Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Burglaries  (Read 6871 times)

Offline anne41

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
  • young at heart
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Burglaries
« on: September 13, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
Hi all

Flying out to kalkan tomorrow and of course really looking forward to it but
Have been a bit concerned about the posts on breakins. I think it's great to be aware that these things can happen even in Kalkan and we will take every precaution . Was just wondering if you think it would be a good idea to leave some lights on even during the night?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10150.0

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
Re: Burglaries
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 03:43:43 PM »
I daren't tell Mrs P about it until we get out there. I'm thinking of getting some of those door wedge alarms and taking with me or even hanging saucepans on the door handles. That doesn't cover the windows tough but I'll tell her she'll have to sleep with the windows closed.
With the season winding down & a few arrests of late hopefully they've moved on

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:52:11 PM »
You can buy a set of 4 window/door sensor alarms very cheaply on ebay for under £6.  Well worth taking some with you as an extra precaution.

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
I was absolutely paranoid about the burglaries thing in the run up to my holiday, particularly as I am staying in a villa alone. I invested in a movement sensor alarm and the alarmed doorstop jobbies - and haven't used any of them. I do lock my bedroom door when I go to bed and I hide the iPad in the oven drawer when I go out but apart from that I'm just careful in a routine sort of way about security. It's a horrible, horrible thing to be burgled but it's still relatively rare in Kalkan when you consider the number of homes and you have to be very unlucky to be one of those targeted. Try not to let it dominate your thoughts to anything more than a prudent degree.
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:37:37 PM »
We came back on Monday and thankfully had no problems and didn't see anything suspicious or heard about anyone having been burgled. Just took small precautions, shut the curtains when we went out and left a table lamp on. Took valuables to bed and locked the bedroom door. Spent a few evenings alone until about midnight when I was too tired to go out and didn't feel at all nervous, just again closed the curtains and kept plenty of lights on and left the a small light on in the lounge and in the bedroom when I went to bed until my OH returned. I'm not the bravest but didn't find it a problem at all. Just enjoy your holiday!

Offline whiteonyx

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 10:12:55 PM »
i am coming out on the 22nd with some brand new YALE wireless alarm systems and have some spare, if anyone is interested in having one fitted  to their villa or apartment please PM me for details.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »
I bought some of those door / window alarms off ebay as KB mentioned, they are attached by sticky pads so I won't be doing any damage to the villa we are renting, I am now wondering whether to leave them in place when we move out for others safety or bring them home? Maybe I should contact the rental company first just in case they don't like it.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 10:28:18 AM »
Good idea to ask the owner first, but I'm sure they will be grateful of your thoughtful addition to their property.
Also, leaving them will free up valuable luggage weight on the way home!  ;D

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »
I have a Friedland MA6 remote control movement sensor alarm plus an alarm door wedge if anyone would like them. I go home tomorrow but can leave them at a specified location in town before I go, i.e. one of the bars or restaurants. Please let me know ASAP if anyone wants them or they will go back in my case.

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »
If you are renting a property, i would suggest the first port of call should be a question to the owner about what security measures they have in place. I think its incumbent on all those who rent their property to make sure that they have taken all reasonable precautions to safeguard their guests. I do not think it unreasonable for those who rent to invest some of their rental income on improving security. It has been mentioned on here before and worth restating that the majority of property in Kalkan has windows and doors that are far too easy to force open. If i was looking to rent i think security would be high on the check list in my decision making.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 03:11:46 PM »
I emailed Agni Travel this morning and they've had no reports of any problems so far but are happy for me to add some security. Although the villa is in a complex it does have a garden gate to the road. I think a light on & curtains pulled when we go out for dinner will be a regular event.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
Pompeyalbie -  Wıll you be stayıng at Lycian Vıllas?

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »
Certainly am, Villa Rose over the back of the complex. We stayed there in May and enjoyed it so much rebooked it for first week in October. Do you know it then?

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
My sister ın law and husband stayed there last week.We were very ımpressed with theır securıty.We arrıved to visit them durıng the evening when it was dark.We were stopped goıng through the front gate and not allowed in until they had checked ıt was ok to let a non guest ın!! Thought that was really good.
They had a fab time and were really pleased with everything about the place.

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 10:24:42 AM »
That's good news, my only concern is that the villa is at the back and has access to the road behind via a small gate & wall. I'm sure we'll be fine.

Offline TalkTalk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 01:58:51 PM »
Our villa has an Alarm, wooden shutters plus the double glazing plus mosquito net we have had the villa 11 years thankfully no problems....

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Burglaries

Started by Mags on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 05:06:23 PM
by Mags
xx
BURGLARIES

Started by Hannah Smith on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 10:26:37 PM
by Cosetta
xx
Burglaries

Started by alantj on General Discussion

84 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 09:47:10 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
BURGLARIES

Started by Stanley on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 08:07:31 PM
by GARDENIA PAT

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Views of Kalkan

Views: 3193
By: tramline
EK 70s Night