Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: GREECE FOR THE DAY  (Read 2748 times)

Offline HEATH

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
GREECE FOR THE DAY
« on: June 07, 2008, 04:59:45 PM »
        Going to Kalkan in July and thinking about going to Maze? for the day.Not sure on ferry times and if daily.Please can anyone tell me is it worth the visit?.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1733.0

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
Re: GREECE FOR THE DAY
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 05:34:58 PM »
I think you would find it very worthwhile. The boats to Meis leave from Kas harbour every morning. If you are at the harbour by 09.15, you can go to the central booking point - which is a table with a large sign above it saying ''trips to Meis'', hand over your passport and the rest is taken care of for you. The boats depart about 10.00 and the journey takes 25 - 30 minutes. The return boat usually leaves about three.

You will need Euros and it is better to take them with you as the cashpoint at the  bank on Meis is rather unreliable.

Meis is completely unspoilt and not really at all developed. It has a dozen or so small bars and cafes and about the same number of restaurants mostly situated along the harbour.  There is an interesting small museum, which gives a very detailed account of the history of the island,  a few shops, some well maintained churches and picturesque winding back streets, with whitewashed cobbles and tiny houses with amazing displays of flowers.

Many of the original houses which for years had been slowly crumbling to ruins are now being lovingly and carefully restored in the original style (there are no new concrete villas here) After the second world war, the majority of the Greeks living in Meis emigrated to Australia. Now the grandchildren of those early emigrants are pouring money into restoring their ancestral homes. The pre-dominant accent you will hear is Australian.

We go about three times a year for the pleasure of a glimpse of a very different way of life and the most succulent pork chops imaginable, served in huge portions, which satisfy our pork cravings for months afterwards.

There is also a very well priced duty free shop where you can stop up on wine, spirits, cigarettes, perfume and large bars of cadbury''s chocolate.

I would recommend a visit, although it is small, there is more than enough to see and do for the shortish time you will be there. When we went about three weeks ago, the cost of the return journey was 30 lira.

Lantana

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 05:46:04 PM »
Thanks for that Lantana....... we have just booked for 4 of us to go in a couple of weeks so very glad someone asked the question!

We have decided to also stay in Kas that night to experience the restaurant and bar scene there... Ive heard its very different to Kalkan.

Just a couple of Meis questions....... I''m guessing passport are required but no visa as its EU... I don''t have any Euros so I''m guessing its best to get some from the UK first? How much would you suggest roughly based on the cost of a meal / snack etc

Cheers
Jon

Offline HEATH

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 06:06:43 PM »
Hi Lantana

Thank you so much for your very interesting post.We have decided this is a must visit when we go in July.It sounds such a wonderful place.
I would have never have given a second thought to take euro;s so thanks for that.

Really looking forward to our visit
thanks again :D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 07:15:41 PM »
Hi Jon the cash points in Kalkan give you the option of taking out cash in euros (well they did last year) so you could withdraw your euros in Kalkan.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 07:37:55 PM »
Thanks ItsTime - your right they do, I remember now looking at that option thinking to myself whats the point of that!! Thought it was like going to a cash point in the UK and getting offered groats!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 07:52:31 PM »
Bad news though  :(
There is a new  customs man in Kas who seems to have rewritten the previous rules.
Now you are allowed only one bottle of spirits [used to be two or even three] one carton of cigarettes and no pork products and he actually checks as you come off the boat.
Maybe when he gets into the "swing of things" it may change - Insallah  ;)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 08:02:46 PM »
lol Jon do you know the current exchange rates for groats? might be a better rate than good old sterling :D

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 07:20:12 AM »
Hi Jon
 We would expect to pay about £15 per head for lunch ( 2 courses and wine) and then probably spend about another £25 in total in the local delicatessen on goodies which we can''t get in Kalkan but of course that would not apply to most day trippers if they are on holiday rather than living here.

If you took the equivalent of £20 per head in euros, you should be fine. We have also discovered that at least one of the restaurants is happy to accept pounds.

No visa required but you do have to give up your passport for the duration of the trip. Don''t worry, this is quite normal and it is returned once you return to Turkey. I mention this because a couple going when we did refused to give up their passports (even though they are held by Turkish customs) so could not make the trip.

Enjoy your visit.

Lantana

Offline Mercimek

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »
There is a cash point and a bank on the island too, however beware as the bank doesn''t open on Greek bank holidays, weekends or if there is a strike (which happens alot in Greece).

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal