Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Samira Garden and Samira Hotel  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Archie750

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
  • In the church of my namesake
    • Share Post
Samira Garden and Samira Hotel
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:21:14 PM »
Elaine and I have just returned from 1 week''''s stay at the Samira Gardens, and thought it best to point out problems experienced by ourselves and others over the course of just 7 days. Having spent some time on this forum and elsewhere researching accommodation in Kalkan, we felt confident that our choice of the Samira Garden (formerly the Tekinberk) hotel was a good one. Unfortunately that was not the case, forthe following reasons:

I booked the hotel in June as a result of the favourable reviews that started earlier this year when Tekin (the husband)and Banu (the wife) took over management of the hotel from the previous owners, who had apparently let it fall well below the standard it had become renowned for previously as the Tekinberk.

I emailed the hotel direct from the website, stating very specifically the dates and number of nights required. I was delighted when Banu replied the same day confirming availability. However, even though the website quoted the room at £36 per night, Banu wanted £43, and although it''s not a lot of money I was slightly annoyed at the difference, so in true Turkish style I offered £40, which was accepted. I must say that it was refreshing when Banu told me not to worry about advance payments or deposits, and that I could pay on arrival in GBP.

It''s worth mentioning here that that transfers between Dalaman and Kalkan were booked direct with Travel Republic, who engaged the services of A2B Transfers, who operate out of Dalaman town. Now, A2B were sort of OK, but if you don''t want to wait an hour before actually leaving Dalaman airport, and don''t want stop at what were obviously previously agreed opportunities to persude you to partake of tea and buy honey and turkish delight, then I would suggest you seek alternative travel arrangements. The journey back to the airport 1 week later was even more disturbing, because after wasting time with the tourist stops and a detour to Fetiye to change drivers, the second driver realised that he was by then late, and proceeded to drive at breakneck speed at every opportunity. Now, I ride a motorcycle and am not a stranger to high speed travel, but 12 people in a minibus at high speed through busy streets was slightly unnerving, to put it mildly. Anyway he got us there on time, and alive, so I can''t complain!

I have summarised the problems encountered:
  • 1. Unprofessional, incompetent, and unsympathetic management resulted in 4 cases of double-booked rooms, ourselves included. I got the impression that trying to run 2 hotels and sell private villas has overstretched them, and they are not focused on the needs of their hotel guests. >:(
  • 2. New apartments in front of the hotel block (or partially obscure) what must have previously been one of the Tekinberk''''s biggest attractions.
  • 3. Website needs updating; prices are out of date, also minbar, coffee and tea making facilities were not provided as stated in the website information.
  • 4. Poor hot water supply.
  • 5. Poor room maintenance; our room 202 suffered noisy A/C, broken shower fixture and toilet roll holder, cracked and leaking jacuzzi, poorly fitted venetian blind and a balcony door that jammed when it got hot.

I should point out that we had no problem with the hotel staff. In fact Nara, Tony, Fezzi and young Ramazan all worked hard to make our stay enjoyable and keep the place clean and tidy, as well as organising the meals, running the bar and keeping us all entertained. If only I could say the same about Banu and Tekkin.

I will gladly add more detail if requested.

Nick Andrews.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2404.0
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 07:04:52 PM by Archie750 »

Offline kalkan kitty

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: Samira Garden and Samira Hotel
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »
That''s a bit of a shame as i''ve booked a week from 13 October. Ive been visiting Kalkan for 10 years but have never stayed at the Tekinberk (Samira Gardens) before. Mind u regarding the tea making facilities and minibar, i''ve never had that in the more basic hotels in Kalkan, so that doesnt unduly worry me as i''m used to 2 star or less.  The poor hot water supply does worry me, but then i''ve also had that problem at the Samira Hotel last October, hence trying another hotel this October! Hopefully I won''t need the a/c in October, so that should keep the noise down.  I hope it hasn''t put you off Kalkan and I did get a very good price for the week so hopefully it will be ok. Im just hoping i will get there before Onur Air or my small holiday company goes belly up.  I''m keeping my finges crossed. ::)

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 06:03:55 PM »
I''ve just returned from my second visit to the Samira Garden.  I had no such problems with my room - the hot water was often tepid first thing in the morning but I think this is what tends to happen with solar heating.  I still think that this is one of the best located and pleasantly presented hotels with lovely staff and I would stay there again.  However, I think the welcome and the service from the owners wasn''t quite as warm and friendly this time as it was earlier in the season...

Offline samira garden

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 03:23:26 PM »
Dear Nick,

Thank you very much for your reviews about the samira gardens..But there is
a mistake in there that i didnt do a double book at the hotell..As i showed
the mail that you sent it to me you booked from 06th of september to 12 th
of september..if you ask and show theis e mail to any travel agency or
hotels they do understand the same thing and book the room for 6 nights!!!!!
double book means that i book the room at the same time to two of the
guests!!!! but there was a problem on your last night!!!! just because of
your mistake!!! it is very easy to complain the hotel isn''t it!!! you never
think that you can make a mistake!!!

Why didnt you tell us a problem in you bathroom??? do you know how many
people are coming and stay at the same room all season??? of course there
will be a problem in the room because eberybody doesnt pay an attention to
the rules and they do use the things very good at the rooms..every year
before the season we changed many things and fixed or change but when the
guess use them bad it can be a problem later on..Why didn''t you tell us that
you have  aproblem at the bathroom??? we could fix them as soon as
possible!!! But you choice that complain the hotel..

Yes i agrre that we have to update the hotel web site i am very soory about
this ,next year we will have a new web site..

I have to say that we are all very upset about your e mail..I wish you could
tell me ..Because you wrote the wrong things to the enjoy kalkan and make
the guests confuse about the hotel.. hope you and your wife is happy now and
you feel much better!!!! it was our first year for samira gardens and next
year we will be much better!!! eveyyear everybody improve theirselves !!!!

Nevermind we are still very happy and working hard and welcome our guests...   ;)

Regards

Banu&Tekin

Offline lilly

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:29:05 PM »
Hi, I would like to offer Banu and Tekin my support. I know that they have tried very hard to keep their guests happy and get the new hotel off to a good start in the 1st year as the Samira Gardens. It is a difficult job running a business and with so many struggling to get established it can''t be easy. I believe they will do everything they can to overcome any problems. Having said that I also know how hard people work to afford their holidays each year and how disappointing it is if the break does not live up to their expectations.  

Offline Archie750

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • In the church of my namesake
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 09:55:51 PM »
Dear Nick,

Thank you very much for your reviews about the samira gardens..But there is
a mistake in there that i didnt do a double book at the hotell..As i showed
the mail that you sent it to me you booked from 06th of september to 12 th
of september..if you ask and show theis e mail to any travel agency or
hotels they do understand the same thing and book the room for 6 nights!!!!!
double book means that i book the room at the same time to two of the
guests!!!! but there was a problem on your last night!!!! just because of
your mistake!!! it is very easy to complain the hotel isn''''t it!!! you never
think that you can make a mistake!!!

Why didnt you tell us a problem in you bathroom??? etc...etc.....

This is the reply that I emailed back to Banu:

Banu,

You know very well that I booked the room for 7 nights from the 6th to the 12th, and I have attached your confirmation to prove this. (In this post it is actually tagged onto the bottom - Nick).

Elaine and I were made to move to an inferior hotel room (at The Nur) for our last night and day (Elaine''s birthday) when we had planned to have a champagne breakfast on your balcony. All that was ruined, and yet Tekin offered no compensation to us when I asked for it.

You also know very well that we were not the only guests with room problems that week. Jeff & Diane arrived at Samira Gardens a few days before us only to find their rooms occupied. They had to spend 2 weeks in an apartment next to the hotel. We even met another couple at the Nur who had you had double-booked rooms at Samira Gardens.

I hope that you and Tekin do better, because the Samira Gardens is a beautiful hotel, it just needs good management. Sadly, we will not be coming back.

One last suggestion: change the name back to the Tekinberk, there are too many Samiras and the bus drivers get very confused.

This is my last post on the matter. I''ll let others form their own opinions.

Nick.

Confirmation email from Banu on August 21st 2008:

Merhaba Nick,

Thank you very much for your  email.. we will be so happy to see you in our
hotel..

Yes i booked you room 202 for 7 nights..

We are all looking forward to hearing from you soon..

Regards

Banu

Offline xJessx

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 11:02:11 AM »
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Samira Gardens. I hope you still had a lovely time in Kalkan.

But to people who have booked for future stays, don''t let one negative review put you off. There are many positive reviews regarding the place.

I for one had a very enjoyable stay there earlier this year. And my friend would confirm what a kind, relaxing hotel the Samira Garden is. They went out of their way to help without being a nuisance. The room was large and very clean.

Offline JACQUIVIVA

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 12:34:48 PM »
I don''t think the EK site should be used to air grievances about hotels or restaurants, that''s why we have sites such as trip adviser.

I''ve had problems with a hotel but i have not put it on this site, i think a general review here is better and should not be a full moan.

If you put this sort of thing in detail here you are open to peoples views warts and all.

Can''t we find better topics to talk about.

Sorry if grammer is not correct but its not my strong point am afraid.

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 10:03:06 PM »
When I first came onto this site it was for advice on so many things, and many people want to check out hotels / apartments. Who are we to say one site is for one subject and restrict our conversations. People should be able to say if they like something or not. I would encourage experiances with constructive comments. I seem to feel a deja vu moment coming on, but I do get frustrated by folks trying to stop any form of negative comment.

BJ
Carpe diem

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Samira Garden/Tekinberk Hotel

Started by malcolm on Accommodation and Hotels

2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 09:18:07 AM
by malcolm
xx
Is there a difference between the Samira Hotel and Samira Deluxe

Started by lblizard on Accommodation and Hotels

7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2009, 08:40:01 PM
by Chucky
xx
SAMIRA GARDEN

Started by PACHSU on Accommodation and Hotels

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 09:19:31 PM
by cheshirecat
xx
Directions to Samira Garden/Tekinberk

Started by Si on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 08:17:25 PM
by Reygirl

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal