Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Glasses  (Read 4613 times)

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Glasses
« on: April 25, 2013, 07:33:31 PM »
Hi , has anyone had glasses made in Kalkan? I would like to have some new lens put in an old frame .

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10913.0

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Glasses
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 07:45:22 PM »
Yes me and oh have had glasses made here in Kalkan. PM me for details if you want more info.
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 08:04:14 PM »
There is also a good optician in Kas who is open all year

I think that the Kalkan one is only open in the season - or at least one of them is - or maybe both - so  service may be an issue

It's worth checking
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:06:03 PM by kevincat99 »

Offline whiteonyx

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »
i had a pair made up in Kalkan, ended up quite exspensive once the adds ons were put on the price and worst of all were not the correct perscription.
Best to stick with UK based discount optitions.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 08:50:34 PM »
 Had slightly stronger lenses put into my reading glasses  out there and only changed those glasses recently  at home after two years when I also needed new frames, it was cheaper than Specsavers and they were ready the next day. My hubby needed new driving sunglasses as his broke when we were there, he had a really  expensive looking, trendy wrap around pair for a lot cheaper than Specsavers and he'll be using them again this summer. We went to the young guy past the Yali bar down the steps on the right would deffo use him again.  8)

Offline mel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:19:58 AM »
Be very careful with this optican.  I always go to Cem Optic in Fethiye where I have had about 5-6 pairs of glasses/sunglasses made up. One of my lenses had come slightly out of the frame so I asked him if he could put it back in for me. The next day I went back to collect them, when I cleaned them the next morning i noticed a very large scratch about 5cm long by 4cm deep. When I went back he completly denied even touching the lens, his manner changed immediatly even saying to me 'I didn't open this shop so you could fetch all your English friends here'. I know lots of people have been happy with their glasses but if you do have a problem you may have trouble getting it put right.

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 09:26:22 AM »
Had a great pair of reactolites made up by the guy opposite the towel shop at the bottom of the hill near the harbour.  They were ready in two days and a perfect fit.  I think they were around £180 but they are varifocals so cheaper than the UK.  I get lots of compliments on them.  8) 8) 8)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »
My BH needs glasses, and we are in two minds about getting some made up in Kalkan as there have been mixed reviews on here. Do the opticians in Kas/Kalkan/Fethiye work to your UK prescription or would he need to get an eye test out there? thanks :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 10:54:07 AM »
Sorry you had bad service Mel it's not acceptable. Ì recently bought new reading glasses and reading sunglasses recently from a well know Optician, the one "you should have gone to " Admittedly they're fixing problems but I'm sick to the back teeth of going back and we have to travel a way to get there so you have to take petrol and parking costs into consideration as well as the inconvenience at the weekend. This will be the third time of taking them to be adjusted what good are reading glasses if they fall off every time you bend your head? I asked that the sunglasses be a shade lighter than my old ones as even in Kalkan sunlight it was a bit of a struggle to read. They came back even darker. When I commented they suggested that I try them in sunlight,  rather difficult as a month ago we were experiencing freezing temps. Tried them since we've had sun and I can hardly see the writing and I wouldn't dare walk around in them I'd break my neck .Have to go back yet again to change them, and again to pick them up, thinking of erecting a tent outside haha ! I really hope they don't try to charge or I won't be a very happy bunny! §o I can empathise Mel it's very frustrating especially when it's something you rely heavily on day to day. Ì wish now I'd been patient and had them done when we're out in Turkey. Òh feel better now after having that good old moan LOL !!  8)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
Hi K4E
I had mine done using my old specs - he just looked at them with some instrument and could tell what they were. I'm sure if you take out your prescription he'll work on that.  He doesn't do eye testing though. Hope that helps!  8)

Offline Chris the Spark

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »
Hi
My BOH had some prescription Sunglasses made by the optician opposite Cafe de Mar.
He used the prescription from the Uk and check her glasses with his machine.
I have to say the service was excellent as well a the the price.
I would highly recommend this optician.

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 03:12:49 PM »
The optician did the same thing for us as the two previous members posted.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
Mrs Bubbles had a pair of reactolite varifocals with very thin lenses made by Barbaros at the end of 2011. Within 3 months the coating was starting to peel away. Last May, we took them back and he put on another coating (but even that is not lasting). They were then only 6 or 7 months old and she had never had this problem with UK sourced glasses. Mrs Bubbles is, needless to say, not very happy with them.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 03:39:08 PM »
I had two pairs of glasses made up last September at Goz Opticians.

I took my latest prescription from the UK (which I'd deliberately got the month before - a rare piece of planning on my part), and he compared them with my (then) current prescription on his focimeter.

I've so far had no problems with the glasses.  The fit is fine, though after 6 months the reading glasses could do with a slight adjustment, but that's nothing to do with the optician at the time.  The tint is right, the reaction to sunlight is correct and I got some extra coatings that I'm not even offered in the UK.  The pupillary distance is also correct, so I haven't found anything to be displeased about.  Another plus point is the Refractive Index.  Goz made up my reading glasses with 1.8 Index, whereas in the UK they will always use 1.4 or 1.6 in order to make the price appear cheaper, though they may still offer 1.8 for your main glasses, and you pay the price.  They just don't mention the lower Index to you when they quote the price.  The difference in thickness is very noticeable!  You get the International guarantee for the lenses (for what its worth), with the prescription printed on it.

In short, we've had no problems.  I must add the caveats, if you get a problem, you can't pop into your local shop to get them fixed or adjusted without paying; and secondly, if you depend on the focimeter for the prescription, the Astigmatism angle may be different, having the prescription removes that variable.  (Having your prescription with you when you travel is a sensible idea anyway - I keep mine on my smartphone!)  That said, look after them, and you shouldn't have to get them adjusted very often.

And finally.  The Price.  About 2/3rds of the High Street.  And that would have been a bigger difference if I hadn't gone over the top with the frames!
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
thanks folks :)
Can someone tell me if Goz Opticians and Barbaros are two different places or one in the same please? thanks :-*

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 04:19:47 PM »
Hi, I don't know the name of the optician but the one opposite cafe del mar was offering free eye tests when we went at Easter. OH wanted to get one done but never got  around to it. He's starting to read things further and further away from his face, a sure sign of, ahem, maturity!! Either that or it was one too many efes!!!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »
I think Goz is the one opposite Cafe del Mar. Not sure who Barbaros is.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
Barbaros is the long curly haired chap who runs the shop on the street going uphill from Salt and Pepper restaurant. (At least, that is where he moved to last season.)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 01:06:30 PM »
sounds like they are the same...
thanks guys...we are going to take BH's prescription and we'll let you know how we get on.

Offline The Engineer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
    • The Engineer
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »

I had my glasses made in Kalkan for years & they were very stylish & cheap but I now find that they are quite epensive compared to the UK. I now buy my glasses from the supermarket (Slogan - why pay more) optitions dept. Varifocal  & reaction Lenses in designer frames £139.

Great value

M

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Presciption Glasses

Started by misty on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 08:19:01 AM
by Cuddles

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal