Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Chinese lantern craze causing damage to property  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Chinese lantern craze causing damage to property
« on: June 26, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
I've been contacted by my property manager this morning to advise that last evening guests in my apartment came home to find that some idiot had launched a large blue Chinese lantern which had landed on my furnished outdoor bedroom terrace. Luckily it didn't set fire to any of the soft furnishings but is has badly stained the stone tiles on the terrace, which guests frantically tried unsuccessfully to remove. We are having to send our cleaning team in tomorrow with porcoz and bleach to try to shift it.

The consequences however could have been much more serious, as most of the terraces in my block of five apartments and the neighbouring block of five (all currently fully occupied) have soft furnishings - rattan furniture, cushions, bean bags - which are flammable. Plus outside the restaurant next door, they store gas cylinders (not sure if they are full or empty) just metres away from our apartment blocks which are in a densely populated part of central Kalkan. As if we haven't already seen enough fire tragedies in Kalkan to last us all a lifetime.

I do hope this is not the latest new craze in Kalkan. I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done about it, but just wanted to make other owners and guests aware of this new potential fire hazard.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12852.0

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: Chinese lantern craze causing damage to property
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 04:42:12 PM »
These lanterns seemed to have been  very popular a few years ago, then there a lot of bad publicity in the UK re the damage etc & they weren't seen quite so much. Saying that we did see one in flight 2 weeks ago coming from the Kalamar area. Have also seen one come down on the mountain side & actually ignite some bushes which fortunately then burnt out quickly.

Although they can look stunning in the air, they are very dangerous when decending. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 06:38:14 PM by DRBD »
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Chinese lantern craze causing damage to property
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 06:02:47 PM »
I agree that the Chinese lanterns look stunning - we also saw on in Kalkan about two weeks ago.   But so dangerous - to the countryside, especially in the hot dry weather, and also to property.   If I see any petition to ban them I would certainly sign it.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Car Damage

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Living In Kalkan

0 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 12:00:17 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
I believe a member is causing disruption, what can I do?

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Welcome & Frequently Asked Questions

0 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 12:55:05 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Chinese Restaurants

Started by jimmo on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

16 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 11:05:10 AM
by clara48
xx
New Chinese Restaurant.

Started by Lizilu20 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2018, 02:02:43 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Three amigos

Views: 4319
By: Johnjen
"Bottoms Up" at Adams!