Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Where we went first week of May 2008  (Read 4317 times)

Offline BoyWonder

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Where we went first week of May 2008
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:47:13 PM »
Just came back. Not there long enough but tried a few places.

TRIO

Fantastic. Ali, Murat, Ayhan et al were wonderful, very friendly, chatty and welcoming. We had a fantastic meal, my partners'' steak melted in the mouth, the liver and onions starter was very tasty as was the parmesan cheese basket with mushrooms. Lots of fun and laughter. We only had the one meal there on our first night because we wanted to try a few places within a not long enough week but we returned again and again for drinks and the company of the guys. Can''t recommend it enough. Will be our first point of call when we return. Great lemon drink from the lovely barman, if he tells you the secret he''ll have to kill you!

KORSAN MEZE

Again down by the harbour, we went down on their opening night and we weren''t disappointed. Billy and Ezran were so friendly and chatty, the service was great and the food delicious. We just went for the mixed mezes for 4 and had plenty. A beautifully presented restaurant. We had complimentary first night drinks. Again like Trio we returned for drinks later in the week just to say hi to B and E.

ISTANBUL

A smaller family restaurant, more traditional Turkish. We had a good meal there, very cheap and we were well looked after. Don''t be put off by the fact it might be empty. It is slightly away from the main town and you won''t be called in but seek it out for a change from all of the usual suspects and I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

GIRONDA

Beautiful building, we would have missed it but we were in the shop next door. Had a drink there in the courtyard and decided to return for a meal later in the week. It was pretty good. The service was almost faultless but too quick and the setting beautiful. The home made bread is delicious and the staters were good. Pretty full when the main course arrived and we would have liked to have had longer between courses to digest. I know it''s annoying to be left waiting but calm down lads. Steaks were ok, we''d had better at Trio and we had asked when ordering if the meals came with veg which having been told no we ordered side dishes to find that they did which was more than we needed and a little odd. Don''t get me wrong we had a good time there but for the comparitively high price we felt there were a few niggles to be ironed out. Please don''t be put off but we enjoyed the others as much if not more.

We wish we could have tried more. We did also eat at a little place in Kas. I can''t remember the name, the decor was green, the name began with an s and it was run by a lady. It''s on a side street off the harbour square. lovely simple turkish food. look out for it.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1560.0

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Where we went first week of May 2008
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 04:07:22 PM »
Cheers for that Boy Wonder,
No mention of breakfasts though?!!!
I hope others will take your lead and give us their reviews of their 2008 holidays in Kalkan.
Thanks
Joan.

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »
been to Kalkan several times, but rarely asked for or remembered the names of the waiters - is it just me being anti -social, ''cos if I did, with my memory, I''d have to carry a notebook and pen!

Offline BoyWonder

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 04:56:17 PM »
Wherever we went we did find ourselves being drawn back to Trio had a lot of fun with the guys so the names stuck despite the alcohol we drank! I''m trying to write a longer piece Joan under holiday reports, it''s just turning into a bit of an essay. We went for the yoghurt, tomatoes, honey, eggs, bread etc option by the pool for breakfast. mmmm honeycomb

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 05:19:57 PM »
Looking forward to the essay in Holday Reports sometime soon, Boy Wonder  :) Great that you liked Istanbul, brilliant place for authentic, rustic Turkish food!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:01:37 PM »
I''ve had lunch a few times in Istanbul - simple but pleasant; like most places they are keen to please and always remember you.  Worth a try if you want to go slightly off the regular routes for a chnge and support what feels like a local venture.

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 11:17:16 PM »
We went to the Istanbul last year.
It was very busy, so the owner got his young waiter to put an extra table up for us outside.
It was great...quick and easy menu to read, good food, good service and definately somehwere we will visit again this year.
The bill was very reasonable too!  :D

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 08:50:29 AM »
I agree - I have enjoyed my meal at the Istanbul - out of the way - good price - lovely food and also Iso next door - both deserve a mention as they are out of the way of the main beat of restaurants - but both well worth a visit!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 09:27:07 AM »
This sounds good where is the Istanbul ??????
We are out in August and plan to try some of the "other" restaurants..............

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 09:32:33 AM »
Hi Misty - go to the Moonlight bar and then carry on the level road straight in front of you instead of going down hill - ie: past the Sofra on your left and the carpet shop and you will come across the Istanbul on your left hand side and then the Iso after that on the left - both very small restaurants but in the summer they put tables out on the street - as they are off the beaten track somewhat - and the road doesn''t really go to any shops or anything - they don''t get easily found!!

Enjoy!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 09:46:58 AM »
Hi Felicity...thanks for the directions..so its straight on into town ? past the bank and little shed where I have my shave ??

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 11:50:53 AM »
Hi
Yes go past ''your'' shaving shed, and at Sofra (on the corner) take the left hand fork (not the right or straight on!), these two restaurants are about 50-100 yards down on left.
Em
Em

Offline Johnjen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 05:37:56 PM »
I can endorse the recomendations,they are both excellent.The guy running Isos (can''t remember his name) used to have a kebab shop in bournemouth so speaks very good english.Last year he was giving free borek & a raki to all the men.Nothing to the ladies though.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 05:43:33 PM »
thats so when the men were fat and drunk ...he could run off with the women !! ;D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 08:04:51 PM »
If he were still in the UK he would no doubt be considered not PC correct - then he would be sued by a woman for her share of the Raki and borek no doubt or someone who was teatotal and didn''t want the Raki or someone who didn''t like cheese in a borek.... thank goodness that it hasn''t reached Kalkan yet  8)

Offline Shirley Burley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 10:27:20 PM »
The guy running Iso''s is called (funnily enough) Iso.  He''s never been to UK so may have been one of his staff who had.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
winter 2008-9 flights

Started by Chrisjust1attheMerkez... on Flights and Travel

5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 07:34:51 PM
by Chrisjust1attheMerkez...
xx
Flights in August 2008

Started by sunlover on Flights and Travel

16 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 05:57:29 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Great Holiday June 2008

Started by Slats on Holiday Reports and Reviews

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 07:23:21 AM
by felicity
thumbdown
Villa burgled - 23 June 2008

Started by DB on General Discussion

57 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 08:53:23 AM
by jackshudds

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Guess where?!

Views: 3706
By: Alfaman
Kalkan May1992