Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Will we have problems with a large party?  (Read 5798 times)

Offline steve-lewis

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Will we have problems with a large party?
« on: February 02, 2009, 04:27:45 PM »
Hello Kalkan Lovers. We have booked for 1st time in Kalkan for end August 2009. Wondering what problems we may find with a Family of 9 people.

getting about:
Not really sure of our Villa location and wondered how far out of the centre it will be: It''s described as 3 Min''s walk to the beach and that it is in a residential area overlooking Kalamar Bay??
Hoping that it really will be close enough to walk in & out, because we can''t afford to taxi 9 people to & from every day!

For further afield trips, we were hoping to go by Dolmus, but will 9 people pose a problem for these?

Do you think we should try to hire a Minibus or something??

Eating out:
Will most restaurants be able to sit 9 of us together?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2842.0

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Will we have problems with a large party?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 04:53:46 PM »
If it''s 3 mintes from Kalamar beach, you''ll be lucky to walk it into Kalkan in less than 20 minutes. About 30 on the way back!

Offline Villa Pisces

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 04:58:25 PM »
You can hire a self drive minibus for just a little over the price of a car. Try Xpress Cars in the Kalamar Road, they have a website.  We use them all the time.
I have driven one of their little minibusses, they are easy to drive and comfortable.  Ask them for a quote it will make your life easier.
Enjoy your stay

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 05:02:11 PM »
Hiya steve lewis,If go to the maps page you will get an idea of the distance from Kalamar bay to town,you might even be able to pin point the villa if you know the address.
Do you know the name of the villa ? someone might know it and be able to give more info.
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 05:11:32 PM »
Hiya Steve,

There are 8 of going in May so we''re hiring a minibus from Abi Travel.  We''ve not used them before, but the''ve been really helpful so far.  We''re picking it up from Dalaman and it''s costing £350 for the week.

In some of the busier restaurants you may have to make a reservation for 9 of you as they do get busy in August.

Hope that you love Kalkan as much as we all do!
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline teke

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:33:49 PM »
Not seen a beach at Kalamar!!
Teke

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 06:50:21 PM »
You can book online with a number of the restaurants either before you go or if you have internet connections when you are there. A list of the restaurants can be seen on the maps page. There are also restaurant reviews you can search through to see some comments on them. If you have children with you it will be a long walk. As Fi said probably half an hour. The minibus sounds like a good option.

Bj
Carpe diem

Offline JayneyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 08:07:05 PM »
I do think people are often misled, as Kalamar isnt Kalkan, and as Teke has pointed out, there is no beach.  If I thought I had booked to stay in Kalkan, I would be very disappointed to find I was in Kalamar.
I do not intend to upset anyone who likes Kalamar, but I think it needs to be pointed out to people who have never visited the area before, and are choosing their accommodation.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:48:58 PM »
or maybe people should do a bit of research before they book ?  ???

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 08:52:23 PM »
Horses for courses! I would have been disappointed if I had found myself in Kisla or Kiziltas. Kalkan has no beach as such just shingle and stone and quite hard to get in and out of the sea. Kalamar is a 20 minute walk for adults longer for children. There are two beach clubs at Kalamar both made from rock, stone and concrete. Kalamar is often busy and more suitable for older children with lots of attractions. Canoes. sea trampoline, pedaloes, banana boats etc. It also has a dive centre and the snorkeling is fabulous. Kalube is quieter, more geared to adults and really beautiful.A mini bus would be a really good idea and although expensive initially will more than pay for itself in taxi fares saved and the freedom to get out and about.

Offline KalkanPosh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 09:12:41 PM »
And restaurants will be VERY pleased for your custom....although it may be a good idea to book a little in advance (or be prepared for a short wait) to secure a lovely table in the restaurant you fancy! :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 09:31:19 PM »
Maybe the confusion arose regarding the "beach" because Kalamar  advertises itself as a beach club....as do others without beaches as such? ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 10:03:45 PM »
Kalkan (and villa owners) can be a bit misleading for first time visitors.  It''s easy to research once you''ve been...

