Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: BOOZE  (Read 5813 times)

Offline Skiddy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
BOOZE
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:41:03 AM »
Please forgive me but it's a very important question  !

Where's the best place to buy booze ?

?? UK Supermarket and pack it as luggage ??
?? Luton 'duty free' ??
?? On the plane ??
?? DalamanAirport ??
?? 'Regional'  supermarket in Turkey ??
?? Local shop in Kalkan ??

'SH'not tht I'm your typi - tipp - tpc - ushual  Brit Abroad y'unershtand :-)))

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12274.0
I hope I live until I die.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: BOOZE
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:58:10 AM »
What are you after in particular?
Branded spirits and champagne is expensive in Turkey so we buy in Duty Free - both in UK and on arrival at Dalaman (for spirits only)
Beer, wine etc we buy in Kalkan. Try Lucky Supermarket opposite the taxi rank for wine and we found best deals on Efes to be in Kipa supermarket which is a national chain (part of Tesco group) with a branch in Kalkan. Shop around though the prices change.
Happy holidays :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Elee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »
We usually buy at Luton airport and/or on plane.

Monarch have good offers 2 x spirits for £20 -  2x Bombay Gin for £26. The only problem with the plane is that they haven't always got what you want on board or have run out (especially on the return journey). Hence we buy some at Luton airport and often buy another lot on the plane!!  ;D

Happy Holidays!!

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:04:50 AM »
Just typed a long reply to you but it has disappeared!  More of less what the others are saying and you can check the airline and duty free selection and prices online before flying.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »
Where's the best place to buy booze ?

All 5 I should think!  :o
B

Offline Skiddy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 12:36:37 PM »
thank you team.  A special mention to Bob previous post - i'm with you on that one mate -)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »
It was 6 actually...you been on the B&M efes already, Bob?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »
Ha Ha it's me!! old hollow legs Lizard!!..I'm only little but I pack em away!! :D..i particularly enjoyed Utopia this year..comfy seats and three sizes of beer..an 8TL(standard)..A 10TL(slightly larger) and a 12TL..(this is a 700 ml glass same as a bottle of wine ) of course being a thoughtful type of chapolito I opted for 12TL this saves the barman from walking backwards and forwards thus saving his flippen floppen leather and earning his eternal gratitude 8)...noticeable that the frosted glass is getting elusive again at night in bars etc,i don't want it to stick to my lip so I dalk dunny but I would like it cold ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:20:23 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 09:45:45 PM »
Agree about the comfy seats outside Utopia. Moonlight always more packed though. Why is this? The telly? The choice of music? We have this conversation every time we pass (or stop by.) Any ideas?

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 09:56:11 PM »
Where's Kipa? Can't remember which shop it is.  ???

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 10:46:14 PM »
I've just told OH about the utopian 12 tl beer and he is drooling, trouble is we are faithful to moonlight. Maybe we could sit on the boundary. Me in moonlight and him in utopia with a couple of kids and dogs in between?  :)
Clara, I think Kipa is the one near the Samira.  :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:49:00 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 11:26:31 AM »
Yes, Kipa is by the Samira.
I think Moonlight is busier because over the many many years they have been there the Aydin brothers have made lots of friends. Newcomers to Kalkan will see the bar as busy and think it must be good so they go in there, make friends then they return there in following years....its a simple formula really.
We do try lots of bars when we are in Kalkan, I'm not a fan of Moonlight's cocktails :P but we have a soft spot for this place so will always spend time there during our stays.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 01:30:38 PM »
If after your trip to Kalkan you manage to cross the road safely back in the town where you live!! A couple of weeks in kalkan just after you got used to looking the Turkish way (first couple of days my lizard legs are making me jaywalk like a headless chicken across Sehitler cad ::))..When you get to your local It is hard not to greet your mates with a peck on both cheeks without fear of the cry going up "Easy Tiger!!..Then you have to get used to Paying as you go!! The landlord would assume you have had enough already if you said you would pay when you are full before you leave :o!!..but still what a nice civilised way! The turks have that right in my view.Of course we know it would never work at home :'(
And have you noticed how people from all walks of life speak to you on hols? people seldom do that at home, is it the mindset of being relaxed on hols or the alcohol who knows? but I think it's rather nice!!
(We use Moonlight and Utopia..more so Utopia this year simply because of the super dooper large beer and especially if the alternative is to perch like a bird on a twig on the moonlight slope)...anyway roll on next year!

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 02:08:36 PM »
Know what you mean BL. Have in the past after being in Kalkan greeted someone with "merhaba" and OH started to order "two efes please" when buying some in Wetherspoons. Must have been the sight of the amber elixir of life that plunged us back to Kalkan. Can't believe the young lad behind the bar in Wetherspoons even though we don't go  there for weeks, lines up two efes on the bar as soon as he spots us. It's not as if we drink that much there only one as OH has the car, worse luck. Must be something about that beer you can look around and pick out the Turkey goers before even speaking to them, quite a conversation starter, even enrolled some new members of the "Efes appreciation society Welsh branch". Have to put a cap on it though or they'll be running out.   :o

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
Oh, how true BL and clara 50. I also spoke Spanish when I first got to Turkey this year and Turkish when I first got to Mexico....I also say "tesekkurler" to waiters in restaurants in UK for a good few weeks after we get back ::) BH often says things like "I've booked us a table in Mussakka tonight" or "Are we going to Jimmy's for cocktails?" for those first couple of weeks which makes me smile and be sad at the same time.
Funny how affectionate turkish men are with other men...Seeing BH hug and kiss some of our male Turkish friends is hilarious but that practice definitely seems to stop in UK ;D
We dont have a local Wetherspoons, but BH buys Efes in Tesco or B&M and with this tropical weather, sitting out in the garden we could almost....well almost if we close our eyes...be in Kalkan.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 04:07:36 PM »
Yes KK4E, the kising thing is great. His first kiss is from our car hire driver when he comes running across the carpark arms outstretched ready. Always intend to count how many on one day, have to remember this year a type of social experiment lol. Don't think I'll bother with lipstick this year doesn't last two minutes. :-*

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
Booze and mobile.

Started by chrisbo48 on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 03:04:59 PM
by chrisbo48
xx
Non-booze drinks

Started by claire on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 01:58:10 PM
by Blue Lizard

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Boatman Ali

Views: 2841
By: hobbo
My dream place