Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Newbie with a few questions!  (Read 2374 times)

Offline dshiels

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
Newbie with a few questions!
« on: May 20, 2009, 05:58:08 PM »
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and first of all could I say that this is a great website with some excellent information on Kalkan.  It obviously how much you all seem to love Kalkan.

My wife and I will be visiting Kalkan on 15th June for the first time (also first time in Turkey).  I have organised this holiday as a surprise for my wife, she knows we are away but has no idea where and probably thinks we are going back to Rhodes as we had a great holiday in Lindos last year. 

We are staying in the Kelebek Hotel as I was looking for somewhere very friendly and not too big and after reading the review on Tripadvisor it seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

I want to make it as special as possible so there are a few questions that I have.  I have read through as many as the posts as possible so I am not asking stupid questions that have been answered many times before as I know how annoying that can be!  I have even already purchased the Avon SSS!

1.   I have a UK passport and my wife is an Irish one.  I know about the £10 visa fee (in English notes) and that my wife will have to pay in Euro’s.  Is the amount for her 10 Euros?

2.   I have got a basic map of the location of the restaurants etc however is there anywhere I can get a map showing the hotels or could anyone even point me in the right direction on where the Kelebek Hotel is located as I would like to get my bearings asap when I arrive.

3.   One of the things I would like to book is the Turkish Bath and Massage.  I am aware there are a few different options of places to go and everyone has their own opinion on which is best, so rather than ask for recommendation, which would be the easiest found from our hotel as I would like to book this for the first morning of our holiday.  What is the best way to book as I would like to book this in advance. 

4.   In one of the posts it notes the Villa Mahal is one of the most romantic places.  Is this a hotel or restaurant?

5.   I would love to spend a day on Patara Beach.  Is the best way to get there on the dolmus?  I am aware this is the local bus/minibus service, is there any particular location we need to go to get the bus and how frequent is the service.  Do you just pay on the bus?

6.   Is it worth a trip to a beach club for a day.

Sorry for all the questions and perhaps I would have been better to split these into separate posts. 

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give and I look forward to maybe meeting some of you on the 15th.

Darren

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=3517.0

Offline tonik

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: Newbie with a few questions!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 06:14:49 PM »
This is a link to Turkish Local news which gives good information on dolmus availability etc. It has loads of other info and a great webcam

http://www.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/index.php/component/content/article/52-bus-coach-services/2131-bus-coach?directory=53

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:10:58 PM »
Hi Darren,
Most of the answers to your questions are already covered in various sections of the forum, and if not someone will help.
I understand that the cost for your wife''''s visa will be 15 euro.
The Kelebek is situated near the weekly market, all down hill into the centre but pick your route home to avoid a very steep hill behind the Teskos Supermarket.
I would think that the nearest place for your Turkish bath will be the Atlantis Wellbeing. There are contact details on one of the recent threads.
Patara is a must, there is a regular Dolmus service and you can either pay at the Bus Station which is close to where you will be staying or on the Dolmus.
Hope this is of some help
Joan

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 07:41:50 PM »
Hi Darren
two of the questions not answered so far

Villa Mahal is a very nice hotel, restaurant and beach club. You can book a table at the restaurant and go to the beach club without being a resident. You can have a look at the place on www.exclusiveescapes.co.uk. It''s not located in the centre of Kalkan, but you can get the water taxi from the harbour (probably one of the last of the day - they finish around 7pm) and a taxi back.

Yes it''s definitely worth spending a day at one of the beach clubs - Kalamar is the livliest..and probably the busiest. We like Palm and Mahal, probably because they are a bit more sedate - you just hop on a water taxi from the harbour.

Have a wonderful holiday
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 08:19:53 PM »
Directions from Kelebek to town: turn right out of hotel, first left, left again, then right, this will take you past Extinct Restaurant and Oz Adana Pide on your right, Tesko Supermarket on the left corner. You are now at the Kalamar Road roundabout. Turn left and at the next roundabout turn right into the main street. This is about 5-10 mins walk from the hotel. Just walk down and eventually you''ll be at the marina. You''ll soon find your way about.
The walk back is a different matter but as JoanH says there a couple of different routes.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline dshiels

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 10:20:23 PM »
Many thanks everyone for the advice so far.  I will do a bit more reading as suggested and have a look at those other website. 

Walking isn''t a problem and it couldn''t be any worse than last year in Rhodes with a 25 minutes walking in what felt like a 70 degree incline! ;)

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:34:29 PM »
HI Darren,

Remember there is a restaurant map on EK located here - http://enjoykalkan.com/v2/maps-and-guides/
that you can print out. EK was the first website to have a Google Map but we found as you cant print it there isnt a huge amount of use whilst out in Kalkan  :)

Have a great time!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Yet more questions from a Kalkan newbie

Started by amberpop on Introduce Yourself

5 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 09:06:44 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
A few questions please...

Started by chrisheeley on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 12:57:52 PM
by Potter
xx
Lots of Questions

Started by alantj on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 09:58:48 PM
by headroom
recycled
Questions about Kalkan

Started by NewtoKalkan on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 05:48:35 PM
by yelkenite

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

newcomer

Views: 535
By: sue1945
Lost up the mountains