Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Paragliding  (Read 5683 times)

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Paragliding
« on: May 05, 2016, 12:17:02 PM »
Hi, just wondered if anyone has done paragliding either in Kalkan or elsewhere eh Olu Deniz? I would be keen to have any recommendations as to location for doing this and any reputable businesses to use. Thanks.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13264.0

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
Re: Paragliding
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 01:18:48 PM »

Kas is a major paragliding centre with a number of established companies offering tandem flights. You can details of these companies from a google search "Kas paragliding reviews" and see reviews of them on tripadvisor.

Last year we watched several people flying down from the mountain top and landing in the marina car park, with this company http://www.naturaparagliding.com/en/tandem-flights (they all made it).

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 01:47:17 PM »
A couple of years ago we met a young girl with her arm in plaster in The moonlight Bar...she broke it Paragliding in Kalkan .I would check your insurance cover to include it if you are thinking of doing it..on our cover it is included among "extra activities" which you have to pay for ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 02:45:29 PM »
my OH and i did it a few years ago in Kalkan. there was a team of three then. two have since died in accidents! also landing was stopped in the harbour at that time and we landed in a field near Bezigan. OH landed on a cow pat! :(

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 02:52:29 PM »
my OH and i did it a few years ago in Kalkan. there was a team of three then. two have since died in accidents! also landing was stopped in the harbour at that time and we landed in a field near Bezigan. OH landed on a cow pat! :(

A cow pat!
Holy Sh*t.
Well, it would be in India!  ;D

I hope she didn't give you a pat on the back for jumping!  ::)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 03:02:12 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 03:38:50 PM »

A cow pat!
Holy Sh*t.
Well, it would be in India!  ;D

I hope she didn't give you a pat on the back for jumping!  ::)
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D that must be Bob!

I don't think I'll be paragliding in Kalkan anytime soon going off what BL and Samson have posted.
Kalkan Magic - I've heard that the team that do the paragliding off mount Babadag are good and safety conscious but I've no experience other than what friends have told me.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 04:44:44 PM »
Thanks everyone, so helpful as always. It is for a guest so I will suggest Olu which I think operated from Mount Babadag. 😀

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 08:17:56 PM »
A friend and his 2 sons did it from tHe mountains above Kalkan and thoroughly enjoyed it... But I heard from a reliable local source that the conditions (thermals etc) are not good, ie dangerous in Kalkan and Kas is a better/safer bet.

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 10:58:16 PM »
Thanks everyone, so helpful as always. It is for a guest so I will suggest Olu which I think operated from Mount Babadag. 😀

Some friends paraglided at Olu, they said the drive up the very narrow steep mountain road was so terrifying that, despite the wind conditions at the top being a bit touch and go for paragliding, it was a relief to jump off the mountain top rather than face the drive back down.   

Offline Kuzu

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 10:10:42 AM »
We did it in Olu....as Alantj says...the journey up is nerve racking!  Guys we jumped with were very professional.  However a single jumper crashed on take off into a rock...my guy said just keep running, as your feet just run into nowhere & off the mountain we went safely! Great views up there & we landed safely in the beach. A wonderful experience but I guess you need to weigh it all up!

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 02:07:59 PM »
Thanks, gosh there are some stories aren't there? It's definitely not one for me but my friends are doing it when they visit Kalkan next month...

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 12:16:32 PM »
If it hasn't got an engine, and it's not designed to go up, then paragliding=parachute.

Only to be used in emergencies…

Or by the foolhardy >:D
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 04:31:12 PM »
If it hasn't got an engine, and it's not designed to go up, then paragliding=parachute.

You are right Chris. I think to undertake any high risk activity in Turkey is particularly foolhardy. The safety standards just aren't there; evidenced by numerous tragic accidents in recent years.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 09:13:51 PM »

You are right Chris. I think to undertake any high risk activity in Turkey is particularly foolhardy. The safety standards just aren't there; evidenced by numerous tragic accidents in recent years.

Bloody hell....accidents happen.....everywhere not just Turkey. Assume you're not off skiing this winter?!?

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 03:12:14 PM »

Unfortunately it's not just a question of accidents which as you say happen everywhere, it's the lack of safety standards that contribute to those accidents. I suggest you read up on some of th deaths in  Turkey recent years and the contributory factors which were rarely "accidents"

Bloody hell....accidents happen.....everywhere not just Turkey. Assume you're not off skiing this winter?!?

I agree that accidents can and do happen anywhere. Unfortunately it's not just a case of accidents though, it's the contributory factors surrounding those accidents.And the safety standards that are in place,or not, to help prevent those accidents. I suggest you read up on some of the incidents in Turkey which have frequently not simply been an "accident".

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 05:21:51 PM »
It's not the where (although this can be a contributory factor); it's the what ;D

I have known recreational parachutists have are hale and hearty, but they have colleagues that are no longer with us.  It's risky.  I'm into the adage of not leaving an airborne, serviceable aircraft unless essential.

Flying is risky.  I love to fly light aircraft (when I'm solvent and get the opportunity).  This too, has a risk element greater than other pastimes.

Flying on an airliner is risky, though not as risky as driving to the airport.

Wherever, they all carry risk.  Whether that risk is worthwhile, it's up to the person doing it as to whether it's worthwhile.

Paragliding, is in effect, a derivative of parachuting that came out of the more controllable aerofoil type parachutes in the 70s.

It is, in total, a parachute.  Albeit a more controllable one, as evidenced by the Red Devils and their ilk at air displays.  They have had their incidents as well.

Whether Turkey is safer than anywhere in the UK is a moot point, I don't have statistics, but personally, I find a hot-air balloon more appealing on the risk element.

But then, in case you think I may be biased, to quote some back window car stickers:

"I'd rather be flying".

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Water skiing/paragliding???

Started by emma_robbo1981 on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

16 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 12:52:08 PM
by Bdancer

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

kalkan 2009

Views: 2992
By: Lizilu20
EK 70s Night