Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New York or Kalkan?  (Read 5061 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
New York or Kalkan?
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:55:32 PM »
Now then, here''s my dilemma.

My BH and I have actually managed to find a week where we can take time off together before the autumn really sets in (end Sept, beginning Oct). I''m up for a 10 day trip to Kalkan - flights are about £200 each on Travelrepublic, but BH wants 5 days in New York (we have Airmiles to cover the airfare) - the only other place we''ve visited more than once. I really love both, and it''s been 3 years since we were last in NYC and watching re-runs of Sex and the City makes me want to go back, but the lure of Kalkan is stronger ::)

What should I do? It''s cheaper to ask you than it is to ask Mystic Meg....but perhaps the response will be a bit one sided :o :o

My trip is in your hands...PS If it is Kalkan (as I suspect it might be on this site), how can I convince BH a water taxi is better than the Statten Island Ferry?

Ta

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2102.0
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: New York or Kalkan?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:04:08 PM »

Fiona and I went to NY in May for five nights; Fi was expecting to hate it because everything''s so BIG but she got the hang of it after a couple of days and finally loved it. We have both been having withdrawal symptoms since the series Six Degrees started - in almost every scene, we are going "we''ve been there!" or "do you remember that?"

It''s strange that two such totally different places can be equally addictive, but for entirely different reasons.

So, my advice would be - it''s obvious. Do both. 8)

Offline yelkenite

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:22:44 PM »
I''m surprised how this turned out actually; I just asked my wife (Rosib) what she''d have done.  She''d take New York.  Yes we love Kalkan and come back 3 times  a year every year since we bought.   Doesn''t sound like New York is a one off for you either but slightly less travelled perhaps?   Kalkan will always be there like the jewel it is but I think I''d take New York too.  Maybe not what you expected!  lol   Bill

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:16:41 PM »
I was surprised Bill also said NY!!!
Kalkan WILL always beckon, but I loved New York and if it''s a one off and I could go back to Kalkan at other times, I''d have to pick NY.

Ros

Offline jinfizzz

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 07:35:10 PM »
I''d ask him when to pack then Ros.   ;D

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 07:35:57 PM »
NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Derya

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »
Has to be NY!

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 07:40:41 PM »
Hi
Come on you lot! Is this called the EK forum, or the NY Forum? Are you all ill or something??
Kalkan EVERY time... ;D
Em
Em

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »
Me too Em. Has to be Kalkan then when you get back angle for a little pre christmas shopping in New York  >:D

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »
Given how good the $ is to the £ at the moment I would also go for NY. And - with no offence to any American on this forum- given how the visa regs etc keep on tightening up for US visits I''d be up for going while it''s still relatively easy.

(But I''d go to San Fran over NY any day :D)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 09:15:30 PM »
Doesn''t it depend on what type of break you both need. New York is exciting and needs lots of energy, Kalkan is chilled and relaxing and will be very warm. It''s only a hard choice if one of you will be ''buzzing'' and the other will be ''worn out''.

Offline Vieux con

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 10:31:50 PM »
Following on from Kalkan regular''s comment, isn''t there also a part of it that comes down to whether one is a city person or not? I worked on and off in ''the middle of nowhere'' on Long Island over a period of several years, and can happily say that during that period I spent two excellent weekends in Manhattan - most probably down to the people I was with. I was much happier spending time in the smaller towns and villages - and LI has plenty of good places to chill/party/whatever. 

Personally I don''t enjoy big cities - I suppose this comes from the fact that I''m a country boy, born and bred.

And I don''t - yet - have first hand experience of Kalkan, that will change in five days time, so I''ll shut up for now, and may ''vote'' again mid-August.

Whatever you decide, have a good one!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 01:11:52 PM »
thanks everyone...I was amazed by the amount of you that went for NYC :o

It''s just time together really and we''ll enjoy it whether it''s the madness of Manhattan or the relaxation of Kalkan. I''m a city girl who now lives in the country, but still works in the city. My BH is country born and bred and works within 10 miles of our home, so we appreciate the best bits of both. Unfortunately we won''t be able to get another week together until Christmas :( so visiting both places isn''t an option, sadly.

We''ve already booked to come back to Kalkan next June - granted with our two grown-up daughters in tow so it will be a very diiferent holiday - so BH is using that as his lever for NYC

We adore New York and Kalkan for their different merits, just need to make a decision PDQ.
I''ll let you know if The Boat House wins out over Kleo Bar.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 06:25:49 PM »
Hands down, NY wins!
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline xJessx

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
I haven''t actually been to New York. But this year I had a choice between Kalkan with my best friend, or visiting my sister while she was in New York. I chose Kalkan. And to be honest, I cannot imagine any place winning over Kalkan. Kalkan is truely magical.

Offline BevJam

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 05:52:06 PM »
Well Jess,
Why don''t you do what we''re doing and have a long weekend in both?!

My daughter is getting married in NY in early September, so I''m using 3 days of my hols and the weekend to celebrate the event getting back on the Monday straight back into the office to avoid the jet lag.

Then the followng Thursday we fly out to Kalkan and fly back Tuesday morning - again using the long weekend.

So Hot dogs and Cosmopolitans ( plus mega shopping!!) Followed by Kebabs and Efes and of course the EK get together in the Atlantis on the Sunday

What a compromise........ great.

BJ
Carpe diem

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Weather in New York

Started by JonJon on Weather

40 Replies
Last post January 16, 2019, 11:25:20 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
First time to Kalkan - Family of 3 - recommended restaurants in Kalkan please??

Started by Harrogate_female on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 01:48:16 PM
by howmad
xx
Transfer to Dalaman from Kalkan 24/10/2009 / return Dalaman to Kalkan 9/11

Started by Buster on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 11:23:26 AM
by Buster
xx
Should we go to Kalkan?

Started by jaylar on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 04:12:08 PM
by slodge

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal