Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Sudden surge in bookings  (Read 9407 times)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Sudden surge in bookings
« on: January 10, 2009, 05:02:40 PM »
Don''t get me wrong, I''m not complaining, but there has been a massive surge in bookings for the apartments over the last three days - six bookings confirmed and two more pending - so much so, that it''s actually been hard to keep up with them! That''s the sort of activity level we would expect to get over the whole of January, not just in a few days.

Have any other owner/renters experienced this surge and, if so, can you explain it?

Like i said, I''m not complaining, just curious.  ???

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2762.0

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
Re: Sudden surge in bookings
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 05:12:42 PM »
Well Martyn - you must be the lucky one - I have had a couple of enquiries since beginning of Jan...but no stampede and no bookings as yet.......  :( :(

So what IS the secret of your success...???  When you get full - you could point them in my direction..  ;D ;D
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 05:20:57 PM »
Felicity, I''d like to say I know why, but I''m baffled.  We were a bit anxious about whether we''d done the right thing by taking on two more apartments, especially since the crunch but if it carries on like this we''lll be extremely happy!

The only thing I can think of is that we only have one-bed apartments, and because of that they are cheaper than some of the swankier villas & larger accommodation. Maybe that''s the key factor in the current situation - people are prepared to scale down in order to economise a bit?

Once we get full, then of course I''ll pass them on... to the highest bidder... ;) ;D

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 05:53:39 PM »
It''s because we''re your neighbours.
Ha Ha.
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Jik

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Emerald Apartment - Kalkan
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 06:22:53 PM »
I too have seen many enquiries/bookings since Christmas. It must be early birds ensuring they have first choice, as of course holiday makers are looking at the non EU countries because of the Euro. I only have a a few weeks left available which last year took til March to acheive! I''m happy  :)

Offline chris

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:59:20 PM »
Hi
I was after a little help . i have apartment in kalkan i am going to rent it what is the best website for me to advertise my apartment on
would be gratefull if you could put me in the right direction as there are so many websites
many thanks
chris 

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 12:21:10 AM »
I havn''t seen any surge in booking, in fact slightly less than last year (and for the first year ever have no repeat bookings, usually we have at least 3 repeats - reason given for not coming back is the cost of taxis and restaurants).

I would be interested in knowing if other villa owners have seen the increase in bookings reported by the apartment owners.

Regards

Alan   

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 12:40:58 AM »
It''''s because we''''re your neighbours.
Ha Ha.

Of course! That explains it mate ;D

Offline Rosie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 09:01:46 AM »
I also have a villa which was just about booked up for this season by the end of September last year, plus I put the prices up for 2009. I''m still taking enquiries and filling up the few gaps that are left! I think the increase in air fares has a lot to do with it - that coupled with the fact that it is better to book flights earlier now to take advantage of low prices, whereas previously it was better to wait and book last minute. There was a lot in the media last year about airlines reducing their routes and increasing fares etc and I think it prompted people to be more organised.

Offline yelkenite

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 09:47:38 AM »
Hi Rosie and Kalamar Dream; to be honest I''m not sure about turning our little slice of paradise into a business but I''d be interested in hearing how you''re promoting your properties. Are you seeing all this business develop through advertising on the Enjoy Kalkan website?
Thanks
bill

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
Hi Rosie and Kalamar Dream - I''m with Bill here - I would love to know the secret of your success...?????

I have no problem filling August - but the rest of the season is hit and miss.  Last year''s bookings were down on the previous year (our first year), this year although we have had quite a few enquiries, few have translated to bookings.... we have 2 repeat guests - which isnt bad considering last year was not that good...!!!  I would love to be able to say that I''m nearly fully booked from April to October... :o 

Cheers!

Offline edisrag

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 03:22:58 PM »
beginning of Jan saw lots of enquiries for me, and 3 more confirmed bookings, also got a couple in December, I am now only looking to rent out June and a few odd weeks throughout the season - is June generally a slow month?

Offline lucasvdb

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 12:35:10 PM »
No enquiries whatsoever, what''s wrong with holiday-rentals?

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 03:58:20 PM »
Hi ,
Have to agree! Lot of interest and bookings. Much earlier this year and less haggling re. price!!. Just one from last year. June seems to be still available overall! Price/no. of flights, before school holidays?  Thomas Cook opened up Kalkan from N. Ireland last year and we noticed a lot more Irish accents on our trips. We use OD, H.lettings. Only two enquires and no bookings EK. Can I suggest upgrade of info and photographs.
All the best Steve 

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 04:03:19 PM »
Hi,

Just to also assist somewhat as I am currently preparing some information for people who advertise on EK, the people who get the most enquiries through EnjoyKalkan follow these golden rules which are obviously applicable on all letting websites.

Dress for success

When you photograph your property make sure its looks its very best.... remember the little touches so people can really imagine a holiday there... the bowl of juicy fresh fruit, the bottle of wine on the terrace etc - People quickly make decisions based on what they see in a photo - dont show clutter as it will make your property appear small!

If you are given a certain number of photos you can upload, use them all... remember you are paying for them! Make sure every photo has a purpose and clearly plan what you want the potential customer to get from the photo. If you want to show off your apartment, show its best feature first, for example the view - Do not just show a photo of the apartment block as it could be anywhere, and someone else may have the neighbouring apartment up for rent for less money!

Planning means pounds!

