am sure you will find something that you will all enjoy.

Joan

Offline cindy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:46:29 AM »
Thanks for the advice,  the Dive centre sounds good!   I have spent hours pouring over the "Places to Visit" but some were posted a while ago and I am thinking that there might be some things closed in April.

Offline kalkan wife

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 06:54:55 PM »
As an experienced scuba diver may I add that the sea water temperature in October is far warmer than in April. I will be a very chilly 14 degrees or so I think. Definately not for the faint hearted and you will need a wet suit of at least 5mm.
I have found the best ''dive boat'' operation to be Dolphin Scuba based in the harbour. They don''t have an office as such but if you PM me I can give you contact details.

Offline cindy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 07:21:47 PM »
I e-mailed Adda tours today asking about the different tours they did and in particular about the tour to sakikent gorge but the reply I got back was that the tours did not start until May.  I am not sure if this was just in response to the sakikent gorge tour or all of them.  Does anyone know?

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 10:10:25 PM »
Try some of the other tour operators in Kalkan - someone may be able to sort something out. Express are usually helpful, I find.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 10:17:02 PM »
Hi Cindy

Saklikent is not open until May, there are a limited number of other excursions available however

Hope that helps

Jon

Offline mel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 10:31:18 PM »
Saklikent Gorge never closes,you can visit the gorge all year round but you are not able to walk up the gorge during the winter months as the water level would be too high and dangerous, you can still walk a short way through on the walkway however. One restaurant appeared to be open when I was there last week.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 10:36:49 PM »
Thanks for the update Mel  :)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 07:28:17 AM »
Instead of a tour you can just negotiate with a taxi or travel agent for a car and driver to take you out for the day. You could probably visit Saklikent then go onto one of the ancient sites and then to Patara Beach before they bring you home. It would be cheaper than paying for 3 on a tour and you get to write your own itinarary.

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 08:49:25 AM »
Cindy
Mrs Brooksie and I are out there Easter week as well. We will be going to Fethiye on market day (Tuesday), so if you want to grab a lift you''re more than welcome.
Mark
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline cindy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 10:11:22 AM »
thanks guys for all the help. It sounds like hiring a car and getting out and about by myself is probally a good bet.  the boys had wanted to go canoeing or rafting, but we might need to re-think that now. :)

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 10:15:21 AM »
The restaurants at Saklikent were open when I was there at new year.  The setting is worth visiting even if you can''t walk up the gorge and it was very peaceful.  It''s also an easy drive from Kalkan.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 12:14:32 PM »
When we were there last week the restaurant in the gorge itself where you wade across the river had been demolished and the place was a real mess. However a couple of the places outside by the river were open

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
any new day trips to be done

Started by craig3166 on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 06:55:30 AM
by tonik1945
xx
trips

Started by Lorretta on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 07:05:24 PM
by Kalkan regular
question
Trips

Started by RoseForever on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2015, 03:36:52 PM
by Lizilu20
thumbup
Trips to Meis

Started by Chucky on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

1 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 12:12:07 PM
by edwina

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal