Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler - the journey back through Dalaman and Jet2  (Read 4729 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Antler - the journey back through Dalaman and Jet2
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »

Abi Tours picked us up at 5.30pm prompt for the 2hr journey back to Dalaman Airport. "Antalya?" I said.  "No, Bodrum!" he replied laughing. We chose to stay in the air conditioned People Carrier at the comfort break, but Driver took a 10 minute break.

The Airport seems to have tightened up its policy on liquids compared to last year. We took some cans of drinks through the first scanning machines, immediately inside the Airport Doors. This gave us chance to use them in the long queue at check in and we waited until the latest possible moment to go through Passport Control and the final scan where remaining liquids were thrown away. So hang onto your drinks until the second check.

In the Food Court it was rather like Kalkan Market, as all I could hear was “How mooooch?!”.  People were not expecting to pay TL4.6 for their small bottle of mineral water that may have cost them TL0.5 on the Kalamar Road. That’s a multiple of 9 and much has already been said about these prices on this Forum.

The Lads had saved some remaining TL for their “snack”, choosing a Double Zinging McWotsit Meal, for about TL 27. They pointed out that was about the same price as their favourite Fillet Steak in KAYA – that’s £11.74?  They must have “gone large”.

Jet 2 made up for it, though, with a cracking deal. Two litres of Jack Daniels for £20 with the £5 voucher printed on the Boarding Pass if you checked-in on line. Similar Smirnoff Blue.

It was a question of “same seat, different day” on the flight back, but the tray table would not lie flat, wedging itself against my Kalkan Curve, with a sharp pain every time the guy in front moved. But he needed to move, as people in the A-B-C row adjacent to him decided to change the baby's  nappy and spread the little dear out across the seats. The stench was awful, and they fanned the air with the in-flight magazine, while their fellow passengers in D-E-F enjoyed their Pork Casserole and plastic bread.

But I could only think of one thing as I gasped for fresh air. I was hanging my arms over the edge of the infinity pool up at The Mediteran, looking out to sea. The whole of Kalkan Bay spread out before me, as a yacht full of Beautiful People headed out to sea in the direction of Kas, only to feel the jerk of the plane as it hit the tarmac in Leeds.

That’s me done for this year! 

Cheers,

Antler

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6083.0
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:33:15 PM by antler »

Offline dancing ninja

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
Re: Antler - the journey back through Dalaman and Jet2
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:36:07 PM »
Well Antler that was another great report . Now that you are back it would be intresting to know which were your "fave" restaurants along with the best meals.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 04:10:36 PM »
My Dear Antler - to use the old adage - "no pain, no gain!"   Hope you had a clothes peg with you!
In my book, the worst feeling is being back in the UK, thinking "this time yesterday etc, etc!  Yes, we have warm weather here at present, but not Turkey weather.   Please keep us all informed as to your plans for next year?  Am counting the days until my hard earned holiday- the first EFES, great!  (Then loads of tears on the plane taking off from Dalaman en route to UK after the holiday, Give my regards to Lincs (born and bred there). :D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 04:13:03 PM »
mmmmm....let me guess.....Mussakka....table 31?? :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 04:36:22 PM »
Antler it has been a joy to read your wonderfully atmospheric reports. Looks as though your second trip to Kalkan has been as memorable as your first.
Thank you for taking the trouble to post everyday whilst you were there and get some help for the inevitable Kalkan Blues which will hit...oooh right about now ;) :-*
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:28:26 AM »

Hi dancing ninja!

Well, I guess the daily postings confirm what the personal favourites were, but every day we seemed to come across something new. Like on our last night at Mussakka, when Ollie had the Sea Bass Fish Cakes and Mrs A had the “Summer Steak”; both were absolutely gorgeous, and I remembered a work colleague came back from Kalkan last September oooozing about this Summer Steak in a Balsamic Dressing with pine nuts, and I just didn’t get it – until I tried it!

But we also enjoyed the simplicity of Oz Adana and Meydan, this year. Real chill-out stuff, Pides and Salad with an Efes.

We also loved the Nar steak and had so many people advising us to try it. The Fillet Steak on a bed of Ricotta Risotto was superb.

And of course, the chill-out at Chillies, with its openness, contemporary feel and cool music; this was great for us as it was so close to the Mediterranean Apartments. A huge range of meze on display in the open kitchen, enticingly looking so fresh.

All of these places played a part in creating a fabulous holiday.

Cheers

Antler
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:30:23 AM by antler »

Offline dancing ninja

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »
Thanks for that Antler you have been a great help, i was in Kalkan last year same time as you and caught the "Kalkan bug". I will visit Mussaka,Adams,kalamaki the Nar and a few other faves this year and try some of the ones you frequented.   
Will say hello to Adam for you........ cheers mate!

Offline Rockykalamar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:21:18 AM »
Hi I'll be there Friday. Could you tell me where Adams is, please?

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 11:27:44 AM »

Adam's Restaurant is on the road to Kas, about 4 or 5 kilometres from the centre of Kalkan.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 11:33:23 AM »
Adams phone number.....+0090  242 844 3232  ;)

he will pick you up...
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lancs lass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 12:31:50 PM »
Thanks for the fab reports Antler, you've added many more things (especially eateries) to my 'to-do' list which was already ridiculously long!

I'd like to go up to the Mediteran, but thought I'd read elsewhere that it's now exclusive to residents, I take it from your visits that's not the case and they don't mind visitors just turning up? Did they call a taxi for you to get back to town or did you pre-arrange?

Only 10 day to go!!  ;D

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »

Hi Lancs Lass!

They didn't mind us just turning up. We do have lunch there and so we spend some money as well as using their gorgeous pool.

I have a local taxi guy's number in my mobile (Emre Goktepe - 0090-536-323-2853) and I just call him, or ask Reception to call; if they are not too busy they will even drop you back into town.

They are linked with Indigo Beach Club so can arrange your watersports for you, taking you there in an air-cooled, leather-clad Land Cruiser. The Lads thought this was the ultimate luxury, and far better than going across to Kalkan Beach Park, who use Indigo Water Sports anyway.

Enjoy your holiday in only 10 days!

Antler

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:53:00 PM by antler »

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 08:02:32 PM »
Oooh I was getting all excited then..... for a second there, I thought Emre was a leather-clad Land Cruiser!!!!

Offline Lancs lass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 12:27:15 PM »
Ta for the extra info Antler, tel number is really useful. As for the water sports, the most exercise I'll be probably doing is swimming out to the pontoon at Mahal  :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Antler's Journey Home

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 05:57:27 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Antler's back at Mussakka...........

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 08:09:21 PM
by Amndwr
xx
The incredible journey

Started by kalkan4eva on Flights and Travel

1 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 06:31:43 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Car journey from Scottish Highlands to Kalkan!

Started by suziq on Flights and Travel

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 07:49:40 PM
by itstime

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal