Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Single women in Kalkan  (Read 6541 times)

Offline Brenditaa

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Single women in Kalkan
« on: April 22, 2013, 06:47:13 PM »
I am going to Kalkan for the first time by myself and I was wondering how it is for single women.

If anyone has a good comments on places for me to go in the evenings where I would feel comfortable I would really appreciate it. I like nice pubs and nice restaurants.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10894.0

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Single women in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »
You will love most of Kalkan. As a western man, all I will say is beware of Lotharios and those who promise their undying love. My daughter fell a victim to one of these. Also, if you have any money, don't let the Turks know. They will lighten your purse before you can say Yakshamlar! Just go an enjoy yourself and have a good time. You will be spoilt for choice of true Turkish eateries and quality restaurants although there are a distinct lack of pubs because Marmaris it ain't!

This said, there's tons of lovely bars where you can have a relaxing drink. Just visit Tripadvisor and get a balanced view. People on Kalkan forums tend to have very fixed ideas based around their own personal taste and I find Tripadvisor to be more balanced.

As for feeling comfortable, so long as you remember the culture of Turkey and that this is a generally upscale resort, you can be rest assured of a great, safe time. Indeed, Kalkan is a very safe place for women, young children and youths alike. It is peaceful, tranquil and beautiful and once you have been for the first time, you will fall in love with it and return again and again. It has that magical quality so lacking in other tourist resorts. I hope you have a wonderful time.

Owner, holidaymaker and Kalkan lover

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 07:09:09 PM »
Hi Brenditta you have chosen well for a place to visit alone - we have met several ladies whilst on our visits who are ladies travelling alone and they dont seem to have any difficulty fitting in, you will find on the whole most people are willing to strike up a conversation with single people in restaurants etc. There have been a few threads on here on the very subject if you use the search facility but anyway I am sure you will have a great holiday so just enjoy.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 07:35:35 PM »
I'm sure you will be fine, Brenditaa. Kalkan is a safe and comfortable place for lone female travellers - have a look through the search facility as I'm sure this subject has been raised before. I know a few ladies (and gentlemen) who have holidayed on their own in Kalkan and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. bazza1970 has offered you some sound advice there about splashing the cash around....just be wary.
Have an amazing time :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
Enjoy the flattery and attention from Turkish waiters etc but don't take it seriously, they are attentive and they are just being hospitable. Merkes cafe is a nice place to sit and people watch and you won't feel out of place. A boat trip is another way to meet people and again I'm sure you will feel comfortable. I  think you will find other visitors friendly. Kalkan is one of the few places I know where I would feel safe waking around on my own lat at night.

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:54:39 AM »
Hi Brenditaa,

I am single and have been coming to Kalkan on my own for years - in fact I have just returned from 3 blissful weeks. I concur with everything that others on the forum have said with regard to it being safe, welcoming, and relatively hassle-free.

You WILL get male attention! However, if this is something you are not seeking, I usually slip a ring on my wedding finger before I go, decline any 'offers' politely, and refer repeatedly and robustly to my 'blissfully happy marriage'. But don't let this stop you enjoying new company - most locals are genuinely friendly, and I have struck up conversations and friendships that that been both rich and rewarding.

Although I will happily go the high-end restaurants during the day for drinks, snacks and a chats with the staff, ... this is just a personal thing .... but at night I am most comfortable going to less formal eateries (which are not full of couples celebrating their significant anniversaries) such as Fener, Begonvil, Touch, Hunkar, Merkez, and Cafe Leon. These are all inexpensive, central, serve great food and are fantastic for people-watching.

Boat trips are easy, taxis relatively cheap, and don't hesitate to check out the times for the dolmus - Kas is a lovely town to wander round and it's only 30 minutes or so round the headland - the fare is £2.50.

If you want to send me a PM to let me know when you are going and where you are staying, I'll send you some more info.  I hope you have a lovely holiday.

Offline Brenditaa

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »
Thanks everyone that posted a reply I really apreciate it very much and I am looking forward to going to Kalkan to have a nice holdiay.

Does anyone know any good places to stay in the old town area as I have not booked anything as of yet as this was a last minute decision to go to Kalkan.

brenditaa

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 05:19:17 PM »
I think you should stay as close to the centre as possible - everything within walking distance. You don't say if you would prefer a hotel or self catering apartment?

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
I recommend the White House in the old town. The owners are really friendly and it would be a good place for a woman travelling on her own to stay.

Offline Brenditaa

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 04:19:48 AM »
In response to what do I prefer hotel or apartment I think a hotel, I will be in kalkan from the 16th May - 28th may so any reccomendations would be nice.

bren

Offline JaneN

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 05:54:55 AM »
Hi Brendita

I am sure that you will find Kalkan so welcoming and friendly, whether on your own or not, but I do understand, as a single woman sometimes you can feel uncomfortable.My family run a lovely little cafe called Cafe Leon in the Old Town (next to the town mosque - very easy to find- I have a lot of single women friends who regularly come to Kalkan, and who always tell me that they are comfortable coming to the cafe, as they can sit on their own, have a drink and/or eat and not feel any pressure. Also if I say so myself we are pretty friendly so there's always someone who's up for a chat if you fancy that!
I've PM'd you also with a hotel suggestion!

Offline Brenditaa

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 07:19:40 AM »
Thanks for your response Jane can you recommend a nice hotel with pool in old town, there as so many hotels it is really hard to know which one to picke so I am hoping that people who live there or who have been there will respond and give me their input..

I will for sure stop by your cafe when I come.

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 08:56:08 AM »
Hi Brendita,

The Meldi  would suit your needs, they have quite a few single women stay there and are never  left on their own. It has a lovely pool and is  not too far to walk into town.

I know there is a wedding just before you go and  could be full but worth giving them a ring, they will also  pick yu up from the airport which is included in he room price for 7 days or more.

Offline utah1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »
I agree the Meldi is amazing.  I would definitely go there on my own.  They look after you for sure. X

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Single in Kalkan

Started by Brenditaa on Introduce Yourself

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2013, 09:08:12 AM
by honey9
xx
Single and on holiday in Kalkan May 2011

Started by QueenBee on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2010, 08:32:31 PM
by Chucky
recycled
Footwear for women

Started by claire on General Discussion

25 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 06:14:30 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
easy shopping for REAL WOMEN!

Started by akrep on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 06:45:33 PM
by misty

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Glacier Glazing

Views: 3484
By: blondie
Kalkan Harbour