Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Le Mans.....i loved it!!  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Le Mans.....i loved it!!
« on: June 17, 2008, 11:57:39 PM »
Mr B is a member of a club devoted to the type of car he drives, and each year they get a posse together to go to Le Mans for the 24 hr.
We decided to tag along this year....and what a fab time we had!
I''m not a big ''racing car'' fan, but i can appreciate a nice fast car and the ability to drive it.
The whole experience was excellent....from the driving in a 14 car club convoy from Boulogne to Le Mans, to standing facing the pits at the start of the race was one big buzz!
Great weather, great entertainment throughout the long weekend, and a chance to eat pain au chocolat in a field in France...what more could i ask for?!

Maybe some of you were there, or listened to/watched it on t.v...if ever you''ve thought of going along one year, i would definately  encourage you to give it a go!  :D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=1797.0

Offline Vieux con

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: Le Mans.....i loved it!!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 06:51:16 PM »
Would that be a German type of car by any chance?  ;)

Never been, often considered it, always something else seems to come up.

Spare a thought (or maybe not) for the Brit who got caught speeding in his Ferrari on the way down to Le Mans this year. Doing a modest 237km per hour, he must have just oozed charm all over the Gendarme, as he got away with just a fine - didn''t say how much in the newspaper I read.

However, said motorist also got flashed again on the return leg -226km per hour - and as luck would have it, yes, it''s the same radar, same Gendarme. This time they did the decent thing and took his licence - and his Ferrari.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:48:04 PM »
Things have certainly changed in France. The last time I went to Le Mans (in 2001) on the motorways to and from the circuit most of the outside lane was moving at 250kph, or more, with the police apparently happy just watching the traffic go by.   

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 10:41:56 PM »
Ooooh...not this year, alantj.
The gendarme were hiding all over the place with their speed guns, then pulling drivers over a good 10 mins later down the road.
In one case they had two gendarme on a foot bridge, seemingly spectators watching the cars go by, until you noticed the speed guns in their hands.  >:D
They then pulled over all who had been over the speed limit after the next toll booth, at least 10 mins after their original sighting.
We saw a number of cars pulled over and fined...inclucing one of our own convoy.  :(

Ah no, Vieux con...I''m informed its Japanese!!  :)
It really is an experience not to be missed...i''m ready to book for next year already!  ;D

Offline Blackpool

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 12:51:35 AM »
Well I never - a couple of Enjoy Kalkan Le Mans -ers!

I haven''t missed one since ''03, and was on the almost deserted Ferris wheel at Ford Chicanes for this year''s start. Bunged the guys plenty of Euro''s five minutes before the off and they kept us onboard for the whole of the first hour. It gives a great vantage point from which to watch the start.  ;D

I''m in complete agreement with you Mrs B : LM is one of those spectacular events that can be life altering and certainly enjoyed by anyone - motor racing fan or not. No wonder so many of us make the pilgrimage each year. Bravo ;D

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 12:41:18 PM »
Ooh u lucky thing, Blackpool...we meant to go on the wheel all weekend but had so much else going on we didn''t get round to it!
Mr B promises it will be one of the first things we do next year!!!  ;D
We''ve found ourselves appearing in the background in a number of pics on various Le Mans websites...some flattering, some not!!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Another first timer and loved it!

Started by marb100 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 02:05:30 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
First Trip: LOVED every minute

Started by nancynb on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 05:46:10 PM
by lorilou

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kitten at Utopia

Views: 2967
By: Chucky
Market Food