Whilst creating a property advertisement on EnjoyKalkan is a very easy process, add a bit of text, a few photos etc remember to have a plan first. Sit down together and write one down - think what makes your property special... why did you purchase that property over another one... Make sure your advertisement covers everything you want it to and has a clear structure, remember with so many properties available you need to make yours stand out - If the potential customer has a question that isnt answered in your wording they may just move on to the next and not take the time to email you with their enquiry.

Promote your property not just the area

Many people make the mistake of putting vast amounts of information of what to do in Kalkan, whilst this is very nice to read it does not promote your property. Make sure the information you put helps to sell your property, if you are close to the market or perhaps you have outstanding harbour views mention this in your advert. Remember every property in Kalkan benefits from Kalkans restaurants etc. you need to tell the potential guest why your property is different.

Availability is the key

We all hate updating calendars but the truth is it has to be done. Many people will search based on what is available at the time they need, if your calendar is not up to date you cannot expect people to take the time to ask. Do not try and be lazy thinking that leaving it always available will generate enquiries - it wont! the customers first reaction will be to question why you have no bookings compared to others... what is wrong with your property that no one else wishes to stay there?

Speed is of the essence

When an enquiry comes in ensure you respond to it quickly and answer all the questions raised. That enquiry will only come once and if you do not act quickly the customer will go elsewhere. EnjoyKalkan enquiries are sent to your registered email address, if you have more than one make sure it is the one you check most often - if it is out of date ensure you update your details immediately.

Dare to compare

The customer will compare your property against the others available, so make sure you do to. Spend some time looking at the competition to see what they offer, make sure you have listed all the facilities you have as some you may take for granted. Check your prices are in line with realistic market expectations as opposed what you wish to receive or promised by your real estate agent. Most importantly ensure your property is of the same standard or higher than the competition, you will need to re-invest some of your income on keeping the property modernised.

High visibility = high returns

Whilst not encouraging everyone to advertise everywhere, do make sure your property has high visibility to the public. If you have a website for your property ensure you add this link to EnjoyKalkan accommodation and why not link back to EnjoyKalkan which in turn will increase your Google presence. Ensure you advertise on market relevant websites, whilst EnjoyKalkan is the biggest website for Kalkan it depends upon the person choosing Kalkan as their destination of choice. Ensure you also advertise on general Turkey websites and take advantage of cross promotions, for example the free advertising on EnjoyKas and EnjoyFethiye for potential area switchers.

Never be afraid to ask

If there is something that is missing from EnjoyKalkan accommodation, just ask.... the facilities lists etc can be very quickly updated to suit your needs. If you are not receiving as many enquiries as expected perhaps there is something we can assist with.

I hope this helps  :D
Jon

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:10:00 PM by Enjoy Kalkan »

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 09:27:49 PM »
We have two properties for rent, our villa in Kalkan and an apt in Spain.  Since New Year''s I''ve received several enquiries -- more than last year --  a 2-week booking for the villa but not a lot of interest in the Spanish apt although we did get Canadians who booked and paid for eight out-of-season weeks.  We do not use either H/L, H/R or O/D, we rely mostly on our own site and another one catering to French & Spanish.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Rosie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 10:09:25 PM »
To answer your question Bill and Felicity - it''s the same as Kalamar Dream - no real secret. But unlike Kalamar Dream I chose only to go on Owners Direct, no other sites. So there doesn''t seem to be any particular pattern or consistency. Maybe just luck!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 08:46:08 AM »
From a renters point of view...i have stayed in some great villas,some of them have been some way out of the village although the views have been spectacular and the evening breezes welcome it has been an issue with constant taxi''s(especially if you go to the village a few times a day not necessarily together) ..even to go to the shop/supermarket...we now won''t stay anywhere not walkable with ease to the village and tend to return where we have been looked after and been comfortable ...like this year!!!
    It''s as they say horses for courses and some people will i''m sure be glad to be "out of the way".I also think people are booking so they have something to look forward to in these gloomy times...we decided knickers to it after mrs Lizard was made redundant at christmas..you can either mope about or chin up and get on with life!!we need our fix to look forward to !! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 08:55:13 AM »
I agree with Blue Lizard. We too will now only stay in accomodation that is within VERY EASY walking distance of the village, and last year we actually stayed in the village itself and have repeat booked for this year. I am happy to forsake the spectacular views for the convenience of being close to town and  not having the extra expenditure of taxi fares.

Offline Kalkankiwi

• KK
  • EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »
 Some rentals in these "out of the way places " are well served by the water taxis which run from 9am until 7:30 pm. Anyone using  the beach clubs  anywhere in Kalakn must pay a daily charge of between 7-10 YLT. If you use the Villa Mahal beach club then you are free to use their water taxi to take you over and back to the harbour if you wish.Patara Prince Resort and the Eagles Nest apartments have a supermarket on their doorstep and are both a twenty minute walk to Kalkan and not uphill. I agree coming back at night you need a taxi.Having stayed in town and out of town the  fabulous views from Kisla, by night its majical the welcome breeze ( when its 38 degrees) makes it an ideal location if you want peace and quiet but yet close enough to walk to town .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sudden jump in booking enquiries

Started by MartynE on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post May 19, 2016, 03:02:25 PM
by felicity
xx
How are bookings going for this year ?

Started by onelove on General Discussion

13 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 08:12:56 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Early bookings

Started by onelove on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 10:42:44 PM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
2018 Bookings

Started by alantj on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post September 21, 2017, 08:05:51 PM
by MartynE

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal