Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: croissants/breakfast pastries/bread ?  (Read 2377 times)

Offline glynwills

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
croissants/breakfast pastries/bread ?
« on: June 07, 2008, 05:04:07 PM »
Hello
We''re visiting Kalkan for the first time in July.
A real joy on our relaxing holidays are getting up early and going to the bakers shops or similar to buy goodies for breakfast.
What can we expect to find ? Are their croissants and other yeasted pastries ? What style of bread do they sell generally ? Other breakfast style cakes or similar to look out for ?
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks Glyn  ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1735.0

Offline hel66

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
Re: croissants/breakfast pastries/bread ?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:18:58 PM »
the cakes are nothing to write home about, they certainly can''t make cakes like the French or Germans or even Greggs for that matter. The bread''s ok if you dip it oil but it doesn''y toast very well, Try the imaginative Turkish breakfast of tomatoes cheese olives with cucumber sometimes an egg, boiled fried or omletted and bread they also eat honey or jam with it, but I find this spoils the taste of the tomato and cucumber.
Save Kisiltas- ban the D400

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »
Help is at hand- the NUR patisserie on the road up to the market always has a good selection as does the one on the Kalamar road
If you go to the bakers in Akbel they also produce croissants - but you may need to order  :P

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 09:47:40 PM »
Hi
Yes! The Nur is lovely, and does a nice in house continental style breakfast!
Em
Em

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 06:59:48 AM »
There are several places which sell very good breakfast (or all day) Turkish pastries. You can either eat in with a coffee or take away. As others have mentioned, the Nur pastanesi, which is on the road which leads up to the petrol station, above the Is Bank,  has a good selection.  There are soft dough pastries shaped like a small pasty filled with soft white cheese, olive paste or other, sweet fillings (rather like a French brioche) and they cost less than a lira each. My favourite at Nur is a light and soft pastry the shape and size of a tea plate covered with olives, slices of turkish sausage, sun dried tomato and sesame, but you have to get there early for those, they have usually sold out by 09.30. The traditional breakfast snack here is a simit, a bread type pastry, in size and shape like a very large polo mint, crispy and chewy, covered in sesame seeds.  There are macaroons, almond cakes and a wide range of sweet and savoury biscuits.

There is another  very good pastry shop on the Kalamar Road, almost next door to Alternatif Atlantis, here you can order coffee, fresh juices etc and sample their pastries and relax on their very comfortable sofas.

If you want to people watch and eat your breakfast pastries, go to the Merkez cafe in the centre of the village on the main street (for those without Turkish, merkez means centre) they have a good range as well.

The local bread comes in a variety of types, soft white bread with a crispy crust larger than a French loaf but same style, brown bread, brown sliced bread, baked locally and sold in a packet, very good for toast and sandwiches and again a personal favourite, bazlama, which is flat bread baked on a griddle. It is about the size of a tea plate, soft and filled with holes, it looks like an oversized crumpet. It sells in all the local supermarkets and comes in packets of two.

So far from there being nothing to write home about (unless of course you have a spectacular failure of imagination) there is a wide and exciting choice, you just need to be prepared to look and try, part of the joy of discovering the new when on holiday.

Lantana

Offline glynwills

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 05:44:43 AM »
Thanks all so much for your helpful replies, especially Lantana, very long post, much appreciated, really looking forward to discovering all of these. Thank you again :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bread and More

Started by kim21 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

20 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 11:44:20 AM
by clarborough
xx
Bread n More

Started by Wendy on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

9 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 08:23:09 PM
by doug46b
xx
Bread and More

Started by janeb on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2015, 02:49:20 PM
by janeb
xx
Bread and Water

Started by kalkanbelle on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 12:29:20 AM
by kalkanbelle

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal