Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Sudden surge in bookings  (Read 9398 times)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Sudden surge in bookings
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 04:25:57 PM »
It''s a good job that one size doesn''t fit all, isn''t it?

We sometimes lose potential bookings on the grounds that we can''t claim to have a "spectacular view" - but then on the other hand, we get more bookings from people that have had the fantastic views last year but want to be closer to the town this year... it''s just horses for courses.
Give and take.
Each to their own.
Vive la difference.
etc etc

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 07:56:49 PM »
That''s what we love about our apartment at the Emir. Just high enough up to get a good view but within a few minutes walk to the old town. We had holidays in Kalkan before we bought and by our second buying trip we had a clearly defined ''easily accessible to Kalkan'' line and would only look at properties within this area.
Bookings for this year have definately come in earlier than last year.

Lancs

Lancs
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 09:14:57 PM »
Yes we also have had a surge in bookings for this year
 taxis maybe excpensive but you also have the noise factor when booking
  nearer to the town

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 09:45:26 PM »
We stayed near town last year and are going back to the same place again this year it was so nice..you can''t hear a thing.....just crickets!! :D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 10:27:11 AM »
We prefer to have a nice view so don''t mind being a bit further out of town...and we don''t mind walking into the centre of Kalkan (....and back  ;D) so the taxi costs don''t affect us and it''s not a factor when we book, normally. This year, however, we are staying closer to the village because our daughters are coming with us and we wanted to them to be able to walk in and out on their own without too much hassle. Fortunately we have found a lovely penthouse apartment with spectacular views and a genuine 5 min walk to Moonlight Bar. Perfect - although I will have to invent new and longer walks into the centre and back  just to burn the excessive calories I''m bound to consume  ;D ;D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 12:32:12 PM »
Getting away from the view/walk/taxi/noise debate, and back to the original point of this thread ;)

I just had a look at our hit rate on the Ownersdirect advert. It makes interesting reading:

January 2008 - 185 hits

January 2009 so far - 489 hits.

Hits to enquiries ratio is about the same at 15:1; enquiries to bookings about 3:1

I think that speaks for itself. Holidaylettings are up by a similar amount - but what does this mean?

I think the following factors:

1. More people are looking at Turkey rather than Eurozone because of the high euro
2. More looking at Kalkan generally because of recent press coverage
3. People are going self-catering rather than hotels, to keep costs down
4. Those that are looking at SC are more interested in smaller apartments than villas, again to keep costs down.

Any other suggestions? (apart from the fact that we have nice neighbours, Mark)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:37:04 PM by MartynE »

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 12:34:25 PM »
EnjoyKalkan Safety

Post removed
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:43:36 PM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 01:42:40 PM »
The British press are really focusing on holidays outside the Eurozone like Egypt, Morocco, Croatia and Turkey at the minute. You will probably find, Martyn, that those other countries are experiencing a similar surge in bookings.
As you say, Kalkan has featured quite heavily in the press - The Daily Mail, for example, which will make it more attractive to those who haven''t ever visited Turkey - well it''s good enough for David Cameron etc etc!!!

So you choose Kalkan and you read about all the restaurants and you think it makes more sense not to be tied to a hotel and there is a lot of self catering accomodation on the market - it''s not neccesarily cheaper to go self catering :o, so a lot of people won''t be driven by price. I think it might be a bit of a generalisation to say those looking for SC are more interested in smaller apartments - you cater for the size of your party - whatever that is.

I think it may be as simple as more couples coming to Kalkan - it''s not marketed as a child-focused resort and with all the other factors coming into play, this could explain why you are experiencing a surge in hits for your apartments. It would be interesting to know the age range of your guests as I would hazzard a guess they might be younger generation who will go for the best price they can get and would be less bothered about views. Could be wrong though...might only be me and my BH who want the spectacular view  :) :) The apartment we have booked for this year is practically fully booked too, and that has three bedrooms - so it really is horses for courses.

I realise it would be helpful if you had some real evidence of why your bookings are up - as you would want to replicate it for 2010 and beyond - leave a questionaire for your guests  ;D

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 05:10:22 PM »
Thanks for that Martyn.
We don''t let our place out at the moment, but we have had a lot of enquires from friends and family about using  our place this year. Times are tough as we all know, but the more people that move away from the Spanish Costas and visit Turkey, the more they will realise that Turkey is a wonderful country and it will, I''m sure generate repeat bookings in the future once they see how beautiful it is.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 07:22:04 PM »
I realise it would be helpful if you had some real evidence of why your bookings are up - as you would want to replicate it for 2010 and beyond - leave a questionaire for your guests  ;D

We do!!

Actually, your assessment is pretty well spot on. Our clientele seems to be split fairly evenly between youngish couples (a notable preponderance of teachers & young professionals) and older empty-nesters who have  finally got out of taking the kids with them (like us)!  Having said that, there are always exceptions - we have had a few family groups who find it useful to split their party between two or three apartments in the same block - parents & younger kids in one apt, grandparents in another and moody teenagers on their own in another, for example. ;)

Take your point about the view though. If it''s important to you, nothing else will do... just hope no-one builds in front of it by the summer!!! ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:31:25 PM by MartynE »

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »
You offer a suggestion and your post in removed ???

EnjoyKalkan Safety

Its all in the wording Misty  ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:32:59 PM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 07:36:02 AM »
Maybe we should have a system where we send our posts in to be vetted by who ever has power of censorship over such matters. They could then decide if they are happy with the content and then they can post it on the forum.......just a thought  :)

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 06:02:36 PM »
Don''t know what Misty said but I thought advertising was supposed to be limited to the accommodation section! Some of this is a bit blatant.

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009, 09:38:46 PM »
I''ve forgotton since my last smackies - what''s wrong with blatant advertising again? Genuine query for a doddery old fart!

Offline Jamera

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
    • Villa Jamera
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 01:28:14 PM »
Hi there

I think one obvious action that lead to the surge in bookings - we''ve seen it too - is that Easy Jet released their Dalaman flights at the beginning of January - many people wait to get cheap flights first before their book the villa

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sudden jump in booking enquiries

Started by MartynE on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post May 19, 2016, 03:02:25 PM
by felicity
xx
Villa bookings

Started by ladybird on Accommodation and Hotels

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 10:00:53 PM
by indigo
exclamation
Please check your bookings

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 08:27:27 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
How are bookings going for this year ?

Started by onelove on General Discussion

13 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 08:12:56 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal