Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Villa burgled - 23 June 2008  (Read 16776 times)

Offline routemaster

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Villa burgled - 23 June 2008
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2008, 01:43:57 PM »
DB
Where is the villa you had?

Eniste
Vigilante groups. Are we talking groups of English roaming the streets armed with baseball bats?

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2008, 03:54:09 PM »
In response to Lantana''s sensible earlier post, and as an owner who rents out an apartment on a regular basis, it is sometimes easy to overlook the value of having someone on hand to just "hold hands" with guests. In that respect, we are very lucky in having an on-site managing agent - he and/or his staff are around 24/7 to deal with any emergencies and just keep an eye on the place.  On three occasions last year he was invaluable:

1. One of our paying guests had her sister staying with her and developed a toothache. Baris made an appointment for her to see a dentist and drove her to the appointment, waited for her and brought her back to the apartment. One very grateful guest!
2. My mother in law somehow managed to leave her purse at Dalaman airport on her way to see us... got to the apartment with all her luggage but no purse. Baris got straight on the phone to the airport, spent about an hour talking to all the security guys before finally managing to track it down to the lost property office. Luckily it had been handed in and we eventually retrieved it but I''''m sure it would have been lost were it not for Baris''s prompt action.
3. During the big storm last autumn, (we had paying guests in the apartment at the time) the mud slide came right down the hill and into our swimming pool. Baris and his staff were on hand right away to drain the pool, clean up the pool and surrounds and replace the filter and then replace the water. In the meantime he let our guests use his hotel pool, which was unaffected by the mud. He then added a couple of courses of bricks to the back wall so it wouldn''''t happen again - and he didn''''t ask us to pay any extra for any of this extra effort. we dodn''''t even know anything about it till the guests returned to the Uk and said how marvellous he was!

That''s the value of having someone on hand and on your side. Obviously we pay him, as our managing agent, but I think that these examples show that he and some of the local people really are prepared to go beyond the call of duty, as a matter of course, because they actually CARE about Kalkan''''s reputation and the wellbeing of their visitors.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 03:56:37 PM by MartynE »

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2008, 04:31:29 PM »
I agree, its always nice to have "someone to speak to" in a time of need.

Perhaps this thread may have run its course now?

Offline Kalamar Bay

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2008, 04:51:52 PM »
Good point well made E.K

Offline routemaster

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2008, 05:34:21 PM »
If EK says it has, then it clearly has. I would still like to know where DB''s villa is.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2008, 08:05:28 PM »
I agree, its always nice to have "someone to speak to" in a time of need.

Perhaps this thread may have run its course now?

I am going to be very cynical here - is that because no ill can be spoken of Kalkan?

I know it seems like dream land when we are there but it is a real place & bad things can happen there too.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2008, 09:03:18 PM »
Hi Sally,

No not at all, any topic is more than welcome on EK and Id like to think EK shows Kalkan "warts n all" - eg the taxi debate, the new road debate, the crime debate etc etc etc

However, as with anything sometimes you can have too much of a good thing and sometimes I think topics just self perpetuate with little extra benefit.

Jon :)

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2008, 06:28:19 AM »
Mercimek,

I shall answer this in the excursion FAQ''''s more fully in order to keep this thread on topic :) however all EnjoyKalkan excursions include full insurance by Tursab lıcence number 2497

Cheers
Jon

Sorry to add to this thread but I am clearly being dim as can''t see this in the FAQ''s. I think this Tursab licence is actually Adda''s (?) I was actually referring to Enjoy Kalkan''s cover. Thanks

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2008, 11:03:06 AM »
Mercimek,

Please feel free to PM or email me if you have concerns. The Tursab number is that of AddaTours which fully covers EnjoyKalkan - I dont feel this thread is the place for me to be discussing EKs behind the scenes contracts and agreements.  :)

Cheers

Jon

Offline marking

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2008, 08:49:10 PM »
Unfortunately Cosetta, once again we don''''t know who commits these terrible crimes, if we did presumably they would be behind bars,not you, nor anyone knows for sure that it''s not the locals. The locals may tell you this but then they don''t know either and of course they''d love you to believe it''s organised gangs coming here from Kurdland or wherever and it may well be, who knows? Certainly not you, me or the locals. It could be anyone.
  Of course the worrying thing is precisely this and it''s not enough to say don''t talk about your trips or days out in restaurants, how clever are these thieves? And what kind of network is there, they do pretty well out of it. They know people are on holiday and their guards are down, they don''t expect to be robbed and that''s exactly when it happens.
   My advice would be to not bring much with you. Just a couple of bank cards, credit cards are totally unnecessary] which you keep on you at all times and withdraw small amounts of money as and when you need it, leave your jewelry at home, in England,passports, camcorders and mobile phones can be kept with you wherever you go in a handbag.
  This is a very big problem for anyone coming on holiday here because it might just happen to you. The thieves are still at large so don''t think this is a one off.
As for a support network? there is very much more that the British as a community can do, even if it''s just a cup of tea and a sympathetic ear. There are people here who speak Turkish and English and can do an enormous amount to comfort those in times of distress,

My commiserations go to anyone who has found themselves in a similar situation to DB. It must be a nitemare

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:38:11 AM by marking »

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2008, 09:54:59 PM »
From the Fethiye Times about burglars ... worth reading and taking note:

http://www.fethiyetimes.org.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1445&Itemid=112
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2008, 10:16:30 PM »
Yes Carole, I have just read this article. There is also some good advice for contacting the Police
Joan

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2008, 06:23:17 PM »
Just an up date from Lea in Kalkan that maybe of interest to you all.
"By the way 4 people have been arrested in connection with the spate of burglaries, the Jandarme Commandant told my husband. I of course cannot say who but they are out of towners, hopefully this will now stop this may be of interest to your readers.

Lea"

Offline marking

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2008, 08:56:06 PM »
Well that is good news. But a spate of burglaries? How come we only heard about the one.
 How many have there been? 

Offline The Reds

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2008, 01:54:05 PM »
This is the problem, you just are don`t know. I guess ignorance is a kind of blessing, out of sight out of mind. I am aware of another burglary approx. 3 weeks ago.
Jav

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2008, 09:38:20 AM »
If you get burgled I wouldn''t worry about it too much, when I got burgled in Scotland I told the police and they just gave me a crime number which I gave to the insurance company and they paid me to have everything replaced. I''m sure there''s a similar system here.
 I''m sure villa owners have made proper provision with holiday let insurance to protect you if you are robbed on holiday
Save Kisiltas- ban the D400

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2008, 07:31:30 AM »
I wouldn''t make assumptions about being covered for theft by the villa owners insurance. To my knowledge there is no ''system'' here that includes theft cover and you are likely to need to rely on your holiday insurance.

Offline jackshudds

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2008, 08:53:23 AM »
I was in Kalkan last weekend,and our neighbours were in bed when they had intruders in their villa at 4.30 in the morning.They had fortunately locked their room.The intruders were in the villa for1 hour , which must have been extremely scary.Credit cards and money were taken. I always lock interior doors at night. I know this thread has run it''s course , but this is all about vigilance from all angles as it is anywhere in the world.In terms of insurance, holiday makers should always cover themselves for Kalkan , just as they would anywhere else in the world.Kalkan is beautiful and idyllic, but it is not exempt from opportunists.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Great Holiday June 2008

Started by Slats on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 07:23:21 AM
by felicity
xx
villa to sleep 6/7 required 20th June or 2 weeks

Started by kalkankiki on Accommodation and Hotels

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 09:09:04 PM
by indigo
xx
URGENT: BABY FRIENDLY HOTEL/VILLA NEEDED FROM 23RD TO 26TH JUNE

Started by Browncoffee on Accommodation and Hotels

0 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 07:08:59 PM
by Browncoffee
xx
Burgled in Kalkan

Started by paulaf on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 07:37:39 PM
by kal1

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Daphn''es

Views: 4361
By: misty
Kalkan Shopping