Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Speed checks  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Speed checks
« on: October 17, 2008, 06:56:04 PM »
Travelled from Kalkan to the airport in the early hours of this morning. It was 4am, we had only seen 5 vehicles travelling on the road. After the left turn before Fethyie we were pulled over for speeding (9km/hr over the limit) and given a ticket. The police didn''t know how we could pay it as we were leaving the country, suggesting the post office at the airport (closed at 5am!). We left the money with our car hire company who are going to pay it for us and they gave us a receipt. They opened a drawer full of lira and speeding tickets and said we were the 6th this week and they would pay them all at once and said there seems to be a bit of a purge at the moment.

My husband doesn''t usually drive over the speed limit but due to the empty roads and early hour his speed had just crept up. If you are doing this journey take care.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2515.0

Offline Mister Barnacle

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Speed checks
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 08:41:32 AM »
We got done earlier this year, paid on the spot fine to police for being 7 kph over the limit. My turkish friends tell me that there is supposed to be a 10% allowance to allow for speedo variations but this was not applied - they thought it a bit cheeky!

Anybody else had experience of this?

Offline rat2

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Speed checks
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 12:36:09 PM »
Nobody gets fined for being 7kph over the open-road limit. The limit for cars is 90kph on non-motorway roads without a more restrictive signposted limit (e.g. 50, 70 or 80kph). The police always allow 10% so you will not be fined if you are doing 55, 77, 88 or 99kph respectively. 1kph over this allowance will incur a considerable penalty - anyone doing 9kph over the permitted limit on a 90kph road is actually exceeding the limit by 18kph (i.e. 20%) and will be fined accordingly. Don''t forget though that the 10% allowance is for speedo inaccuracies - if yours under-reads you will have a problem if you use up the allowance deliberately. Fines are on a sliding scale and are no longer paid on the spot - that stopped some time ago - you should be given a ticket and this must be paid at the appropriate office - any speed cop asking for a payment is ''on the make'' and you should insist on a receipt and/or report him.
Pick-up trucks (even with body conversions) have a lower limit of 80 (88) kph. I speak from experience but have not been stopped since I bought a car with cruise control and started using it.
Slightly off-thread, but the police will check and issue fines if you do not have emergency equipment:

• first aid kit
  • high vis jacket
  • warning triangle

r2
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:44:01 PM by rat2 »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
last minute checks

Started by Baggy on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 11:01:02 PM
by AllanChris
xx
Beware breathalyser checks

Started by drpinner on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 02:03:20 PM
by kevincat99
xx
Internet Speed

Started by mark on Living In Kalkan

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 08:15:35 PM
by Cosetta
xx
speed limit ??

Started by kazaroni64 on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 01:53:45 PM
by kevincat99

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal