Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Orphanages  (Read 6385 times)

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Orphanages
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:15:50 AM »
Often on this forum Kalkan is portrayed as a type of Disneyland. I was shocked to read this article about orphanages in Turkey. I am fully aware that newspapers make a story read as they want it to be and I certainly wouldn''t want it to have any detrimental effect on Turkey but it''s the real world so please read it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1082355/Fergie-undercover-The-Duchess-York-bluffs-way-orphanages-Turkey.html

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2569.0

Offline theinspector

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: Orphanages
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 12:53:42 PM »
well done mercimek for bringing this to everyones attention. I have just read the article in the mail and it has really moved me  we have travled the world and seen many places like this our most recent being Cambodia But i was realy surrpised to find it on such a large scale in Turkey :)
I know turkey is a very big country but this should not be happening  when you think of All the millionairs &Billionairs who run our countries  But as he old saying goes out of sight out of mind.
More people SHOULD and MUST be made aware of what is happening.
michael

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 02:03:23 PM »
Unlike the Mail reporter or Sarah Ferguson, I have visited the Saray orphanage openly, on many occasions over a  period of years when working with an international charity in Ankara.

The conditions are far from ideal but they are nothing like the picture painted by the article. The orphanage is severely under resourced but in very difficult circumstances tries to provide the children with a secure, stable and humane environment.

It is clean, welcoming and well maintained. The buildings in which the orphanage is housed are a mix of old and new. It is not hidden away somewhere, out of sight and out of mind.

Very few of the children are orphans, most have been abandoned by families unable or unwilling to cope with either mental or physical disabilities. I remember beautiful three year old twin girls who were diabetic. They were at Saray because their family had been unable to care for them. They were shown care and tenderness and although in an institution, were loved and well looked after.

Many of the children do have dreadful disabilities but everything possible is done to relieve their suffering. The staff are kind and caring. There are many independent volunteer groups involved with this orphanage both Turkish and International.  Had the conditions been anything like those described in the article, there would have been a public outcry long before this.

Yes, a visit to Saray is harrowing. Seeing severely disabled children is very distressing. The children who are mentally handicapped are very disturbing to the casual visitor, as so many appear locked in unbreachable isolation ,but generating publicity by turning fact into fiction is inexcusable.

I watched as week after week, month after month, progress was made.  Children whose situation at first sight had appeared hopeless, improved, sometimes almost imperceptably, because of the care and attention of the staff and volunteers at Saray. The quality of life of these children is of paramount importance to all those involved in their care.

So before you rush to condemn, your opinion based solely on the word of a Daily Mail reporter, take time to find out the facts behind the sensationalism.

Lantana

Offline Pauline

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 05:41:04 PM »
Having read the article this morning I also was very disturbed by the article and was relieved to read Lantana''s first hand and honest report on this situation.   It just confirms how much we should not always believe what is printed in the press.   Thank you Lantana for explaining the true situation to us.  pauline

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 06:13:46 PM »
Like pretty much anything printed in that rag, it needs to be taken with an immense pinch of salt.  What with their regular miracle cures for diseases and other crusades, they love tarring entire countries or organisations with one huge and unmanageable brush, whatever hurt it causes or how far it puts back the causes it criticises.

Fergie has finally found her level and I hope they will be very happy together

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 12:07:11 AM »
It will be interesting to view the programmes broadcast later this week in the UK, also to see if there is any follow up coverage to defend the institution. Lantana obviously paints a very different picture and I wonder if another journalist will choose to do an article based on a similar opinion to defend Turkey and it''s institutions.

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 07:51:13 AM »
Mercimek,

I doubt it - journos NEVER let the truth get in the way of a good story. 30 years ago in a previous life I was often interviewed for local newspapers - I would say that perhaps 1 in a 100 reporters ''reported'' what I actually said and I formed the impression that they had concocted their stories on the way to the interviews. I decided then that I would NEVER believe anything I read in ANY newspaper without further corroberation.

r2

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 10:39:32 AM »
Agree re journalists and also the propaganda the BBC (in particular) broadcast, that is one thing I learnt from living overseas. I will be interested to view the programmes and make a clearer assessment, after all many people who live in the UK may find a typical Turkish village house equats to living in squallor/poverty. I still find the story interesting as to what effect the programme will have in the UK and also the reaction here.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 11:14:38 AM »
Am more than sure that the very hard working members of the Ankara International Charities Committee will also be interested in the article, as they help with a lot of hard work, to raise money for these orphanages & other institutions.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 12:47:14 PM »
Lantana, I''m so grateful for your post. I read the article yesterday, and whilst I understand how media works - the photographs were disturbing, so I''m relieved to read of your own experiences of Saray.
The piece in the Mail was sensationalist (quelle surprise!) in order to pull in viewers for the TV programme this week and let''s face it, that''s yet another vainglorious attempt by Sarah Ferguson to promote herself and her "good works". Sadly, though, many will be quick to condem Turkey as a direct result of this as I''m sure the documentary will be spun in such away you won''t fail to be shocked and horrified.
I won''t be watching  >:(
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline theinspector

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 01:20:23 PM »
thanks for that information lantana it is good to hear from someone who has seen first hand what the situation is really like in turkey :) :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 08:30:17 AM »
Well Mercimek, you stated that you would be interested as to what effect the programme had on members of EK, I think you may have your answer, as before when there has been a programme or article re Turkey, the response has been very quick indeed. The programme was on at 21.00hrs on Thursday with a follow up last evening at 20.00hrs, no comments as yet, very unusual. (even Brand & Ros caused more comment & response quicker)

I did watch it on Thursday, personally I found it more about the "Royals" that the orphanage, I was saddened at some of what I saw, but not surprised in the least.  I did intend to watch the follow up last evening but unfortunately fell asleep, just after it started, so cannot comment on what was shown.

I have not been approached by any people who know of my connection to Turkey about the programme, perhaps the opportunity has not as yet arisen but one or two can be counted on for some sort of reaction, especially in my work place.

Perhaps the fact that Sarah Ferguson, who stated that she was not of the Royal Family, but failed to say that her daughters were, was involved & put them off watching, who knows.!!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 08:57:05 AM by DRBD »

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 11:45:16 AM »
I too, was waiting to see what response people would make after the programmes were aired. As peole were very quick to pass judgement in advance.
Personally, I was''nt too impressed with Sarah Ferguson. But its very hard to argue with the actual filmed footage.

Offline coppers1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 02:50:14 PM »
Having seen the programme, I must say that it raises many uncomfortable questions about prioritisation of resources and acceptable treatment of vulnerable kids, especially in respect of feeding and methods of restraint.
Unfortunately, the coverage (being provided by covert cameras), could not show the bigger picture regarding staff commitment and the progress, or otherwise, of the children, but , it has been my experience that the vast majority of people who get involved in the care of these type of youngsters, invest a hell of a lot of time and emotional energy in their endeavours, and I do not doubt that this is the same in Turkey.
However, it is all too easy to "shoot the messenger" in cases like these and it sometimes has to be conceded that their very exposure to a wider public gaze, can be the catalyst for much needed improvement and change.
As a side issue, there have been numerous programmes here in the UK, which have employed similar secret filming techniques, focussing on NHS hospitals, care homes etc.. which have exposed wrongdoing, neglect and even lawbreaking. These have, almost universally, been welcomed by the public and have forced the authorities to look afresh at contentious issues, mostly for the general good.
We should not shy away from the same type of investigations elsewhere in the world and should look at the evidence they provide critically and honestly, even if a few feathers are ruffled and some pride dented!

Dave

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 08:36:28 PM »
I have today discussed this subject with some educated Turkish friends from one of the big cities, they had already heard of the programme. They believe it is good that this has been brought to light, they feel their country has many things such as what this programme brought to light that need showing to the world, they said they are embarrassed but not surprised. They believe it shows the limited resources of the state for such needs as orphans, the elderly & handicapped. The opinion of a few people.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

New bus station

Views: 4791
By: Babadag
Ice Cream