Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Lasers and Searchlights in the night sky  (Read 5239 times)

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
Lasers and Searchlights in the night sky
« on: June 21, 2013, 03:00:51 PM »
Have just been reading about the proposal to have lasers/searchlights in the night sky promoting some business/bar/club or other ??? ??? ??? ???   NO, I am not an old fart, have been clubbing in most parts of the world, BUT poor dear Kalkan :'( :'( :'(  I have always regarded it as a haven, away from the c..p in the rat race, a place to chill, eat well and meet old and new friends :) :) :) :) :)     Not quite sure as to whom this will appeal to, did not think there was enough nightlife in Kalkan to attract the clubbers/bright young things >:D >:D >:D >:D   Oh well, think I will save my pennies and try to find another piece of paradise, whilst I appreciate businesses have to move forward, personally I think this is a retrograde step and will alienate the core market of those who appreciate Kalkan for what it is, not what it aspires to be.  Glad I discovered it when I did, will have fond memories :'( :'( :'( :'(

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11204.0

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Lasers and Searchlights in the night sky
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 03:40:54 PM »
Yes agree MaryJane,never going again,ever...........not until Sunday for two weeks that is !! I will seek out and destroy the said unwanted beam........Signing off,SAM ( Secret Agent Mayday)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 04:11:18 PM »

Once again it seems to be a lack or planning / control or whatever by the Belediye

They do not seem to have a plan or vision of what attracts people to Kalkan [ and what turns them off ]

It just seems to be a free for all as to what makes money, without reference to the place or the wishes of others

Rant over

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 04:21:32 PM »
For heavens sake, Kalkan is not Las Vegas,or Marmaris. It is about time the powers that be understand people like Kalkan because it has retained some charm and it is somewhat different to the big mainstream resorts.

It is in my opinion, not progress or a step forward but a massive backward turn. Just leave Kalkan as it is! Please.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
Mayday 1, I wish you luck in your quest ::) ::) ::) Over and out ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline jg64

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »
See - start to make it just like Marmaris and the place soon starts to resemble Blackpool-on-Sea in the heat. You get the resort you deserve I say. To paraphrase, there's lights, damned lights and Chavtistics. Yesterday, Indian restaurants, today Karaoke music and next will be KFC and Bingo halls! House!!!!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »
Yes it's going to be foam nights...football shirts...restaurants with photos of the food out side including Sunday roast....flat screen TVs blaring out MTV or football...>:D >:D >:D

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 05:14:51 PM »
Misty, methinks I sense a touch of sarcasm >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 05:50:09 PM »
Anyone fancy joining me.............for a big Mac and fries............( coming very soon to a once lovely lycian greek fishing village near you )

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 05:58:59 PM »
Agent Mayday!!!! Just as I was about to wish you godspeed on your mission!  >:D

Seriously.....lasers and searchlights.....just not appropriate or necessary?

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 07:14:18 PM »
Babs.......we get to Kalkan Sunday 23rd May at 23.00 hours ( i will be dropped by parachute ) The mission must be complete by 02.00 am on Monday.If i am unable to permanently disable the search light,i will turn it manually and see if i can spot my secret agent partner,Daniel Craig.

Several secret agents,ie me( 006, Daniel ( 007 ),agent ottaman ( 008 ? ) and others need to combine forces to defeat that nasty villain........Mr Laser Beam.

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 08:29:17 PM »
What on earth?! That is ridiculous! Search lights and lasers?! I'm 26 and my partner is 30 (who's a DJ, song writer and producer in his spare time) so you might think this could appeal to us as we're partial to a night on the town...but no! This is totally not right or why we like Kalkan. It's for total utter R&R!! This is so cheap & tacky!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 09:06:27 PM »
Seems that the ever-growing view is a big NO

But do the people in Kalkan who allow / influence / or can stop this sort of thing ever read the views expressed here or do they care !!

Anyone have any views as to how to influence situations such as this ??

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 08:21:42 AM »
It really doesn't matter what any of us think.....the searchlight (just one...) is already operational and it looks as though it's coming from Mojito...where else? Not sure how long it goes on for, but we've been sitting in Moonlight and it has been on for a couple of hours whilst we've been there later on in the evening. I don't go to Mojito but obviously others do as the place looks bigger this year. Kalkan is changing my friends and appealing to the younger crowd...we saw it last year and it feels even more so this year. And by younger crowd, I mean early 20's  :o If they patronise the place and it makes a good profit, expect to see a few more spring up next year. Kalkan used to have 2 little kebab shops....which then became one. Now you cannot move for "Kebap" places!! Even Breeze...which I admit changes every year...is now Kalkan Kebap, it sits largely empty whilst people queue on a seat in the road for Hunkar next door thanks to the power of forums.
You can still find your little piece of heaven here, the essence of the village is relatively unchanged. Kalkan is still Kalkan.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »
KTLN are having a poll regarding this and asking for people opinions.

Offline Helshe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 04:21:53 PM »
I have to say, I didn't notice any searchlights when I was there just over a week ago, but there was a green laserlight from somewhere near Bread & More each night, although it didn't affect my holiday enjoyment

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
I've just voted in the poll as has the OH, just wondering if anyone knows what will happen with the results?

Offline jg64

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
Nothing will be done about it alas. Change is a runaway train that, once started, cannot be stopped. Seriously bad news for all those with a little taste and who loved Kalkan because of its relaxing, peaceful atmosphere. Ayia Napa was a small, exquisite fishing village once. Now look at it: quad bikes, slappers and young knuckle-headed men feeding their faces on alcohol and sleeping in till 2pm. A portend for the future of innocent Kalkan? It starts with lights and a lack of taste then cascades into what 9/10 on this forum secretly despise but will never admit to publicly. Come on, all who seriously care must do their bit and tell them business owners what may happen to their way of life.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
Oh bazza....sorry jg64.......of course people don't want those things.....don't you read people's posts before you write your ridiculous remarks?!
On reflection not sure any more that you are bazza in disguise as he/she is a journalist, "......and tell them business owners........"  ::) ::) ::)

Ok I have allowed myself to get dragged into this and have paid far too much attention to what jg64 has written on here in the last couple of days......bowing out gracefully now as off on holiday tomorrow......interestingly read an interesting thread on TA today asking if Dubrovnik was anything like Kalkan.....Will report back!

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 06:27:37 PM »
Come on, all who seriously care must do their bit and tell them business owners what may happen to their way of life.

For what it's worth - I'm quite happy to do my bit and talk to the person who runs Mojito about the views of the majority of forum members about this wretched searchlight.  I'll even pull the darned plug out if I can find it!

I've never been a fan of this bar - it has always looked bleak and grubby to me. IMHO the music is terrible and the drinks are rotten. After the restaurants and bars have closed, many of the young male staff make their way there. Inevitably - given the heady mix of testosterone, scantily clad young girls and alcohol - there is often trouble there. I once witnessed three fights in a week.  It's little wonder Daniel Craig didn't venture out of his villa!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Searchlights Over Kalkan

Started by caradog on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2015, 11:40:18 PM
by Kalkan regular
question
Barbeque night at The Regency Hotel or Turkish Night at the Likya hotel

Started by Slj60 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

6 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 10:52:27 AM
by tonik1945
xx
Last night.....

Started by Babs on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 05:11:45 PM
by HolmfirthNicky
xx
Your help for day and night to do list

Started by jackonews on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post August 02, 2011, 04:11:01 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mini Mee Poolside.JPG

Views: 2983
By: Lindy
Bob (Bob & Jayne)