Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan Golf Course?  (Read 23193 times)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Kalkan Golf Course?
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:07:39 AM »
Some recent questions about local golf courses reminded me of a thought I have every time I travel between Kalkan and Kas - does anyone else think that the volcano-style crater behind Patara Prince would be the perfect venue for a golf course?

If so, remember where you heard the idea!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2911.0

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
Re: Kalkan Golf Course?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:15:07 AM »
I have heard on the grapevine that there IS going to be a golf course Patara way but cant say where I heard it!  ;) ;)
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:18:29 AM »
year before last we were offered a lift back from Patara with a local property developer...during conversation  he showed us some plans that were drawn up for a golf course...he was looking for land and had been to Letoon area, as this was the year before last i assume he didn''t find it? but it looks like it''s on the radar for developers once one of them  has the idea!! :o
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline sue1945

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:19:19 PM »
We have been saying for years that the crater would make a great golf course, lets hope someone takes up the idea and runs with it soon. We are always being asked by our guests where the nearest one is. Does anyone know where the nearest is?

Offline Jik

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Emerald Apartment - Kalkan
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 06:36:27 PM »
I too have heard there are plans at Patara. I know it would be a very nice addition to the area, especially for us property owners, however it will make it far busier and the building work will just continue to meet the demand and then lovely Kalkan becomes a bustling metropolis and Patara would be unrecognisable.
... I say leave the crater and Patara to remain the beautiful historic and peaceful places that they are today. Antalaya is only 3 hours away!

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:04:07 PM »
anyone EnjoyGolf  ;D

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 07:24:34 PM »
Aren''t there local people living in and around that area?

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 08:26:41 PM »
It''ll never happen to hot to sparse to expensive to maintain.........

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:58:44 PM »
i bet thats what they said in the Belek area before it was built?

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 10:06:12 PM »
In the current climate golf courses through out the world are dying on their back sides. To survive any  club will need a large membership base be able to host world class tournaments. the biggest issue will be any investors will want to see a quick and healthy return on their investments. The cost of building a first class course is phenomenal along with the running costs......just cant see it happening.....   

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 10:17:48 PM »
If you want to play golf you could always go to Sarigerme near to Dalaman, where they will have a new golf course and a new Hilton Hotel opening this year
It is about 2 hours from Kalkan

Offline hellothere

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
As I understand it, someone developed plans to build a luxury hotel complex incuding golf course, near Patara as you have said. However, the authorities turned down the application, and I tend to agree with them, a brand new 5* complex would not really add to the charm of Patara!

Belek has some excellent golf courses but is a purpose built tourism zone with none of the natural beauty and charm of Kalkan, Kas, Patara etc.

A brand new Hilton resort with golf course is due to open this year in Dalaman (Sarigerme), but until then the closest golf is Antalya, but even there it only attracts tourists at certain times of the year. We went to the National Golf Club in Belek in June and were the only people on the course, the pro caddied for my partner because he was so bored!!!

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 10:20:03 AM »
The Government''s national tourism plan for this area absolutely rules out golf courses. This is an area of outstanding beauty, sensitive eco-systems and special cultural interest. A golf course would do nothing to enhance the area.

One of the biggest concerns when a golf course is built is the impact of the very high use of pesticides which are deployed to maintain the greens.  The extensive use of pesticides on golf courses raises serious questions about people''s toxic exposure, drift over neighboring communities, water contamination, and effects on wildlife and sensitive ecosystems.

In the extremely dry region of the Mediterranean,  the issue of water scarcity is of particular concern. Because of the hot climate and the tendency of tourists to consume more water when on holiday than they do at home, the amount used can run up to 440 litres a day. This is almost double what the inhabitants of an average Turkish city use.

Golf course maintenance can deplete these scarce fresh water resources.  Golf courses require an enormous amount of water every day and, as with other causes of excessive extraction of water, this can result in water scarcity. If the water comes from wells, over-extraction can cause saline intrusion into groundwater. Golf resorts are more and more often situated in or near protected areas or areas where resources are limited, exacerbating their impacts. Patara is a protected area.

Last year in the tourist season, the village was without water for a total of 5 weeks ( comprising numerous cuts of two days or longer) Imagine the impact on the water supply if greens had to be watered for hours each day to maintain grass. .

To artificially create an area which requires huge amounts of water to maintain it is environmentally irresponsible in a country which is already suffering severe water shortages (despite the recent heavy rains here) The government is now proposing to introduce national water laws to conserve water. http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detaylar.do?load=detay&link=102725

Kalkan and its environs is not a place for a golf course.

Lantana

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 10:41:17 AM »
Just found an article on the internet which highlights the water use issue re golf courses. In one day, the average golf course in American uses as much water as 15,000 people. Since Americans use almost twice the amount of water daily a Turks, this would mean that maintaining a golf course here would use as much water as 30,000 people.

The World wildlife Fund in Turkey has launched a campaign to limit the development of golf courses in southern Turkey

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/2007/wwf-golf-course/

If you want to destroy Kalkan then building a golf course is the best way to do it.

Lantana

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 11:27:23 AM »
I would like to see a nice crazy golf complex down by the harbour, the type with windmills and various novelty structures you try and putt the ball into !!! They could have all those manky stuffed toys hanging up around the booth that you can win !!!

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 12:01:15 PM »
Yeah and added to that - the proposed blackpool pier/promenade and kiss me quick hats and Kalkan will be a lovely place....................  :P :P :P

Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 12:07:59 PM »
Thank the Lord for The Wildlife Fund in Turkey, hope they succeed.

And well said Lantana, re the destroying of Kalkan, has it & the surrounding areas not got enough to offer already?
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 12:42:18 PM »
Felicity.....you forgot the large parties on Hen holidays L plates and pink angel wings oh and pink cowboy hats !!!!

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 01:39:40 PM »
And watery beer,minging burgers and lots of chippies,horse droppings all over the place.
but,does this mean I can buy a golf cart to fly up and down the hills and the cobbles,wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Neil. ;D >:D

Have a great day Jon,happy birthday ;)
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 01:42:22 PM »
Misty is also correct from a financial profitability standpoint.  We''ve a friend who though of developing a golf course in the Berzigan area.  But profitable golf courses first require the building of not only 5* hotels, but also residental housing complexes such as luxury apartments.  Then they must be able to attract world class golfers or they do not remain viable. 

Add that to the water and ecological problems, as has been said, it will never happen in this area.  Thank goodness!

Could we try for a good tennis court?
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
golf

Started by grunteress on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:46:57 AM
by Enişte
xx
Golf

Started by alshepuk on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 03:08:33 PM
by alshepuk
xx
Golf

Started by star-medreps on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 09:12:09 AM
by Rosie
recycled
Open golf - TV or not TV?

Started by BearsdenTony on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 09:56:33 PM
by BearsdenTony

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal