Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Just returned - my favourite restaurants  (Read 5782 times)

Offline LozJay

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
Just returned - my favourite restaurants
« on: May 19, 2008, 02:15:51 PM »
Having just returned from Kalkan I thought I would share my views on the restaurants! 

On our first night we thought we would try Doy Doy as I had read a lot of good reviews on this forum.  We weren''t disappointed!  The steaks were cooked to perfection, the börek were lovely, very nice crepes, complimentary amaretto and fantastic service from our waiter Sinna.  Cute puppy too!

Then we tried Ibo (I was intrigued by the toilet reviews) which was also very nice - the lamb stewpot was beautiful, service very friendly and the toilets really are fabulous!  We had a lovely balcony table with wonderful views.  The fish was cooked to perfection and we received a complimentary plate of fruit at the end of our meal.

We then went to Trio........ wow!  The food was delicious and presented so beautifully.  The restaurant location is lovely too, right by the harbour.  The service was very friendly from Mürat and Ali.  They gave us complimentary cocktails and even a free cap and t-shirt when we went back there for lunch!  We will definitely go there again.

The food in the Sofra was also very nice, as was the view.  We received complimentary Turkish coffee which was very nice!  The atmosphere was great too.

We booked Gironda for our last night as people had said that it was a special place.  The service in there was also very good (the waiter put a pashmina round my shoulders when I was cold) and the food was nice, a little on the expensive side and no complimentary drinks or anything, but the beautiful garden quadrangle and the lovely views made it worthwhile.

The Merkez café was great - it was always really busy so you could tell it was good.  The food was fab and very cheap.  It''s a shame they don''t have bigger premises as I''m sure they would fill them with customers.

The food at the Samira Garden where we stayed (formally the Tekinberk) was also very nice and extremely reasonable.  You don''t have to be a guest there to eat there.  They have Turkish evenings on Saturdays and BBQs too.  The staff are very friendly.

The Korsan is also a great restaurant, though we didn''t get round to trying the fish terrace as we had hoped to do (sorry Claire - will definitely come back in September!)  Billy is a great guy, very friendly and will help you with anything.  There''s a guy opposite the Korsan who makes ice cream, which is scrumptious and only 1YTL.

Café del Mar is a great little place to have coffee after your evening meal, although any of the restaurants you have visited will always welcome you back for a coffee.

There were loads more that we wanted to try, but a week just isn''t long enough!  We plan to return in September........

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1577.0

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Just returned - my favourite restaurants
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 05:24:48 PM »
Yes a really good post. Glad you enjoyed your time in Kalkan. We have been going to Kalkan for 10 years and I still haven''t tried all the restaurants but Trio and Doy Doy will definitely be on the list for this year.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 05:39:44 PM »
Yeah Great review - have been to most of your''s - except Gironda....  Glad you like the IBO''s toilets...I think they are just fab...and the food too..  :D
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 05:42:03 PM »
Glad you had a nice time, you are certainly spoilt for choice !! where is the Merkez Cafe ????

J

Offline sak46

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 05:44:14 PM »
Hello

Thanks for taking the time to write your review, sounds like you had a lovely time

We go in three weeks cant wait.
Sara :)

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 05:53:57 PM »
Hi Misty - Merkez cafe is on the main drag through - so from Moonlight bar - take right hand fork - running parallel to the top of the town - NOT the steephill down - as though you were headed for IBO and Gironda restaurant and Merkez is the first bar you come to on your left with Olive Garden restaurant over the top - you can''t miss it!!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 06:02:29 PM »
Hi Felicity

I know where you mean now they have a sad looking greeter ???

J

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:07:39 PM »
Misty, I think the "sad looking greeter" was for the restaurant opposite Merkez...we didn''t eat there and I don''t know what it was called??? Merkez has lots of tables outside and if you were sitting there that guy was opposite but slighty to the right?? can anyone help?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 06:11:25 PM »
Do you mean the Arena or the Kosk restaurant on the right....i can''t think of any ''sad looking greeter''...???   ??? :o

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
Think it may have been Arena....we used to watch the guy whilst we sat in Merkez and I know what Misty means...there was an air of sadness about him. We almost wanted to eat to see if it made him smile...but I had a recommended list I wasn''t about to go "off piste" anytime soon  ;D

Offline clooneyrooney

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 07:58:58 PM »
Do you mean the "greeter/ pusher" at the Arena this year? I''ve heard that Can Akkurt is back at Arena this year after being at Al Fresco last year.
If you do mean Can then he''ll be looking happier next week when my children have cheered him up!!! They "love" Can and cant wait to see him again!

Offline yoyo

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 08:11:27 PM »
There are 3 "opposite" the Merkez.  The Arena, then it''s the little clothes shop, the Ozalp is next and then the Kosk is down the steps. Though as I haven''t been yet this year, I don''t know which one has the "sad geezer" outside.  Whoever it is hope he cheers up before I get there in September  :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 12:04:32 AM »
I was talking about the sad meeter greeter outside Arena last year - haven''t been lucky enough to get to Kalkan yet.. :(

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 07:30:59 PM »
Hi Clooneyrooney,
I thought Can was a part owner in Al Fresco, have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Offline Hilary

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 10:40:28 PM »
restaurants all sound brilliant. counting down the days till August

Offline clooneyrooney

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 10:40:16 AM »
Lorretta,

Can was at Al Fresco last year but since my posting earlier this week I have now heard he is at Breeze this year. I am slightly confused but only have 4 more sleeps until I''m next in Kalkan so I''m sure Cans whereabouts will be become clear!!!

Offline Alfresco

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 05:42:51 PM »
For those of you that are confused about Can''s whereabouts I can confirm that he is working at Breeze this year.  Had a great meal there in April and as always Can made sure the kids had a good time too :)

Offline Harry

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 01:53:10 PM »
Hi Lozjay
We can recommend Kaptan Restaurant as having not only the best food, but also the best music and the best outlook in town. Both day and night the view across the bay is fabulous. The proprietor Ali used to work in London at the Houses of Parliament and has an amazing music collection.

It''''s not easy to find Kaptan, being the last restaurant in town (above the beach next to the mosque). But once you do, you''''ll go again and again as we did - though you do have to be pretty determined to get past the neighbouring restaurants!

It speaks for itself that most people we spoke to had been there before, or it had been recommended to them. The chef Mahmout is the originator of the ''''Chocolate Surprise'''' dessert and his baked peaches are to die for. Give it a try folks. See you there in October.

EnjoyKalkan Safety
This post is currently under moderation
Reason - Potential Advertising
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:49:38 PM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Favourite Restaurants

Started by jujus on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 07:29:08 PM
by jujus
thumbup
just returned

Started by maduk on Holiday Reports and Reviews

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 04:31:29 PM
by Brooksie
xx
Just returned (sad face!)

Started by Helshe on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 04:31:51 PM
by Helshe
xx
Just returned from Kalkan for the first time – what did we think ?

Started by Tony on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post August 27, 2008, 07:30:12 PM
by fidimax

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal