Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Point to Point Internet  (Read 11534 times)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Point to Point Internet
« on: December 22, 2014, 12:30:26 PM »
When I asked for it to be put in last Friday, I was told that I was the 32nd to have it installed (the same day of asking). So that means 31 other users out there at least. How do others find it for speed and reliability?

Myself I get a little over 4.5mb up here in Kiziltas, but it has failed completely at some time after lunch each day until the next morning around 09.00 when I phone Mavi to ask what has gone wrong. Most frustrating.

Of course it may just be teething problems and when it settles down, I will be glad I paid to have it put in but, at the moment I have my doubts.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12535.0
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
Re: Point to Point Internet
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »
Interesting Cuddles - please do keep us updated as I am considering having it installed....however, not if the reliability is not there!

Cheers!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 02:45:05 PM »
I was thinking of getting installed when I am over in April next year:  Out of curiosity Cuddles, how long did you have to await install after placing your order?

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 03:01:59 PM »
Obviously it was working when I posted the original message but, since then has dropped out again. A re-boot of the modem/router resolved it this time but that is not always the case.

Recep told me that no-one else had reported any problems, so it may just be me. He has offered to bring an ethernet cable up so that I can try that, but there does not appear to be any problem with the wifi signal so it should not make any difference to the actual connection to the modem.

Brian, it was about 12.15 when I went into the office and they could have been at my place by 13.00, but I was out for lunch and they came about 15.30.

PS. Don't believe the forecast for today, it has been lovely and up to 25C in the shade.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 08:36:19 AM »
Well, dropped out last night but took all connectors into modem out again and put them back in at 07.00 this morning. There was the tiniest bit of movement on the plug of the lead coming through the wall and when I switched it all back on it worked. Fingers crossed that that is it. Anyway dentist now, so can't play anymore.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
Hi Cuddles,  is it unlimited data you have with the contract? .do you get some sort of  router  as well as the external wireless device  or  are you presented with a wireless router.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 01:25:19 PM »
Just got back with ethernet lead and connected straight away. However this makes the modem/router unnecessary but the downside of that is that the wifi signal is not available for other things. However, I think that speed-wise it is running faster, and of course the system is more secure.

Recep told me that it may be a problem with the modem/router. He has some new ones on order and will send one up when they come in.

Brian, I believe it is unlimited but, as the contract was all in Turkish and he took it with him when I'd signed it, I cannot be 100% on that. The 300Tl cost covers everything you need except a computer.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:31:12 AM by EK Moderator »

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »
What equipment and services come with the point-to-point-internet?  I assume it is not the same as IPTV which comes with a Mag 250 set-top box and works intermittently as providers pay or do not pay for their own contractual services. 

Our regular Turk Telekom unlimited ADSL contract gives us constantly varying speeds between 3 and 12 MBP and occasionally slows to a crawl.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 11:16:13 AM »
Cosetta, you get a Ubiquiti antennae and cable to receive/transmit the signal, cable clips to fasten the cable to the wall, an ethernet plug which is fitted to the end of the cable and then plugs into a Ubiquiti switching mode power supply. This has a separate power supply lead.
There is an ethernet lead to connect to the ZyXel P-660N-T1A modem/router which enables the wireless connection or, direct to the computing device which cuts out the modem/router and gives a faster connection. The modem/router, if used, requires a separate power supply for which a lead is supplied. It's power consumption is 5.5 Watt max. Of course, the foregoing details are for the faulty modem/router which I was supplied with, the replacement may be a different model.
The configuration above only allows for 1 ethernet connected device, should you wish to add more hard wired devices then a separate unit is available to expand that to 4 devices at extra cost. (45TL I think it was.)
As I have no experience of IPTV or Turk Telecom speeds, I cannot comment on those. I have not noticed a serious slowdown at peak times and here in Kiziltas I am getting about 7.83mb when I have used speedtest.net to test it during the day.
Part of the problems I had last weekend was that they were raising the height of the transmitter arial on their building. This should see better and extended signal reception throughout Kalkan.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:38:16 AM by Cuddles »

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 23
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »
Hi Cuddles,
Thanks for your post re the point to point. Have you had a new modem yet and if so is it any better. How is the system running now you have had it for a while?
Does anyone know if reception extends to Kalamar road - just past lizo hotel. I have had a look at the range map on KTLN and we seem to be on the border.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 05:32:53 PM »
No Caradog, I didn't bother to remind Recep before I left on 12 Jan. So whether he had had a delivery or not, I am unsure. I was happy enough without wifi, especially at the speed I was getting, bordering on 8mbps.

As regards the coverage map, is that the same one that was there originally or, a new one put up since their arial was raised. I'm sure that if you get in touch with them, they will be happy to help.

landline is - 0242 844 27 28
mobile is  - 0541 844 27 28
email - info@kalkancasper.com

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 06:21:36 PM »
Thanks for that cuddles. We are out there next week and will look into it.

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 05:30:03 PM »
An update on point to point. Contacted Recep who installed everything in about 30 mins, complete with new 4 Ethernet outlet modem (I needed more than one outlet). Getting a steady 7mbs speed. Very pleased with setup.

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 07:07:10 PM »
We are having trouble with the internet at present, very variable speeds from around 9 mbps at a good time to 0.3 mbps at a really rubbish time (i.e evening when everyone is watching TV.) with a massive buffering problem at that time. Can anyone who has the point to point internet tell me if the speed is consistent and what speed is it if it is consistent?

If we stick with Turk Telecom and the current problems which are worse than we have ever had i can foresee a lot of guests complaining.

Many thanks.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »
We have ADSL from TT and I agree that the speeds are variable but have never had a speed as low or slow as you are saying. And yesterday at 10pm I didn't notice any particular slowdown.  Are you sure that you do not have a background program running such as cloud storage uploading, anti-virus or other software updating?  These will cause massive buffering.  You might also want to run a complete scan on your computer to make sure no one has tapped into it.

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 11:52:28 AM »
Hi Cosetta, thank you for your suggestion but no we have no other programmes running and 0.3 was an extreme but it is regularly 3 mbps in the evening whereas right now we are getting 9 mbps.  The variability just means downloading programmes does not always work and I am interested to know if the point to point internet has a more consistent download speed.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 12:15:14 PM »
Anne, the answer when I was out at Xmas/New Year was a very consistent speed, certainly good enough to download and watch programmes from Netflix via a direct ethernet connection. As I've stated though, I was only the 32nd connectee.

Maybe you should contact Recep and ask him whether more people being on the system will slow it down, especially during the peak period.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 07:05:06 PM »
We had fibre internet at the apartments for the last two years, but all three routers got burnt out by the storm last October.

So we have just had the point to point fitted by Recep. So far, so good...speed is as good as we were getting with fibre, and we can switch it off during the winter,  so it works out cheaper over the year, AND there is no hard connection to get burnt out in a storm. 

Thumbs up so far!

Offline BeyazGül Apt.

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 10:23:25 PM »
Just joined Kalkan PTP wireless communication revolution,fitted and working in our Mediterranean Apartment today.

Faster than our Virgin Media in the Uk.

Stuart.
Owners Direct TK4637
             &
Define Transfers for complete package

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:44:53 AM by white rose »

Offline caradog

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 07:34:36 AM »
Anyone figured out how to change the wifi key (password) on the point to point system. If I log in to 192.168.1.1 I get as far as the "main" tab but the "wireless" (which I assume I need),and all the other tabs seem inactive.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
point-to-point-wireless-internet-service problems !

Started by brian j p on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2018, 11:18:43 AM
by brian j p
xx
Point to Point Internet Update

Started by KislaBlue on Living In Kalkan

3 Replies
Last post March 01, 2016, 03:51:03 PM
by KislaBlue
xx
Point to Point Internet

Started by happy days on Living In Kalkan

17 Replies
Last post April 27, 2015, 04:43:39 PM
by caradog
xx
ADSL or Point to Point advice please

Started by chrissy1 on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post November 08, 2016, 01:57:16 PM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Morning Time

Views: 3748
By: jackson
EK 70s Night