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 08:03:40 AM »
Kalamar is TOO far to walk into Kalkan in the heat of August - taxis will be expensive (coz you will need 2 of them) so hiring a minibus will be your cheapest option...

Yes - also - you will need to book in August to ensure your party of 9 can be seated together at a time you want.

yes - I also agree with other comments - first timers to Kalkan can easily be misled if they think they are going to be where they are not..I''m not sure what the answer is because they cannot imagine what a place is like until they have been there.  For sure - 2nd time around (IF they like it enough to come back) they wont be caught out and will research more thoroughly!!!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 10:49:09 AM »
I agree with Felicity - research is so much easier to do once you''ve been to Kalkan because you know what questions to ask (eg is the villa above or below the petrol station, where exactly are you on Kalamar road in relation to, say. Asfiya Hotel... etc) .  Hopefully you will be making a return visit Steve-lewis - most of us do!

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 10:55:10 AM »
It''s a good walk about 30-40 mins but as long as you are averagely fit perfectly possible. We stayed in Kalamar bay for several years and used to walk in most days (first with a pushchair and later with a 5-6 year old) usally stopping half way for a beer or snack at the paper moon.

Regards

Alan  

Offline steve-lewis

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 12:43:28 PM »
Thanks to those who gave positive tips and advice. It''s a shame I didn''t find this website until we had booked our Villa. From maps & info, and even on this site, it is not easy to tell where our Villa is. It was described as Kalkan, overlooking Kalamar Bay, so we didn''t know that it was a different place to Kalkan! Our requirements were simply a Villa to sleep 9 or 10 people near the sea/beach in Turkey - anywhere (but not marmaris, because we went there last year)! So I am still quite pleased that we are near to a lovely looking place like Kalkan. The area looks like it crammed with places to visit & we like visiting ancient ruins etc.

The Turkish owner seems very nice, and it did say on his advert that a car was recommended. I''ve asked him some questions about exactly where we are and although he hasn''t given a Road name, he says that we could walk to the "front of beach" in 4 mins, where we can get a "free boat ride" 10 mins to Kalkan, then in Kalkan catch the Dolmus to Patara & the Lycian Sites. As they say - there''s no such thing as a free launch  ;)
Ah well, we will be as wise as some of you after we have visited!

We have 3 generations and children are 15, 16 & 18, so it''s my poor parent in laws, I am a bit concerned about for long, hot, hilly walking.

I''m thinking that we should hire a minibus or similar for the 2 weeks and pick it up/drop it at the Airport.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 01:27:19 PM »
Hiya Steve,I think a mini bus would be a good idea you would be able to come and go as you please without having to wait for taxis or the dolmus and as you are staying in a villa you could do a really big shop,I think in the long run it would be more practical and would probably save you money.

Nel. ;D

ps. I wasnt having a go when I wrote "people should do more research " its just the way I do things when I book a holiday,but as members have said once you have been to kalkan you get to know the lay of the land.

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »
Hi Steve Lewis
I did not know there was a free boat from Kalamar Bay to Kalkan Harbour, and am hence wondering whether your villa is in Kisla?
Do you know the name of the villa?  Someone  in EK may know the villa and be able to help more.
I am sure wherever it is you will really enjoy your holiday!
Em
Em

Offline JayneyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 03:50:20 PM »
we were a party of 9 last July in Kalkan for 2 weeks and we hired 2 jeeps as it gave us a bit more flexibility.  However this year there will only be 7 of us and we will be hiring a minibus.  There are so many beautiful places to visit in the area and it will definitely be easier if you hire a vehicle if there are 9 of you.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
large viilla

Started by janeta on Accommodation and Hotels

0 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 10:18:25 AM
by janeta
xx
Large Sun Umbrella

Started by Kalkankiwi on Classifieds - Wanted

1 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:04:59 AM
by Christina
xx
Large Villa need for 13

Started by Blueboy1 on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2018, 12:25:22 PM
by onelove
xx
Large supermakets

Started by jcac on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 05:33:23 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal