Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Shuttle buses  (Read 5502 times)

Offline kalcamp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Shuttle buses
« on: July 21, 2008, 04:47:06 PM »
Hi to averyone on the forum,
   Does anyone know if the shuttle buses are running from the hotels now.
  I read that the taxi fares in Kalkan are the highest in all of Turkey.
   Having read on here that a taxi can cost as much as 18lira for a journey back to a hotel,

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2071.0

Offline Chris18648

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: Shuttle buses
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 05:34:51 PM »
Hi ,I stay at Kulube,and yes,they run a shuttle bus three times daily into Kalkan,but not back.There is no collection at all.My Son and I found that the most expensive part of our holiday this year,travelling back by taxi.He is certainly young and fit enough to walk back,but not poor old Mum I''m afraid.If we travelled back after midnight,the most we payed on two occasions was 18ytl.
Before midnight it was 12,13,or14 ytl.
I know it is a fair way,but I struggled with that a bit ......... seemed just a bit unFAIR to me. :-X I know whilst we were there in June,the Harpy Hotel were commencing evening shuttles back to the Hotel,but I don''t know if it happened.

Offline newballs

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »
Since the business involving taxi drivers on Saturday the hotel shuttle buses have been stopped
 It might be worth just checking with individual hotels to see if they are
 Ithink the supermarkets have also stopped shuttles for their customers as well

Offline Chris18648

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:23:29 PM »
That is very sad ??? ,especially for the Hotels further out of town. That will incur costs for their Guests who will probably choose to literally "vote with their feet " and stay within walking distance. >:(  My Son has worked out our taxi costs for our holiday...one night we stayed at the Hotel to watch Football...... for our holiday it was 184ytl. That is without tips.
I pray that this decision will be reversed. >:(

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 08:17:55 PM »
Apparently there are some 57 taxis based in Kalkan which seems rather a lot and they will never all be occupied at the same time - so the problem seems to be one of over supply
I think that the taxi issue is the same as the restaurant''s problems who seem to complain about being under occupied - but again if there were less for the same number of customers - they would have a higher useage - but like the taxis the answer seems to be to increase prices rather than reduce them.
This will become a vicious circle as people who own or holiday in rented villas will eat at home as they will not be able to afford the taxis to go to eat in the restaurants which will affect everybody''s businesses.
Anyone know the answer ??

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 09:47:37 PM »
Don''t know if I make a faux pas but I''ve read, in several places, that you don''t need to pay taxi drivers a tip. I only tip for the airport shuttle , never around town, and the drivers don''t seem to mind. They don''t seem to be expecting a tip, so I don''t.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline Chris18648

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 10:31:35 PM »
 ::) In that case,my taxi drivers have been lucky.,or I have been silly.I have to admit that I have always tipped taxi drivers,all over Turkey. :-X and in England.I will certainly revue the situation next time I go on holiday. ;)

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:57:35 PM »
Have noticed that supermarkets such as Tesko and Yali have their own taxis outside rather than their own vehicles - taxi driver pressure?

Offline kalkangrover

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 07:05:48 AM »
I could rant about the taxi situation - they did something very similar last year with equal disruption. But, until the number of taxies and fares are reduced, they are going to continue to act up.

What I would like to add to the discussion is does anyone else see a gap in the market here, so to speak? For years, I thought Kalkan needed a local dolmus service to run out to Kalamar, and along the roads in Kiziltas and Kisla. Surely this would be a better alternative to several problems: expensive taxies, the parking problem in Kalkan, shuttle service interruptions. They could run up to a certain time of night, after which the taxies could take over for the late-nighters.

Kas has such a service so I''ve always wondered why it hasn''t happened in Kalkan - unless that too is the result of taxi bullying.

And I don''t believe Kalkan taxi drivers should be tipped, given the outrageous fares they charge.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 07:22:31 AM »
Reading this thread it seems obvious that no-one bothers to 1) haggle before getting into a taxi, & 2) tell the driver that he is a robber and the last taxi you had for the same journey was cheaper. If he insists on overcharging tell him that you will not use his taxi again.
Most, if not all, of the drivers know exactly where all the regular Kalkan villa owners live and obviously how far the hotels are. So, within a lira they will be able to quote a price for the trip.
You''ve got a tongue, use it. Grrr.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Chris18648

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 03:32:11 PM »
Yes,I have a tongue.Sometimes a woman alone can feel intimidated ,and some of the taxi drivers have proven themselves to be intimidating.

Offline chris coomber

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 08:28:40 PM »
When I first visited Kalkan 12 years ago there were issues regarding the taxis but then, it was arguments between the taxi drivers themselves as to thye fare structure. Is there any posibility that a Turrkish speaking Brit domiciled in Kalkan could comunicate how poorly their attitude is viewed by the majority of tourists.

T

Offline chris coomber

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 08:41:49 PM »
My apolgies for the previous premature sending! Everybody has a right to earn a living, but forcing the shutle bus to close is not condusive to goodwill.

As a family who has vsiited Kalkan before this issue whilst annually annoying and expensive as we are staying out of town at the Samira De Luxe Apatments would not stop us from coming as we have many frriends in Kalkan.

The taxi problem coupled with the "noise from the new road" and the reported water shortages may well put off many prospective tourists.

Britain is currently facing a major recession and people will be choosing their holiday far more carefully,
I for one I''m seriously hacked off that I face £200 in taxi fares through what is quite simply greed on the part of the taxi drivers who want all the business regardless of the impact on tourism and on trade in Klakan itself.

There attitude will hit the restaurants in  Kalkan as people staying on the outskirts of town will juggle their budgets and "eat in" locally, or at least less frquently in town.

Will any common sense prevail?

Offline Chris18648

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 09:00:24 AM »
My feelings entirely Chris.I have stayed in Kalkan many times and the best  of those times have been spent at the Kulube.I have seen it described as tired,expensive etc. on a few posts, but it is my little bit of Heaven.I love it,and am comfortable there with Hubby,on my own,or with adult Sons.
I am now having to rethink my place to stay because I just can''t afford to pay the increased Taxi prices.Haggling with a taxi driver isn''t an option.Kalkan officials should be working with the Hotels to achieve a situation where holiday makers have a choice...taxi fair ,or shuttle bus ....... That way people will return to the places where they want to stay IN THE AREA OF Turkey THAT THEY WANT TO BE.
It is my feeling that even Hotel management is being intimitated,but I may be very wrong.No Hotel is going to put their guests ,or their staff at risk.
A sad situation. :-X

Offline chris coomber

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 06:46:44 PM »
I wonder if anybody involved has suggested a compromise, as in a reduced shuttle service morning and late afternnon, leaving all the evening work for the taxis that would appear sensible.

The situation is absurd if you work on the basis that guests from outside Kalkan will "walk down" but need
a taxi up twice, this is going to work out between £200 to £250 a fortnight PRO RATA IT MIGHT BE CHEAPER TO HIRE A CAR!!!!

Offline The Reds

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 08:19:31 PM »
Have to agree with everyone. Don`t tip taxi drivers because its obvious there making a huge mark up on the fare. To all women and visitors don`t be afraid to haggle, my wife had a right go at one driver who tried to charge her 28 YTL one way. ( she called him a thief and threw 20 YTL at him!, the journey normally costs 15 YTL)
There is a dolmus service but it does not go down Kalamar. But its a god send for us in Akbel.

I do not use taxi`s period, will walk to bus terminal and catch the coach, or get dolmus next to taxi rank. I think most people are doing this know because theres a right load of drivers just hanging around all ranks just twiddling their thumbs.

I`m sure market forces will eventually solve this problem, don`t use them and there prices will come down accordingly to a reasonable level.

Jav

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 08:58:57 PM »
I think arguing about the taxi fares is a lost cause. The mayor clearly does not have the will to prevent them operating as a cartel (sorry cooperative) and like all cartels they will overcharge their customers and protect "their business" by preventing competition (and to make sure they don''t have to worry about market forces)

Last year they managed, by the same tactics, to stop the supermarkets giving people a lift back with their shopping and shuttle buses picking up after midnight. Now having established the principle that it is their business, as you would expect, they are looking to further reduce services operated by the hotels or restaurants and to stop Adda and others undercutting them on airport transfers.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 09:02:36 PM by alantj »

Offline chris coomber

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 09:37:43 AM »
Points well made ,but I dont believe that anybody is arguing, merely stating their opposition to the taxi drivers attitude. As this is the main Kalkan Forum there is a possibility that peoples disatisfaction with the current situation may filter through to the Mayors Office

There is always a point to debate and because an issue is unlikely to change, this shouldnt prevent people frrom expressing their view.

I booked a holiday at an apartment which clearly shows a Shuttle Bus Service in existence, so please dont expect me to be happy to find out that I now face £200 in taxi fares and to add insult to injury, it is apparent that some taxi drivers are simply charging what they can get away with.

As a family we are fit so at the end of the day instead of getting a taxi up we will walk up, so the taxi drivers have lost this fare. We will only use a taxi at night.

However a some people may not be as fortunate and may be pregnant, have young children who cant walk as far or have difficulty in walking.

Good job the Suffragettes saw a point to arguing!!!!! (Tongue in cheek only joking)

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 02:32:58 PM »
Chris

sorry if my use of the word arguing came across as a put down to other contributers, it wasn''t meant to. It aimed to convey a sense of resignation about the situation.

Alan

Offline chris coomber

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 07:20:17 PM »
Alan no offence taken, emails are always difficult when you are trying to convey the right tone.
Believe me I''ve been guilty many times. Like you I''m "resigned" but still hacked off

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
Dolmus buses

Started by jimmo on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 12:02:13 AM
by BeeKay
xx
Shuttle Bus

Started by Mick the Loiner on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 12:27:38 PM
by samson
xx
Shuttle bus to Kalamar

Started by freeat on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 11:37:28 AM
by felicity
xx
Shuttle Direct

Started by suzyq1 on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 08:44:56 PM
by Christina

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

my little friend!

Views: 2967
By: kaz1865
kaputas